Headed to the Dragon for my first time..

J'Man

Registered
Anyone else from the forum going to be there by chance the weekend of 8/6? This will be my first trip there so any tips on roads and cops would be helpful. Also curious if anyone knows if they'll mess with me since I have a vertical license plate?

Last edited:
A group of us are going to be there on the 7th of August. Staying at the Phillips Motel, if we can get room. leaving on Sunday. Right now there will be 4 busas, 2 GSXR 1000s, and 2 Buells in our group, so if ya see us give us a shout. We should arrive at the gap mud morning on the 7th.

There will be cops. Just ride your own ride and stay within your limits and you will be fine. Look at google maps for roads around the gap to ride. 28 to Robbinsville is a great road and then back to the dragon. Its a great loop. The Foothills Parkway is also a great road. Hope to meet up with you there.

My last trip was over a year ago. my experience= get out early, weekends are packed and few who shouldnt be on a bike much less at the dragon. Cops were parked every coulple of miles esp on the tenn. side. dont know about your plate though. check the website Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC they always have really good info. have a great ride and be safe its worth the trip.

Also some really good roads, not as twisty as the dragon but close, not as crowed and a ton less cops. 181 between morganton and boone.(big 2 lane sweepers) 226A boone area(i think it runs by grandfather mountain) comparable to dragon IMHO as far as bang for your buck.:beerchug:

A group of us are going to be there on the 7th of August. Staying at the Phillips Motel, if we can get room. leaving on Sunday. Right now there will be 4 busas, 2 GSXR 1000s, and 2 Buells in our group, so if ya see us give us a shout. We should arrive at the gap mud morning on the 7th.

There will be cops. Just ride your own ride and stay within your limits and you will be fine. Look at google maps for roads around the gap to ride. 28 to Robbinsville is a great road and then back to the dragon. Its a great loop. The Foothills Parkway is also a great road. Hope to meet up with you there.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the cops. From what I've been reading it sounds like they are looking for any reason to pull you over. The wifey will be pissed if I come home with an expensive souvenior. :whistle:

Last edited:
My last trip was over a year ago. my experience= get out early, weekends are packed and few who shouldnt be on a bike much less at the dragon. Cops were parked every coulple of miles esp on the tenn. side. dont know about your plate though. check the website Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC they always have really good info. have a great ride and be safe its worth the trip.

Also some really good roads, not as twisty as the dragon but close, not as crowed and a ton less cops. 181 between morganton and boone.(big 2 lane sweepers) 226A boone area(i think it runs by grandfather mountain) comparable to dragon IMHO as far as bang for your buck.:beerchug:

Thanks for the route info. I thought I remembered another route others were talking about that wasn't as congested. I'll have to try this one out. :beerchug:

My license is vertical and have had it on the dragon numerous times. I was also stopped on the dragon this past Spring bash and nothing was said of my tag.

Have a great time and ride your ride, do not get target fixated and look ahead into the curves!

-Get up the hill early
-Take a trip on the Cherohala Skyway (you will see the signs for it)
-Make a pass up the Dragon and look really hard for obstacles or risks in the road before making a hard run
-Do not cross the yellow line and watch for those that do

I have been up there several times and my brother actually moved from Iowa to 10 miles from Deals Gap so that we can ride the Dragon more often. It is a blast, just enjoy it and don't over ride yourself.

Our Busa is a heavy bike, make sure you go into turns within your skill level. You can always come out of the turn fast when you see your exit! Be smart, you'll have the time of your life. Some of the best riding in the SE.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am thinking of just riding up there one of these weekends...

I love it up there, have been many times. Check out Blood Mountain as well in north GA.

I might need to roll that way and meet up and ride with you guys then!!!

Parson's Branch Road leading into/out of Cady's Cove and Deal's Gap IS NOT a road ... it's a mud trail, just in case it looks tempting on the map. Unless you wanna fjord about 15 streams on a rugged pioneer mountain wagon trail, steer clear!

And you're gonna love the Dragon! Plan on riding it a few times ... once to familiarize and a few more to get your groove on.

Also, if you have the time, check out Highway 209 that goes from Fine's Creek to Hot Springs, NC. They call it "the Rattler" .... 290 curves in 24 miles. No traffic, no cops, and a beautiful ride.

It'll land you in Hot Springs, NC. Ask for "JC" at the only diner in town. Unless booked, he'll rent you a pristine cabin on the river with a clean working hot tub for those sore muscles, full kitchen, mountain for a back yard, three bedrooms & two bathrooms for @ $100. Great, honest guy & you can't believe the deal.

Ken, you guys be sure and dont invite me....:poke:

Seriously I have some guys wanting to ride it too. Then Sept Fall Bash will be here in no time at all.

Also add one TLR1000. Jay is going to join us as well. Cottage 202 booked for Sat night.

Remember there is no cell coverage on most of the dragon/roads in the area. People that crash and need major medical will find themselves 2hrs from trauma care. This could be too long. Think before you twist the throttle. Don't ride alone.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info. Greenbean, come on and join us. We're going right through Asheville on the way and should have enough room on the trailer for one more bike. :thumbsup:

Since it sounds like there isn't much of a cell signal does everyone want to meet up somewhere in Robbinsville Saturday morning? Place/Time?

Back