Speeding LEO's

To the LEO's monitoring this thread a question: How do feel about speed traps?
Can only speak for my Dept.. High profile speed enforcement in rural/residential areas is usually directly related to the number of complaints recieved from residents.

On interstates it is a different story, but I'm assuming it's usually done in high frequency accident areas.

How do I feel about them? Not one way or another.

To the LEO's monitoring this thread a question: How do feel about speed traps?
Can only speak for my Dept.. High profile speed enforcement in rural/residential areas is usually directly related to the number of complaints recieved from residents.

On interstates it is a different story, but I'm assuming it's usually done in high frequency accident areas.

How do I feel about them? Not one way or another.
Doesn't the Hwy Patrol for your state monitor the Interstate's. St.Paul & Minneapolis (City Dept's) do very little enforcing of the Interstate. County Dept's do more enforcing, but its mainly a State Patrol thing around here unless in the immediate inner city, or a given department is responding to a felony call, or enforcing public awareness campaign over a holiday.

As far as speed traps, I think it's not the norm for the typical cop to tag in a 50 to 70 zone within 200 feet...than again some people are born "Tail Light Chasers" & would ticket their own mother for doing 32 in a residental 30 zone...however I would say this isnt the norm around here.

High profile speed enforcement in rural/residential areas is usually directly related to the number of complaints recieved from residents. [/QUOTE]

PDBUSA:
Thats the party line I would expect to hear you spew in front of the local news crew. I was looking for an HONEST answer.

To the LEO's monitoring this thread a new question:

How do you feel about ticket writing quota's imposed on you by your commanding officers?

High profile speed enforcement in rural/residential areas is usually directly related to the number of complaints recieved from residents.

PDBUSA:
Thats the party line I would expect to hear you spew in front of the local news crew. I was looking for an HONEST answer.[/QUOTE]
Sorry Bro., That's how it is around here. You asked, I replied.  I've got nothing to hide and no reason to lie. Take it for what's it worth or not at all. You don't know me and have no reason to question my integrity.

That's exactly the answer(s) I expected: political BS followed by a personal attack. All I did was ask a couple of direct questions. Nothing personal.
Don't complain if we civi's don't RESPECT your uniform. Respect is earned........

Don't want his thread to degrade any further so I'll end my participation there. It is after all Christmas. Oh dear....can I use the C word or are the PC police going to show up at my door with a warrant.....while the tweekers and gangsta's run wild in the streets.

In LA the fast lane, when not jammed up, always goes about 75-80 in a 65. I'm glad cops speed with the rest of us instead of doing 65 on the dot. I don't want traffic jams and 65 is just soo slow. I have no problem with it, speed on
biggrin.gif
We get complained on when we speed, and then we get complained on when we go the speed limit and it causes a log jam like you and PD mentioned... We can't win, I tell ya. No crap, I have had folks call in and complain because I was doing the speed limit in the right hand lane and slowed them down! When we run the speed limit on a four lane road where I work we end up lookin' like the pace car on a pace lap at Daytona.
wink.gif

I can understand folks having a problem with patrol cars absolutely flyin' low, but do those of you who are raisin' hell about 10-15 over really and truly want us to run dead on the limit and back traffic up? How do you feel when you get behind a log jam caused by a popo glued to the posted limit? My guess, and I'd be willing to put money on it, is that you are cussing us for all we're worth and then some in those situations.

Also, fwiw, Georgia speed detection laws require 10+ mph over the posted limit before a conviction can be had (doesn't apply to pacing but does apply to speed detection devices.. also doesn't apply to Georgia State Patrol. They can write at +1 over if they want.). So technically 10 over is for all intents and purposes only 1 mph over what is legally allowed by law which means that 15 over is only 6 mph over what is legally allowed. I don't run radar any more but when I did I didn't even stop someone unless they were 20mph over or more. The way the laws are written that's where speed sort of gets serious enough to bother with here. I will ride with the flow of traffic up to 10-12 over now and never give a second thought to pullin' anybody for those speeds.

And lastly, as PD mentioned, the way a lot of morons react to the approach of an emergency vehicle with lights and siren in operation it honestly is a lot quicker and *SAFER* most times to not "run code". I wish I had a dime for each time somebody locked it down in front of me in the fast lane, swerved off the roadway into the median/ditch, ran someone else off the road to move over, held their speed and blocked my path until they got where they were going to turn in the first place, sped up and drove like an idiot to avoid having to pull off out of the way, ran stop signs or redlights either causing or almost causing collisions because they focused on me and didn't know what to do, slowed to 25-30 mph in the left hand lane instead of moving to the right as required by law, etc... You'd be amazed at the stupid shid some folks do when approached from behind by an emergency vehicle running code, and sometimes even when it's not running code.
wink.gif
That's why it is absolutely quicker and almost always safer to just bust the limit (within reason of course) and simply be past them before they realize it's a cop car if you are trying to get to a call ASAP.

