noob question

kinghomeboy

Registered
ok i know this'll be a big noob question but i am getitn into bikes alot soon gettin my own and was wantin to know wat are ways i can tell the differences between the bike brands so that even if not told i coudl tell the brand i think i got some ideas or can just tell w/ certain bikes but yea hopin to get some tips cuz i dont wanna be ignorant over this stuff

"ANYTHING behind you ???.....is NOT a HAYABUSA !!!" Glad I could help..anything else, just let me know.... :oldcool:

basically just wantin to know ways of tellin the difference between the different brands of motorcycles like features that would suggest its brand or other things

You mean for something that has been custom painted and doesn't have any decals?

This does not mean Suzuki....this mean Yamaha...

Yamaha.gif

Now, as far as most manufacturers of Japanese motorcycles, due to relative similarities, it will take a while to be able to discern between the styles. Usually, most motorcycles have their name flagged across the different cycles in different ways. When the bikes are purchased, normally, some folks like to scrub off the brand decals and leave just the models. Suzuki runs GSXR's, Kawasaki runs ZX's, Yamaha runs YZ's, and Honda runs CBR's. Usually these will get you in the ballpark. BMW's have horizontally opposed engines. KTM's range from larger off-road, to svelt track bikes. Star are just plain strange V-twin looking pieces of artwork. Ducati says Ducati with a 3-digit number on the side, but they're typically a V-twin driven machine as are some models of the Japanese manufacturer crowd.

Just start looking around at your local bike night, and start inventorying the different models. In a few weeks, you'll be able to discern quickly as to what you're looking at in your rear view mirror.

Oh, I did leave out Harley Davidson, but those are easy... :super:....to beat, that is........

Last edited:
lol ooo burn on the harley lol thanks for the tips lol ...tho i will say harleys are good for lots...such as showin people the comparison of a harley as compared to a busa, THE real motorcycle

Go to the manufacturers web sites, get and read all the mags you can and over time you'll start to catch on. If the bike has a custom paint job and no decals and is going 100 miles an hour it may still be hard.???

Nothing beats a subscription to Cycle World and Motorcyclist. They routinely publish the exact same reviews, but at least you'll gain a greater exposure to the terminology and technical features that each bike has. I've had both subscriptions for 6 years now and have read every issue front to back.

I agree, get a subscription to some mags. (BIKE MAGS!)
It just takes alot of time looking at bikes and reading about them, talking to people about them, etc to be able to discern different bikes. Just like cars. However, with bikes, it is alot harder, and very different for cars. Since bikes are more performance oriented, the designs are typically closer than are cars. Crotch rockets look similar, dirt bikes look almost identical. It just takes experience. For example, gsxrs have a kind of diamond shaped, single headlight, rather than the dual 'eyes' kind of look. a bike with an undertail exhaust may be a cbr, if it is stock. You can always tell a KTM by the angles. Ducatis and Buells have very distinct looks.You should definately be able to pick a Busa out of a crowd. Its all in being familiar with all the various shapes and angles that the manufacturers put into their bikes. With dirtbikes, sometimes it is as easy as looking at the color. However, motorcycles are very widely customized. There are alot of custom bikes, so once you seem to think you have it down as far as stock bikes go, you see a custom, and may be confounded.

Back