A gun story

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
An attorney friend of mine sent this to me today....

You're sound asleep when you hear a thump outside your bedroom door. Half-awake, and nearly paralyzed with fear, you hear muffled whispers.
At least two people have broken into your house and are moving your way. With your heart pumping, you reach down beside your bed and pick up your shotgun.
You rack a shell into the chamber, then inch toward the door and open it. In the darkness, you make out two shadows. One holds
something that looks like a crowbar. When the intruder brandishes it as if to strike, you raise the shotgun and fire. The blast knocks both thugs to the floor.
One writhes and screams while the second man crawls to the front door and lurches outside. As you pick up the telephone to call police, you know
you're in trouble. In your country, most guns were outlawed years before, and the few that are privately owned are so stringently
regulated as to make them useless.. Yours was never registered. Police arrive and inform you that the second burglar has died.
They arrest you for First Degree Murder and Illegal Possession of a Firearm.

When you talk to your attorney, he tells you not to worry: authorities will probably plea the case down to manslaughter.
"What kind of sentence will I get?" you ask. "Only ten-to-twelve years," he replies, as if that's nothing.
"Behave yourself, and you'll be out in seven." The next day, the shooting is the lead story in
the local newspaper. Somehow, you're portrayed as an eccentric vigilante while the two
men you shot are represented as choirboys. Their friends and relatives can't find an unkind word to say about them..
Buried deep down in the article, authorities acknowledge that both "victims" have been arrested numerous times.

But the next day's headline says it all: "Lovable Rogue Son Didn't Deserve to Die." The thieves have been transformed from
career criminals into Robin Hood-type pranksters.. As the days wear on, the story takes wings.
The national media picks it up, then the international media. The surviving burglar has become a folk hero.
Your attorney says the thief is preparing to sue you, and he'll probably win. The media publishes reports that your home has
been burglarized several times in the past and that you've been critical of local police for their lack of effort in apprehending the suspects.
After the last break-in, you told your neighbor that you would be prepared next time. The District Attorney uses this to allege
that you were lying in wait for the burglars. A few months later, you go to trial. The charges haven't been reduced, as
your lawyer had so confidently predicted. When you take the stand, your anger at the injustice of it all works against you..
Prosecutors paint a picture of you as a mean, vengeful man. It doesn't take long for the jury to convict you of all charges.
The judge sentences you to life in prison.

This case really happened.

On August 22, 1999, Tony Martin of Emneth,
Norfolk , England , killed one burglar and wounded a second.

In
April, 2000, he was convicted and is now serving a life term...

How did it become a crime to defend one's own life in the once
great British Empire ?

It started with
the Pistols Act of 1903.

This seemingly reasonable law forbade selling pistols to minors or felons and established that handgun
sales were to be made only to those who had a license. The Firearms Act of 1920 expanded licensing to
include not only handguns but all firearms except shotguns.. Later laws passed in 1953 and
1967 outlawed the carrying of any weapon by private citizens and mandated the registration of all shotguns.
Momentum for total handgun confiscation began in earnest after the Hungerford mass shooting in 1987.

Michael Ryan, a mentally disturbed man with a Kalashnikov rifle, walked down the streets shooting everyone he
saw.When the smoke cleared, 17 people were dead. The British public, already de-sensitized by eighty years of "gun control",
demanded even tougher restrictions. (The seizure of all privately owned handguns was the objective even though Ryan used a rifle.)

Nine years later, at Dunblane , Scotland , Thomas Hamilton used a semi-automatic
weapon to murder 16 children and a teacher at a public school.

For many years, the media had portrayed all gun owners as mentally unstable, or worse, criminals.
Now the press had a real kook with which to beat up law-abiding gun owners.
Day after day, week after week, the media gave up all pretense of objectivity and
demanded a total ban on all handguns. The Dunblane Inquiry, a few months later, sealed the fate of the few
sidearms still owned by private citizens.

