helpful tips for a soon to be rider

kinghomeboy

Registered
ok well first off i wanna say i cant wait not much longer till i take the msf which as i know and alot of you suggest is very helpful in itself so yea then soon after i can get my license just cant wait but whil ei do i decided to ask what would be some very helpful tips for me to be startin out knowing any advice is highly appreciated

Keep it within your limits! If you go riding with some friends, don't try to keep up if you're uncomfortable. They'll wait for you at the next stop. Ride within your limits. A lot of crashes happen because someone tries to show out, or prove themselves. Don't do it. You'll just prove that a human body can slide very well across asphalt. Always watch for cagers. (car drivers) You ARE invisible. You would be surprised the number of people that say a car turned in front of them while the rider had eye contact with the driver of the car. Then the cager says "I didn't see you." Last but certainly not least. . . WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

and what type of bike are you planning on to start out? at your age, insurance is going to be an issue (and a good reason for that)

Do keep in mind that hormones are going to be an issue, not control... many kids die or get seriously hurt on bikes due to the exuberance of being young and invincible... (been there myself)

Start out slow and easy, and when you think you have controled the beast, Think again. Sport bikes can get out from under you in a wink of an eye.

and what type of bike are you planning on to start out? at your age, insurance is going to be an issue (and a good reason for that)

Do keep in mind that hormones are going to be an issue, not control... many kids die or get seriously hurt on bikes due to the exuberance of being young and invincible... (been there myself)

Please don't turn this into a busa as first bike thread. . . That's not what he asked.

o nah i know that definitly not get a busa as a first bike way too big a beast for a starter lol...but im gettin a ninja pretty sure a zx7 might be wrong w/ the numbers...but yea and yea i am a very cautious and mature for my age i know to not push my limits and for sure the gear thing is a must lol :p...and on the insurance i checked w/ progressive it wont be actually that bad since ill have taken the course and i'll be 18 very soon and all but yea i know thats online and ima check w/ the local progressive guy in town to like make sure of it and all

Last edited:
Seems like he might just have a good head on his shoulders.

OHHHHHH WAIT of course he does . . . He's from OKLA.

Broken Arrow Boy here.

ok so far lots of good tips btw lol but i was wonderin if any1 can maybe give me some tips on maintenance and all cuz yea im not much the mechanic but id definitly like to learn how to work and do lots of stuff w/ my bike on my own.

yea broken arrow is awesome somewat far from it myself but was there several times when i was in wrestlin several years back

o nah i know that definitly not get a busa as a first bike way too big a beast for a starter lol...but im gettin a ninja pretty sure a zx7 might be wrong w/ the numbers...but yea and yea i am a very cautious and mature for my age i know to not push my limits and for sure the gear thing is a must lol :p...and on the insurance i checked w/ progressive it wont be actually that bad since ill have taken the course and i'll be 18 very soon and all but yea i know thats online and ima check w/ the local progressive guy in town to like make sure of it and all

make sure they give you a "Good" quote... I myself have had one quote and then they back off and give me a new one... They will need the exact bike you are purchasing.. If you pay cash for the bike and only carry liability, you will save a ton... bike write offs are pretty high for anyone under 25 and so they pay the lions share of premiums..

When you get your bike and need to do a service.. search it out on here for the just of the procedure or post up a question anytime.

Make sure you keep your chain clean and lube it after every ride while it is still warm.

As you will learn in the MSF class...always do a pre-flight check.

ok so far lots of good tips btw lol but i was wonderin if any1 can maybe give me some tips on maintenance and all cuz yea im not much the mechanic but id definitly like to learn how to work and do lots of stuff w/ my bike on my own.

yea broken arrow is awesome somewat far from it myself but was there several times when i was in wrestlin several years back

Service manuals are available for pretty much anything. Sometimes you can find free ones on forums. (like here we have the hayabusa service manual) If you can't find a free one they're available for usually around $75. Anything you have questions about you can ask. Not sure if someone here will always have the answer if you get a kaw, but we'll do whatever we can!

And if we have taught you anything.

Always Always Always wear your helmet...

57c6_1.jpg

But it always seems to lead to that though. Unless they know somebody, they're on this site for a reason.. One second they're telling you they appreciate your opinion and your right about a smaller cc bike to start with, then they come back a week later with their MSF license and a new Busa stating how much more they wanted the Busa and how they will take it easy and blah blah blah. It's not even worth talking about the talk anymore.

Were beyond beating the dead horse, it's been buried and were pounding on the headstone.

Please don't turn this into a busa as first bike thread. . . That's not what he asked.

Last edited:
New rider [any rider] loose the ego.Just have fun.Ride for you and noone else.Alot of riders never learn this,and never know how much fun it actually is.Enjoy:beerchug:

well first i'd like to say about the busa as a first bike that is actually the reason i got on (hate to admit) but i got on here to ask about it bein good as one...anyways thanks to the many ppl on here who ,from all i've seen over my short few months on here, that yall are very caring and considerate towards other riders and for this i am grateful cuz if not i would have made a huge mistake in gettin that bike...anyways through talkin w/ a few of the members i have learned alot as to wat bikes are good and not good for a beginner, so thanks to all you guys on here for helpin me see my error of thought and now even tho i wont own a busa for a good several years im still glad i got on this forum and i hope to meet and become good friends w/ you many kind ppl ...but back to topic lol thanks for the advice i am thankful to all of you and once i do have my license and all i cant wait to hopefully get to meet and ride w/ a few of you folks and hopefully all the questions im sure i'll have wont get annoyin xD (btw sorry for this long off topic post)

Back