Soon to be "NEW OWNER".....

SHOOTER15

Registered
I've owned and ridden "H-D" for soon to be 47 yrs....yes,I'm an old fart with more miles on my ass than most of you could imagine....nothing wrong with a Harley, just looking for a little more excitement as I get ready to retire.....I live about an hour away from "DEALS GAP" and love to ride it as often as I can.....seems like the Hayabusa would be a great bike to ride there and don't worry about my "skill level"...I was "flat-tracking" long before the current crop of "hot shoes" were a gleam in their daddys' eye.....which year would you guys recommend?...anything I should be watchful for relating to up-keep or maintenance?....how about dependability?...I'm a complete novice as far as metric bikes are concerned, but being an Engineer I have the highest respect for the level of quality I see in the overall design and execution of detail in the Suzuki brand.....any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
"SHOOTER"

You can't go wrong with any of the years though the 99-00' models had some starter issues. If they had the Suzuki recall done to them then they're fine. Starting in 03', Suzuki upgraded the ECU and made the Busa more user friendly. It's mainly finding what color you like and go from there.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
aboard!

Like GMbusa said - you really can't go wrong with any of the years! The '08's will be in the showrooms soon
wink.gif

Welcome aboard POPS (Shooter)  
biggrin.gif
 . I would have to agree with GMBusa. In addition I would be just a little concerned about the 02 model (starter issues) as well  from what I have read in the past, nothing serious but who wants a bike they may have to shorty invest money into , right.  As for dependablity, its a night and day difference compared to a Harley or any other rolling chasis bike. Theres a couple of members here that use to ride (own) Harley's, hopefully one them will chime in and give you their on personal reviews.

And they say you can't teach an old Dawg new trickz  
tounge.gif

(SHOOTER15 @ Aug. 29 2007,04:20) I've owned and ridden "H-D" for soon to be 47 yrs....yes,I'm an old fart with more miles on my ass than most of you could imagine....nothing wrong with a Harley, just looking for a little more excitement as I get ready to retire.....I live about an hour away from "DEALS GAP" and love to ride it as often as I can.....seems like the Hayabusa would be a great bike to ride there and don't worry about my "skill level"...I was "flat-tracking" long before the current crop of "hot shoes" were a gleam in their daddys' eye.....which year would you guys recommend?...anything I should be watchful for relating to up-keep or maintenance?....how about dependability?...I'm a complete novice as far as metric bikes are concerned, but being an Engineer I have the highest respect for the level of quality I see in the overall design and execution of detail in the Suzuki brand.....any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
                                      "SHOOTER"
I can imagine a LOT of miles, just for the sake of argument... but I will let that one slide.
smile.gif

Something no one has said yet, is budget for tires, especially in the beginning. I ate up my first tire in about three months, just point to point driving in the city.

I've yet to really find a repetetive element to the Hayabusa when consistent maintenance problems are discussed. But I am not a huge gearhead either, so that may just be me.

Obviously, the unrestricted originals are the best options, but there are ways around the top end limiter if you find a good deal on a late model Busa.

Although my 04 doesn't seem to have it, there is no question that Suzuki's are not good cold start bikes. They have improved over the years (with my 98 Bandit being the worst cold starter I ever had). I seriously doubt you will even notice, but it's something that you shouldn't be surprised at either. They are just a little touchy until they get warm.

I always recommend getting a good deal on a used model. With your seat time you should be able to look at one and know wether it is good or not... but the 08s will definaly be the glory hound for a while... and you can get them in the semi-Harley colors of Orange and Black (the best of both worlds in my opinion).

Good luck, and once you find what you are looking for, post some pics!

