Shotguns outdated for L.E.O. use?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I wish I could remember where I read it, but the point was, something like an AR-15, was typically preferred to a Shotgun by many in Law Enforcement.

One hundred years ago, few wore body armour and the "scatter gun" was one of the few ways to disperse and unruly mob. Times and technology has changed.

If you were a LEO or are one, what would your "realistic" preference be? Anyone seeing shotguns going away from LEO vehicles?

Depends...if I'm going into a perps house, in tight corridors, I'll take a Shotgun over an AR-15 every time.

Depends...if I'm going into a perps house, in tight corridors, I'll take a Shotgun over an AR-15 every time.

I think in the article it was a "you can have this OR that" in your vehicle, not both. Given all the possibilities, I think most chose the AR.

I think in the article it was a "you can have this OR that" in your vehicle, not both. Given all the possibilities, I think most chose the AR.

Yeah, if that's the case then I agree, go with the AR15. I was just using a specific example as to where I'd prefer the Shotgun.
Instances like the two bank robbers in Hollywood a number of years ago or the VATech shooting situation are perfect examples of where I'd want the AR.

Why would anyone choose an AR-15 over a shotty? It's like being asked what you like better, motorcycles or airplanes. Both have tactical advantages in different situations. I wouldn't want an AR-15 for close quarters and I wouldn't wish for a shotty at long range. However, knowing a LEO very personally, I know one for sure that prefers a shotty. The service weapon will take up the slack for medium distances.

As a Police officer which I am not I would think 99% of all encounters where a firearm was needed it would be within a short distance.
As a LEO given the choice sure no problem Beretta 92 and an 870 pump shotgun.
Body armor will only act like a catchers glove and believe me with a 12ga slug packing around 3000 ft lbs of energy penetration wont matter cuz hes going down or over or back doesnt matter. Same thing with a mag load of 00. It will transfer enough energy to temporarily incapacitate them. I have no problem hitting a man size silohoutte at 100yds with a pistol. That and a shotgun would be all I would need.
I dont see many police getting into long distance gun battles, more like quick close up self defense engagements. Any more and they call in SWAT/SRT.

Inside of a home which do you think will penetrate more drywall walls ?
9mm FMJ
45acp FMJ
.223 FMJ
12 gauge slug

A slow moving pistol round will out perform a high speed rifle round on drywall or penetration test all the time. Same goes for water.

9mm will penetrate 4 pieces of drywall and 1 piece of exterior siding and keep going whereas a .223 round will go thru 2 tumble into the 3 and if it makes it thru that one it will splatter as pieces onto the 4th.

12ga slug will blast a hole clean thru almost all of them.
Large enough for you to see thru !

They both have their place and are excellent platforms when used for the correct purpose. You will typically see allot of AR and AK based rifles in rural areas, County Deputies especially can find themselves in many situations where a rifle is the only real option. As for most of us calling swat out that is not the case. In rural areas that is a joke 2 to 3 hour response time another hour to set up command post ect. Allot of the time in the rural areas it is still one Ranger one riot. I have both a shot gun and a rifle. I am a Police Firearms Instructor and a Police Officer and given the choice most would choose both.

give me a 12ga and a reasonable side arm any day of the week...

12ga has so much round versatility alone between lethal and non lethal rounds that not having one would be almost a handicap....

IMHO if im in a situation where the ar-15 is the required or preferable firearm, im in the wrong situation as an officer....

time to call for back up or fall back at least to a safe position where i can regroup and assess the situation! LOL

idealy though... all three would be nice :)

Last edited:
Tclause I appreciate your opinion as it matters more in this thread than mine.
You had your choice and have both but as thread poses if you had only one which would it be a 12 ga or a rifle.

I guess it prolly comes down to where you work ?
Dont know many border guards who would want a shotgun or many
Detriot LEOs who need a rifle.

As far as the swat comment.
Your correct in a rural area it is not an option.
But as an LEO poss with wife and kids home if you could would you not retreat instead of have a stand off gunfight with some nut and his AK ?
So what if he goes back inside the home and you have to wait 3 hrs.
At least you can tell your family about it afterward, right.

I realize not all scenarios can be walked away from as a cop and I am just....:whistle:

Tclause I appreciate your opinion as it matters more in this thread than mine.
You had your choice and have both but as thread poses if you had only one which would it be a 12 ga or a rifle.

I guess it prolly comes down to where you work ?
Dont know many border guards who would want a shotgun or many
Detriot LEOs who need a rifle.

As far as the swat comment.
Your correct in a rural area it is not an option.
But as an LEO poss with wife and kids home if you could would you not retreat instead of have a stand off gunfight with some nut and his AK ?
So what if he goes back inside the home and you have to wait 3 hrs.
At least you can tell your family about it afterward, right.

I realize not all scenarios can be walked away from as a cop and I am just....:whistle:

I would pick the shotgun as it is more versatile. As far as whether to wait comes down to each situation. I am assuming if it was one of your loved ones in danger you would expect me to risk my life for them as I gladly would.

Of course.
As mentioned not all can be walked away from.
I am not John Wayne or Rambo but I do carry with intent of defense of my own as well as others.
As I said in my other post many moons ago.
First order of biz as President for me would be to make a base pay for all LEOs and Teachers of 100k minimum.
Thank you for your service.

Remington makes nice shotguns.

Here are my 2.
Boat gun
Police Marine Magnum with Trijicon rifle sights

Home gun
1187 Police Mag
with Trijicon rifle sights as well.

There is a reason the pump has lasted over 100 yrs and is still popular.
It works !
Makes big holes in boat hulls....:laugh:

REMs.jpg

Of course.
As mentioned not all can be walked away from.
I am not John Wayne or Rambo but I do carry with intent of defense of my own as well as others.
As I said in my other post many moons ago.
First order of biz as President for me would be to make a base pay for all LEOs and Teachers of 100k minimum.
Thank you for your service.

:beerchug: Thanks

Back