During the years in which the British government incrementally took away most gun rights, the notion that a citizen had
the right to armed self-defense came to be seen as vigilantism. Authorities refused to grant gun licenses to people who were
threatened, claiming that self-defense was no longer considered a reason to own a gun. Citizens who shot burglars or robbers or
rapists were charged while the real criminals were released.Indeed, after the Martin shooting, a police spokesman
was quoted as saying, "We cannot have people take the law into their own hands."

All of Martin's neighbors had been robbed numerous times, and several elderly people were severely injured in beatings
by young thugs who had no fear of the consequences. Martin himself, a collector of antiques, had seen most of his collection trashed or
stolen by burglars.

When the Dunblane Inquiry ended, citizens who owned handguns were given three months to turn them over to local
authorities.Being good British subjects, most people obeyed the law. The few who didn't were visited by police and threatened with
ten-year prison sentences if they didn't comply.Police later bragged that they'd taken nearly 200,000 handguns from private
citizens.

How did the authorities know who had handguns? The guns had been registered and licensed. Kind of like cars. Sound
familiar?

WAKE UP AMERICA ; THIS IS WHY OUR FOUNDING FATHERS PUT
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IN OUR CONSTITUTION.

I've seen this one. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it sure is the road we are on...

I recall the story, its truely a tragedy in every sense of the word. Replace gun with knife or club and add a sleeping wife or child to be protected and you've got a great Shakespere play.

I can see it happening in NY, even without the new laws, but now, its so much worse. These are not good times for the American people at all.

It is sad but one should also point out easier to accomplish there.
They may get ar15s and Glocks but I seriously doubt bubbas ever gonna give up his thutty thutty!
Some time in the future the govt will have to make the jump from saying they support the second amendment and associating it with hunting and outright dismissal of private ownership for anything as across the pond. The case now for Assault weapons is easy for most but even the staunchest supporters of these bans won't be able to rule against bolt action huntin' guns will they? An eraser to the 2A would have to precede outright bans on all wont it? The uk has no type of written guarantee. Hence it was easy for the govt to do as it wished. Here it would be a much more difficult task. No?

And here's my gun story.

There once was a gun locked in a safe........

:whistle:

Hmmmmmm hmmmmm ahem mmmmm

Years later...........

......there was still a gun locked in the safe and nobody got hurt.

Cap I'd also like to put you at ease and say Florida as is most likely your state has laws preventing home owners from being sued by criminals in cases like this. So while I may get charged with possession of an illegal weapon I won't get charged for BaaWastin' them. :laugh:

Cap I'd also like to put you at ease and say Florida as is most likely your state has laws preventing home owners from being sued by criminals in cases like this. So while I may get charged with possession of an illegal weapon I won't get charged for BaaWastin' them. :laugh:

That is the case now... If guns become illegal and AR's are banned then we could all be in this boat... Well I would have been before I sold my guns... Did I mention I sold my guns today?

I actually did sell my AR about a year ago. Can't say I miss it.. I have more fun shooting handguns and my 10/22's..

That being said, I can see why they want to ban them and at the same time I can see why people want to keep them. But in the grand scheme of things I can put the same diameter holes in a piece of paper than an evil rifle with my .22LR for pennies on the dollar..

I actually did sell my AR about a year ago. Can't say I miss it.. I have more fun shooting handguns and my 10/22's..

That being said, I can see why they want to ban them and at the same time I can see why people want to keep them. But in the grand scheme of things I can put the same diameter holes in a piece of paper than an evil rifle with my .22LR for pennies on the dollar..

Pretty sure my state calls your 10/22 an assault rifle.

Assault rifles are badly miscontrued. How about taking a semi auto 12 gauge and cutting the barrel down to the shortest legal lenth. Put 5 shells of double O buckshot in it and carry a sack of shells over your shoulder with easy and quick access with your right hand for reloading. As sick as it is... If your going to attack a room full of people which would do the most damage in the least amount of time? Add to that some drugged up loser on a suicide mission and we witness Obummer and his minions having their own mission. Their mission is to subvert the constitution until it becomes a meaningless document.

I don't understand why we as a People don't see the Bull**** coming from Obama's Mouth !! Doug has Common Sense !! I have Common Sense !! Do You ? DO YOU LOVE this Great Wonder Full Country of Ours ? The writing is on the wall and the FAT Lady has Sung.:rulez:............I Enjoy having the Option to Succeed or Fail !!

