Speeding LEO's

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
How many of you board members have wittnessed this: A LEO in a marked patrol car, driving 10 to 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. No lights on, not going anywhere in particular, just speeding, i.e. breaking the law!
There are usually a pack of cars speeding close behind, none of which gets a ticket. Is it legal for the police to casually break the speeding laws they enforce against the public and to enforce the speeding laws only some of the time??

Just for clarification, I respect law enforcement officers and appreciate what they do. Sometimes though, I gotta question what seems to me to be hypocritical?

Just wondering what everyone might think.<span style='color:darkblue'></span>

cops do whatever they want
here they go to the bars and take cash from the bartender and put it in their pocket for "security" work.
its common knowledge that bars that dont pay up- their patrons are more likely to get duis.

i made the mistake of questioning an officer one time, he did not like that at ALL. But i was right. I saw him go SPEEDING past me on the highway then pull into a gas station and went inside and got him something to drink. I just happened to end up at the same station he went to. He said, it really pisses him off when people question the law because they have no clue if they are going to a call and trying to lay low and whatnot.. I didnt tell him i saw him on the highway. I have a buddy who is highway patrol. He admits to cruising at a good clip occasionally. But he also said he's pretty lenient when it comes to pulling somebody and giving them a ticket.

cops do whatever they want
here they go to the bars and take cash from the bartender and put it in their pocket for "security" work.
its common knowledge that bars that dont pay up- their patrons are more likely to get duis.
Common knowledge huh, you must live WAY south in the great state of Texas.

Not to say that it doesnt happen, but just because a leo doesnt have lights and sirens on doesnt mean they arent going to an important call.

Don't think I like the way this thread is going...

Maybe BT won't notice.

Nothing to see here. Move along...

I saw a news show once that followed this topic.

The reporter purchased a radar unit (police type) and went "on patrol" in their news car. They took video of speeding non-emergency police cars.

As I recall the LEO's didn't like it very much and ticketed the driver for blocked vision through his windshield (the radar unit on the dash). I guess it's a no win situation anyway you look at it.

However, If a officer was deemed at fault for a speeding related accident, I suspect one would have a very good case.

Chris

Okay, since it seems to be a problem, next time I am on a highway/expressway,etc.., I will do EXACTLY the speed limit. Not one mile per hour more. For those who are "law abiding citizens" this will pose no problem. It will however create quite a traffic problem and possibly an accident due to people going 10-15 over and having to jam on brakes for the "train". Not to mention the attempts of some to pass to get to the front only to see me, doing the speed limit and no-one passing me.
wink.gif

I do respond to some non-life threatening, but needing my attention, calls with out the aid of emergency equipment. Soemtimes it is actually quicker and safer. I will take anyone for a ride, full blown lights and sirens down any busy road so you can see exactly how people react. IT IS DAMN SCARY.
mad.gif
Which is probably why we get a week of training just to learn how to get to calls. People really need to learn what to do when an emergency vehicles approaches. It does not mean hurry up and turn in front of it, speed up and get out of way, try to beat it to where you are going so you can turn, etc.. It means yield the right of way, FUGGIN MOVE, NOW.

In my jurisdiction we have had numerous wrecks (not accidents, because they could have been avoided) with emergency equipment. One involving a full size ambulance that took the lives of 2 VOLUNTEER EMT's (God bless you Heidi and Bill). All because people can't be bothered to pay attention and, GET OUT OF THE WAY, .
mad.gif

My day is comprised of a combination of the worst minutes of others entire lives. However, I am NOT immune to the law or above it. Actually I try to hold myself to a higher standard 24/7/365 because of my profession. For those who do not feel as such, you are giving us all a bad rap. Yeah, I ride the fastest made production bike in the world, and sometimes double the speed limit on open roads, so yes I would be a hypocrite if I write for speed violations. I do nothing that would cause harm to another person on my busa and personally will not write any rider for speed alone. Throw speed and lane splitting, speed in a residential area, speed out of control, etc.., and I have no problem writing away.

Someone posted they will never need a cop, or only the weak can't take care of themselves. I'm sorry you can not see the good in my profession. Maybe when you or a loved one goes into cardiac arrest at 0300 hours and a cop shows up with an AED and training to save a life you'll feel different.

Okay. I'm done. Merry Christmas, now pass the donuts
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

mad.gif

Although.....

There was the case of the cop who ran over a pedestrian's and his legs had to be amputated.

The case went to court....but the judge threw it out.

The judge said he didn't have a leg to stand on.  
smile.gif

Chris

(Doughnut calls don't count as a valid reason either!)
Uh, er, um, they don't
rock.gif

laugh.gif
I know we are all guilty of it (at some point in time).  All I'm trying to say is that Officers are not "Immune" to the laws that they are there to enforce.  They should be held responsible when they goof, too.

face7.gif

P.S. I will respectfully pay a speeding ticket if I get one, but I don't have to be happy about it, right?
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135369155 -->

I really don't want to cause a rukus. There are hippocrits in all professions. Just wondered how many times other people might of seen this situation. Another thread about getting a speeding ticket made me recall the situations, thats all.

PDBusa, I do respect your profession and what you, your brothers, and sisters do on the front line every day. You put your life on the line for each and every one of us by stopping the creation of anarchy. So, THANKS. I know exactly what you mean about emergency vehicles. Seems people only care when it is their loved one in the back of the ambulance.

Anyway not trying to cause trouble and maybe BT can delete this thread. Sorry, I never intended to cause trouble. I guess I should have thought more before typing. My bad.

Tom

No reason to delete thread, everyone is entitled to opinions of others professions. I happen not to like defense attorneys
biggrin.gif
I take no offense and have extremely thick skin. (partly due to the donuts)  
laugh.gif

Honestly, most in marked cars will drive faster only to not impede the flow of traffic. Sounds strange, but you heard it here first.

So, Doug, you saying there are no donuts?
wow.gif

Thanks PDBusa, that makes sense. I really like Krispy Kreme the best, especially when they are hot off the,,,,whatever it is they come hot off of!!!
biggrin.gif

My worst nightmare, a BUSA police bike!!

My worst nightmare, a BUSA police bike!!
That would be my dream come true!

Share? Donuts? Share?

Oh, okay, because it's Christmastime. But not the powdered ones, those are training tools for rookies only!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135369944 -->

laugh.gif

Back