Shotguns outdated for L.E.O. use?

Shotgun all day. If the either or was proposed. To many applications. Including non lethal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goatkart when I used to work on range the US customs agents would come monthly to qualify.
At the time they were issued Steyr Augs as well as shotguns like the pump you see above.
One of the agents used to always tell us a 12ga slug was THE ONLY round you could fire easily that would bust thru a boat hull and fill it with water and or sink it.
They use them here to stop boats who wont.

After hearing that I always wanted to see for myself.
We were in the islands several yrs ago and found a old beached Glastron.
I put one remingtom 2 3/4 1 oz slug right in the side of it.
It put a 2 inch hole in front and like a 1 foot hole on the other side.
From the expansion and all the insulation that chunk of lead flattened out and blew thru that thing like you could not believe.
We shot it like a 100 times with a mini-14 a friend of mine had as well and while it would go thru the holes would just get sealed right back up with all the styrofoam.
.45acp bounced off....look out....that was close....:laugh:

no pics though of that though.
I did take a bunch of fish pics but at the time we were just shootin' and did not think about taking any of that.

Steyr aug.... That's a sexy ugly beast. I want one. Heard they were gonna import more semi autos soon. Might be next after my ps90.
Posted via Mobile Device

There is an excellent copy of the Steyr available now.
Good price as well. Green and black short and long barrels also.

I was so jealous.
Customs would come in with about 20k rnds of ammo and burn it up in like 3 hrs.
They were super nice though.
As they knew who had to clean up all the shredded paper and brass they always saved me and my bro about 500 rnds and let us rip it up for awhile while they were packing up.
Too fun, Govt Gun !

Last edited:
Goatkart when I used to work on range the US customs agents would come monthly to qualify.
At the time they were issued Steyr Augs as well as shotguns like the pump you see above.
One of the agents used to always tell us a 12ga slug was THE ONLY round you could fire easily that would bust thru a boat hull and fill it with water and or sink it.
They use them here to stop boats who wont.

After hearing that I always wanted to see for myself.
We were in the islands several yrs ago and found a old beached Glastron.
I put one remingtom 2 3/4 1 oz slug right in the side of it.
It put a 2 inch hole in front and like a 1 foot hole on the other side.
From the expansion and all the insulation that chunk of lead flattened out and blew thru that thing like you could not believe.
We shot it like a 100 times with a mini-14 a friend of mine had as well and while it would go thru the holes would just get sealed right back up with all the styrofoam.
.45acp bounced off....look out....that was close....:laugh:

no pics though of that though.
I did take a bunch of fish pics but at the time we were just shootin' and did not think about taking any of that.

.45acp bounced off.... THATS SURPRISING...and scary as hell...

none the less, ill take fish picks in exchange for large holes in the sides of a boat hull for now... :)

in either case, thats still impressive as hell.... i think if i ever get a boat on the salty sea, ill be sliding a nice pump 12ga under the seat some place....

gotta fend off the pirates! YARGH!!!

It ain't no joke . When we go over we explore.
3000 islands . There are pirates and that ain't no joke.
Coast Guard finds boats all the time empty.
3 things
Accident
Pirates
Bermuda Triangle

next case !

I'll see if I can find a few lobster pics from a few yrs ago ?

It ain't no joke . When we go over we explore.
3000 islands . There are pirates and that ain't no joke.
Coast Guard finds boats all the time empty.
3 things
Accident
Pirates
Bermuda Triangle

next case !

I'll see if I can find a few lobster pics from a few yrs ago ?

No rush... im a huge scuba diving fanatic, so ill take fish pictures any old day :)

got a planned trip to the keys hopefully soon... girls relatives live on the canals i guess??? never been there so not sure what the setup is exactly..

Remember reading an article years ago on the best weapon for thinned skinned game...12 gauge came out on top. Most encounters for self defense occur at 15 feet or less so the 12 gauge would be my choice with a .45 ACP as back up...I remember one of my LEO friends telling that the bigger the bore the more intimidating it is.

Last edited:
Shotguns don't penetrate a person and then go on for another 30 yards and kill some bystander.

The soldier's in Iraq usually carry at least one 12 gauge for close quarters. They don't want to kill people in the background unless they actually need killing.

Back