I agree with everyone else here. Its all pretty sound advice. One thing I will mention is that I think its great that you are making a move to a busa from an HD. A lot of HD guys are haters of metric. My busa is by far my favorite bike that I have owned. I have a 1600 cruiser too in my stable but after buy the busa she rarely sees daylight. Its a night and day difference between the 2 styles of bikes and the busa is a sick addiction. If I were you I would look for 05-07 Im not jumping on an 08 until there is some real feedback from owners on them. But thats just me. Good luck and welcome to your next addiction.

newbie.gif
ices_rofl.gif
Go with black because it's the fastest color. All joking aside, you can't go wrong with a Busa. The only problem I've had is a slight riding addiction +20K in the first year and the need to make appearance and performance modifications. This beast eats rear tires. I get around 4K on a rear, but you can get a lot less if you're very aggressive. You'll love it at the Gap, but regardless of years riding and experience you'll need to get to know this bike. Regardless of racing flat track, etc. This bike is fast, it is quick, and it will get you in trouble quick.

Enjoy and be Safe. What Engineering Field were you in ?

(dadofthree @ Aug. 29 2007,07:flamethrowing:)

newbie.gif

ices_rofl.gif
Go with black because it's the fastest color. All joking aside, you can't go wrong with a Busa. The only problem I've had is a slight riding addiction +20K in the first year and the need to make appearance and performance modifications. This beast eats rear tires. I get around 4K on a rear, but you can get a lot less if you're very aggressive. You'll love it at the Gap, but regardless of years riding and experience you'll need to get to know this bike. Regardless of racing flat track, etc. This bike is fast, it is quick, and it will get you in trouble quick.

Enjoy and be Safe.    What Engineering Field were you in ?
I want to thank all of you for your responses.....they were what I hoped they would be (positive).
I should have been more specific as to my reason for wanting a new bike......PURE LUST !.....I love the sound and aggressive look of the Hayabusa and although I wouldn't sell my '05 Springer Classic,I can, and will find room for the new toy in my garage.I am a 58 year old Elec.Engineer looking forward to having some fun in a new style of riding.....maybe I'll see some of you at the "GAP" ......................."SHOOTER"
smileyexhibit.gif

Welcome Shooter..
Theres a get together at the Gap the last weekend in September.. Most are staying at the Phillips in Robbinsville, Hope to see you there..
beerchug.gif

Better buy a good cover for that springer....you wont be riding it much! LOL Welcome aboard!
beerchug.gif

(GSXTacy @ Aug. 29 2007,10:20) Better buy a good cover for that springer....you wont be riding it much! LOL Welcome aboard!
beerchug.gif
It'll make a nice coat rack for hanging his M.C jacket and helmet.  
biggrin.gif

Welcome Shooter- all I can say after having just rented a is, be prepared for a wake-up call.. they're apples and oranges
biggrin.gif

Enjoy the ride.

BF

welcome and goodluck

you seem confident,maybe a little to confident.I know my friends who ride HD who jumped on my bike for a spin were nothing short of scared after they came back...being so used to able to "twist" the throttle on there bikes and have a somewhat gradual increase in speed doesnt even compare to what you are about to experience.if i were you I would go into it slowly and not think that because you have all these yrs rideing you can just jump on a busa and go haveing never even ridden a "metric" bike....just lookin out for ya bro.....goodluck and hold on
beerchug.gif

(DEVLDOG @ Aug. 29 2007,11:31) welcome and goodluck

you seem confident,maybe a little to confident.I know my friends who ride HD who jumped on my bike for a spin were nothing short of scared after they came back...being so used to able to "twist" the throttle on there bikes and have a somewhat gradual increase in speed doesnt even compare to what you are about to experience.if i were you I would go into it slowly and not think that because you have all these yrs rideing you can just jump on a busa and go haveing never even ridden a "metric" bike....just lookin out for ya bro.....goodluck and hold on  
beerchug.gif
DEVILDOG[/b].......you are absolutely correct in you assessment of the difference between a H-D and the Hayabusa....I recognize that and appreciate your looking out for me !....too often I have seen riders of my age and experience jump on a bike unfamiliar to them,and end up making a complete fool of themselves... or worse !.....my many years of riding are a testament to my understanding of this fact and I plan to continue.....I'm not overconfident and I really don't mean to sound that way....I do however, feel that my many years of riding ,as well as a very healthy dose of common sense, will assure me a delightful transition from the H-D to the Suzuki....I look forward to the learning experience !........."S<span style='color:burlywood'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span>HOOTER"

Back