Still up in the air about stands

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
I'm still trying to figure out which stands to go for. Pit Bull or Cycle Cat.

1. What is the advantage of the converter front stand from Pit Bull? I know it lifts from the steering stem, but is this kind of stand necessary for front wheel removal? Can the front wheel be removed if using their forklift stand?

2. Is it easier to perform rear wheel maintenance with a forward or backward handle Pit Bull stand? It appears that you have to work around the stand regardless which way the handle faces.

3. What makes the Cycle Cat able to lift the bike when resting on the side stand?

Thanks!

I use the one from Handy Industries.

stands.JPG

1. I originally bought the Handy Industries stands (both for $99), but I recently had to remove my forks and bought the Pit-Bull New Front Stand. The stem stand is required if you're going to be removing forks, or the front wheel. It is a very tight fit though, and it uses the #6 adapter (I'm pretty sure on that, but double-check).

2. Not sure.

3. Don't know.

Pit-Bull quality is very nice.

1.  I originally bought the Handy Industries stands (both for $99), but I recently had to remove my forks and bought the Pit-Bull New Front Stand.  The stem stand is required if you're going to be removing forks, or the front wheel.  It is a very tight fit though, and it uses the #6 adapter (I'm pretty sure on that, but double-check).

2.  Not sure.

3.  Don't know.

Pit-Bull quality is very nice.
I can remove the front wheel with the handy but you are right that I can not remove the forks.

Another really cheap option is to use a scissor jack under the oil pan (with a piece of wood or towel between them). Saw this in the service manual. Of course you've gotta remove the plastics.

I bought the stands from Suzuki and like them. I guess I'm old school when it comes to universal stands. Universal usually means it doesn't fit anything. About twice as much as the others though.

www.nemocorp.com

I have their stands and they work great. Had the front wheel off with them. No, you can't take the forks off with these but I don't do that often. Also, with me on the bike (250 lbs) the stands are still sturdy. Also, if you mention my name (Brad Miles) you will get a discount.

It is a very tight fit though, and it uses the #6 adapter (I'm pretty sure on that, but double-check).
Number 6 pin is the one that Pit Bull says the Busa uses. I'm curious... how tight a fit is it? From pictures is looks like it touches the nose.
It is very close, and if you don't have the pin seated all the way in, it will push up on the nose of the Busa (baaaad).

I had problems getting it in (NO JOKES PLEASE), until I put a little lube on the pin (OK, YOU CAN JOKE NOW).  I used a little WD-40.

It does take a little bit of fiddling, getting the pin at the right angle, but once you do it a couple of times, it's no big deal.  If you really wanted to be careful, put an old cloth on the front fender.

When I first got it, it didn't "lock", so I was wondering how the hell it would lift the bike.  I think it needs to be loaded in order for it to lift the bike.  It's a well built stand.  I'll purchase a Pit-Bull rear stand shortly because I'm so impressed with the quality.

Good luck.

<!--EDIT|Juggler
Reason for Edit: "I hate typos!"|1138072310 -->

I bought these and love them for the price, they are strong and don't move around on you when your working on the bike. Can't beat them for the price. The only thing was it took about 2 weeks to get them because he was moving shops but it should be fine now.

http://checkeredflagmotorsports.net/

It is a very tight fit though, and it uses the #6 adapter (I'm pretty sure on that, but double-check).
Number 6 pin is the one that Pit Bull says the Busa uses. I'm curious... how tight a fit is it? From pictures is looks like it touches the nose.
It is very close, and if you don't have the pin seated all the way in, it will push up on the nose of the Busa (baaaad).

I had problems getting it in (NO JOKES PLEASE), until I put a little lube on the pin (OK, YOU CAN JOKE NOW). I used a little WD-40.

It does take a little bit of fiddling, getting the pin at the right angle, but once you do it a couple of times, it's no big deal. If you really wanted to be careful, put an old cloth on the front fender.

When I first got it, it didn't "lock", so I was wondering how the hell it would lift the bike. I think it needs to be loaded in order for it to lift the bike. It's a well built stand. I'll purchase a Pit-Bull rear stand shortly because I'm so impressed with the quality.

Good luck.
Do you have any pics to show how close?

Bought 3/4 electrical conduit used a pipe bender made my own. Patterned it after the suzuki ones. Cost me about 12.00.

CycleCat has a unique hinge arrangement on the left side. As you roll the CycleCat up under the back of your bike, the left lifting hook will be lower than the right. That's the reason you can lift your bike from the side stand. As you rotate the CycleCat's lever down to lift your bike it grabs the left side first, and as it does, the right hook locks in, and both hooks lift the rest of the way. It's a pretty amazing gadget. One person can perform the lift safely.
smile.gif
Hope this helps.

I'm still trying to figure out which stands to go for. Pit Bull or Cycle Cat.

1. What is the advantage of the converter front stand from Pit Bull? I know it lifts from the steering stem, but is this kind of stand necessary for front wheel removal? Can the front wheel be removed if using their forklift stand?

2. Is it easier to perform rear wheel maintenance with a forward or backward handle Pit Bull stand? It appears that you have to work around the stand regardless which way the handle faces.

3. What makes the Cycle Cat able to lift the bike when resting on the side stand?

Thanks!
1. The advantage is that you are getting two differnt style front stands. You can use the stand to hold the bike from under the forks. This allows ease of use to remove the front wheel. The second part of the stand/adapter can lift the bike from the lower triple. This allows for fork work/removable of the forks. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the converter setup.

2. Thats all in rider preference. They designed the new rear stand to face inward towards the bike to help out with peeps who have limited space in there garage/sheds. Both work well.

3. Very smart design from cycle cat. If you look at the stand design. From the website the stand looks like a breeze to use. Too bad its just so expensive. It would be a nice investment if you do not have someone handy to help you or are not comfortable in trying to lift the bike with the rear stand by yourself. I know Ive had my moments raising and lowering the bike off the rear stand by myself. I think the cycle cat stand would be a great investment. I myself have three front stands and two rear stands. I have the original front pit bull stand also with the new front stand, both lift from the lower triple. A T -Rex front stand that lift from the forks. Rear pit bull stand and a lockhart phillips rear stand.

I like the Handy stands I got. Seems very sturdy when up on them and easy to use by myself. One piece of advise if ya go with them get the spool type the swingarm bad type doesn't seem to get it off the ground as far and conflicts with the brakeline.

www.redlinestands.com

I use a front stand from Ian at Red Line. The rear I have is a old Suzuki stand.

Ian does not have a stand that lifts under the triple tree, yet. He is working on one that should work well.

I bought these and love them for the price, they are strong and don't move around on you when your working on the bike. Can't beat them for the price. The only thing was it took about 2 weeks to get them because he was moving shops but it should be fine now.

HAD HANDY FIRST GOT THESE NOW. VERY GOOD STAND BETTER THAN THE HANDYS. BEWARE OF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT CHECKERED.

HAD HANDY FIRST GOT THESE NOW. VERY GOOD STAND BETTER THAN THE HANDYS. BEWARE OF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT CHECKERED.
also got these.. took my a week to get them..
good product.. fair customer service.
i bought the additional spools..
ask Turbo-Torch for more info.

Back