Very Sad.......Robert :please:

Your cut and paste is not completely accurate in regards to the actual facts of the case. :laugh:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Norfolk | Tony Martin: Crime and controversy

"Barras was shot in the back and died"
"When his trial began in April 2000 Martin argued that he had genuinely been acting in self-defence. But it emerged the pair had been shot as they tried to flee through a window."

But I understand you Americans operate in a different moral universe and shooting an unarmed man in the back as he is fleeing your home is acceptable to many of you. :laugh:

cheers
ken

Your cut and paste is not completely accurate in regards to the actual facts of the case. :laugh:

"When his trial began in April 2000 Martin argued that he had genuinely been acting in self-defence. But it emerged the pair had been shot as they tried to flee through a window."

But I understand you Americans operate in a different moral universe and shooting an unarmed man in the back as he is fleeing your home is acceptable to many of you. :laugh:

cheers
ken

If it were my home, it would have been as soon as he stepped foot in the door....

cheers
ken

I have read the version you linked to. So after reading this version I am correct in believing that I can break in to your residence grab anything and everything I can and when you present yourself and a firearm I am good to go as long as I turn and make for a window before you fire? If you happen to fire and strike me after I make my dash for an exit then you will sit in prison and I can sue you?

I am proud to be an Amercian and would not be able to handle being Brittish, Canadian or what have you. You force your way in to my residence it is going to be a battle. You will not just WALK away. My family is more important than your silly laws.

I have read the version you linked to. So after reading this version I am correct in believing that I can break in to your residence grab anything and everything I can and when you present yourself and a firearm I am good to go as long as I turn and make for a window before you fire? If you happen to fire and strike me after I make my dash for an exit then you will sit in prison and I can sue you?

I am proud to be an Amercian and would not be able to handle being Brittish, Canadian or what have you. You force your way in to my residence it is going to be a battle. You will not just WALK away. My family is more important than your silly laws.

Your next to last sentence is what would cause most problems. Technically if they are back turned to you walking away they are no longer a threat to you or yours. At that point you would not be defending yourself.
Dead burglar in home shot in back will confuse officers on scene enough so that most likely they will arrest anyone and let the courts sort it out.
Coming toward you, thru doors still approaching than yes easy self defense but it will be very difficult to convince anyone you were still in fear of your life as he was running away or half out a window.

That's why we have the Castle doctrine.. You are in my home, you azz belongs to ME...

That's why we have the Castle doctrine.. You are in my home, you azz belongs to ME...

Yes correct, technically. But again dead man in your home shot in back the officers will want to know how he was threatening you with his back turned.

Guy here listened to a prison murderers interview this morning, seems that none of the inmates actually purchased their guns let alone completed the background checks:banghead: I wonder where they would get them if only the cops had them? Smash & grab? Yikes. One guy said something like "Gee I hope us murderers aren't smarter than the president" :banghead:

Your next to last sentence is what would cause most problems. Technically if they are back turned to you walking away they are no longer a threat to you or yours. At that point you would not be defending yourself.
Dead burglar in home shot in back will confuse officers on scene enough so that most likely they will arrest anyone and let the courts sort it out.
Coming toward you, thru doors still approaching than yes easy self defense but it will be very difficult to convince anyone you were still in fear of your life as he was running away or half out a window.

Again, I will rob you blind. All I have to do is turn my back when you pull a gun on me. Yes I may be dead but my family will be rich and you will rot in prison.

I DON"T CARE!! Force your way in my home and I will fill you so full of lead your death cert will say you died from lead poisoning. Trained Marksmen and Military vowed to uphold the constitution and also protect my family at all costs. I would happily sit in prison and rot to protect my family or my country.
So call me a radical or whatever. Again Sorry Blanca I DON"T CARE. love ya brother but forced entry in to my home and you are getting anything and everythign I have to stop you. I don't care if my BIG OL' .44 scared you and you turned to run. Front holes or back holes it doesn't phase me.
This is what is wrong with our current laws. They get twisted.

Back