And lastly I don't see any reason to delete the thread. I have no problem with folks ventin' on the popo as long as it is done as it has been in this thread. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and as long as they present it in a mature manner and in accordance to the rules of the board I don't have a problem with it.
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135459892 -->

wink.gif

How do you feel about ticket writing quota's imposed on you by your commanding officers?
Of all the departments in my jurisdiction (I'm county) I only know of one that really cares how many tickets are written in a shift. They don't officially require it, but performance standards imply that an officer should average witnessing around 10 violations per 12 hour shift. In all honesty, in that jurisdiction DUI's are pretty common and usually result in 3-5 citations per DUI. So, two or three DUI stops would cover the average performance goal (Yeah, I know... I call it a quota too, but legally it's technically not one.)

My department doesn't give a crap if we write tickets or not. I know officers who have written less than 10 this whole year. Personally I average 10 citations a month (usually tag/insurance violations) with tons of warnings for "head up azz" and other traffic violations.

I wouldn't want to work anywhere that imposed a "quota", whether it was technically legal or not.

(Doughnut calls don't count as a valid reason either!)
Uh, er, um, they don't
rock.gif

laugh.gif
I really like doughnuts but will never eat one in uniform just so i dont fall into that stereotype!  
tounge.gif
Only the first 5 year rookies should eat Donuts  
wow.gif
 , everyone else should graduate to PIE
laugh.gif

I LIKE PIE, you name it, I LIKE IT
slider1.gif

Just say, "Race Ya, last one there pays"  
jump9.gif

laugh.gif

most departments dont have quotas i dont think, but small agencies get their revenue out of traffic tickets. we arent told we have a quota, but in a town like where i work we get maybe 3 calls a day for service, sometimes less so there is nothing else to do but run traffic. by the way, i only stop for 10 over but dont usually give out a ticket until 15 over, and i give out a lot more warnings than tickets.

That's exactly the answer(s) I expected: political BS followed by a personal attack. All I did was ask a couple of direct questions. Nothing personal.
Don't complain if we civi's don't RESPECT your uniform. Respect is earned........
First off, politics and policing should share only the first 4 letters in common, not ideals, beliefs, goals, etc..

Secondy, your questions and my replies were not personal, only when you insinuated my reply was BS did it become personal. My reply was not an personal attack on you, only a true statement. I am here not to spout off at the mouth, or spew political BS as you call it. You do not know anything about me or my Department to call BS.

Thirdly, You are 100% correct, respect is no longer a given. Yes, it used to be when the Police arrived in uniform it commanded respect. Unfortunately a$$hats have ruined a number of professions, mine included. Although respect is in fact earned it is also a two way street. One must give it to get it...

Finally, it is Christmas time. Regardless of season I do not use this forum for personal grandstanding, or political spewage. I let PH12 handle all the members of this board can take in the Smack Shack.  
smile.gif
Sorry, not my game.

Merry Christmas,
Hank out.
biggrin.gif

I used to be a deputy here in Tn. We played around one Sunday just to see how long the line would get. We drove the speed limit on a 15 mile stretch of highway, no red lights or stop signs. The line was approximately 2.5 miles long by the time we got to the end. Needless to say we were complained on.

Newmill, PD put it exactly right. We put extra emphasis on areas where we received the most complaints. The funny thing was the ones that complained were usually the first ones caught in the enforcement action.

To put things into perspective, I had a safety man tell me that driving over the speed limit was an unsafe act, regardless of the circumstances. I told him I would take him down the ramp in West Knoxville on I-40 at 55 mph on the back of my motorcycle. He could tell me just how fast I needed to go. He declined the ride.

I can honestly say that unless someone was weaving in and out of traffic, causing a problem, etc. we didn't pull one over for less than 15mph over the limit. We rarely had to go to court with one. They usually mailed the ticket in.

Dan

I am not even going to read all the posts.

I will say this however..

Most police DO obey the traffic laws.. and for those that dont.. I have this to say:

I have been let go numrous times when I should have been ticketed.

second, they put their life on the line everyday when they put the uniform on.. me personally. I am not going to get upset at the speeding a little..

Just my .02

just to let you know, as a police LEO. We only use sirens and lights to warn other road users we are there. We can break the speed limits if we wish to.I am the LAW!!!

just to let you know, as a police LEO. We only use sirens and lights to warn other road users we are there. We can break the speed limits if we wish to.I am the LAW!!! [/QUOTE]
You guys still assassinating unarmed civilians in the train stations too ?
guns.gif

just to let you know,  as a police LEO. We only use sirens and lights to warn other road users we are there. We can break the speed limits if we wish to.I am the LAW!!!
You guys still assassinating unarmed civilians in the train stations too ?  
guns.gif
[/QUOTE]
Jeez, who opened the door for this guy? Sounds to me like he spent to many nights wearing his pillow case for a mini skirt and Kool-aid for lipstick in some form of correctional center!

<!--EDIT|GSXTacy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135631043 -->

Back