New Helmet

kinghomeboy

Registered
ok well im about to be gettin my first bike and will be takin the safety course in the nearby city, tho the course isnt till october and im pretty sure i'll have my motorcycle b4 then i might just be like gettin on it and sorta gettin a feel for it and all...but wat im wantin to know is the opinion of all you experienced riders on helmet choices i know every1 has their opinions and i'd like to hear yours about a helmet which you think is the best cuz im definitly not goin to be gettin on my motorcycle w/o one so plz can i get some suggestions of which brand to purchase

My personal fav so far is the Shoei X-Eleven. Very light and relatively cool in the summer (great air flow). A tad noisy but I usually listen to tunes while riding anyway. The downside is that it ain't cheap. I had a Scorpion before that... good at protecting your head and its quiet but the air flow is not as great and it is HEAVY. I have seen so many guys buy mediocre helmets only to hang on to them for a few months and then buy an Arai or Shoei, myself included. I personally would say if you have the extra cash available, get a Shoei or Arai.. they have different models for different shaped heads just get the one that fits your head shape... It needs to fit snug too. If it feels slightly too snug, it is probably the right one.

ok cool thanks man, and yea i hear alot of ppl on here talkin bout airi and shoei so i sorta figured they must be really good

How much have you budgeted for gear? Remember the helmet is only one part of it... yes, the most important part.... but only one part of the needed gear. The best helmet is going to be one that fits and that you will wear. I like the way Shoei fits my head and the way the shields release and install. However they will kill a riding gear budget pretty quick. HJC and KBC has some decent helmets for the price. If you don't have a bike yet, try to stay with neutral colors on your helmet and gear. Silver/gray/black combos will work with almost all bike colors.

Don't forget a jacket, gloves, boots, (and even a pair of riding pants would be a good thing.)

Where have you signed up for your riders course? Pauls Valley or Oklahoma City? If you need a few tips to prepare for the course.... give me a yell.

If you get a chance to come to OKC, stop by Cycle Gear. They have a very large selection of helmets to try on. Fit is important!

I currently have Scorpion Exo-700 Raider, and (2) HJC CL-SP models. I love both brands but give the Scorpion the edge for comfort. I have had Shoei in the past, and they were great, much better ventilation, but not enough other advantages for the price.

I wear an XL, so weight is, well, laughable. No matter the brand.

Just my opinion.

hey Professor, yea im signin up for the 1 in okc w/in a week so yea you think maybe you could give me that advice i coudl sure need it and it'd be highly appreciated hehe and yea i think i will stop by there if i get the chance

hey Professor, yea im signin up for the 1 in okc w/in a week so yea you think maybe you could give me that advice i coudl sure need it and it'd be highly appreciated hehe and yea i think i will stop by there if i get the chance
My opinion may be weighted because I teach here but...
If coming to OKC, I highly recommend OSU-OKC. By far they have the nicest facility and training range in the State (likely one of the best in the country). We should be moving to an even nicer new building in the next few weeks. I also think the instructors are held to a higher level here.

Below is a satellite view of the facility. The rectangle area is the riding range. Actually there are two ranges in that area with plenty of room. The concrete range is in a secure area instead of a shopping center parking with damaged blacktop open to the public traffic.

osu_okc.jpg

Here is the classroom material if you want to start reading it. We cover all the needed material in the class, but some find it helpfull to have already read it.

http://msf-usa.org/CurriculumMaterials/BRC_Handbook_Vs71_noprint.pdf

You need over the ankle footwear for the class. Ideally they should be leather with rubber sole. Motorcycle specific would be better, but hey there is that budget deal again. Very large heavy boots can interfere with getting used to the controls for a newer rider. You want something that covers the laces if possible. Whatever you decide to use, you want them to be broken in. If you show up with brand new boots you never have worn, it is not going to be a good weekend. Get used to those boots!

Something like these work danged good!
highwayaquaboots_310x310.jpg

If not using a full face helmet (or you are using our supplied helmet) you will need eye protection on the range. Plastic lens sunglasses are suitable for the range exercises.

You will need gloves (full fingered). Leather, motorcycle specific is best.

Long sleeves are required. Bring a couple of long sleeve shirts. A jacket is best but even a ventilated one can get very hot on the range at slow speeds. A long sleeve shirt is acceptable on the range, denim would be better, bring a jacket as well.

If you have some light rain gear, bring it. If it rains we still ride. If you don't have any, consider buying a cheap one at wall mart or somewhere. It won't last in street riding, but even a cheap $10 suit will work on the range. I use frog togs at the range myself.

If you have access to a bicycle, ride it and work on your slow speed balance, looking in the direction you want to go. Keep your eyes level with the terrain, don't look done at the pedals, ground, or controls. Practice turns and turning your head in the direction you want to go. Looking for the target/exit to the corner but not looking down.

Work out your left hand with something to improve your grip. Squeezing a ball or better yet, there are some exercise devices made for it. There is a lot of clutch use and I see a lot of left hand fatigue in most riders.

Hydrate your body well for a few days prior to the class.
Get some good rest the day or two days before. Again I see quite a bit of fatigue on the range and it impairs the performance. If you want to go out and see OKC night life, and play, plan on staying an extra day and do it AFTER the class is over.

ok thanks alot man, im definitly gonna go for the osu-okc one now lol sounds like lots of fun i'll make sure to follow those tips, and just askin think i might be able to get your name so that when im up there i know ya and we can chat a bit or somethin

There are usually only 4 instructors working per weekend. We have about 10. Just ask for Rick.

OSU-OKC usually has a waiting list a couple of months, but I don't think you can beat it. There is a new guy in the Pauls Valley area. But, I haven't heard anything about him or his places.... good or bad.

Go to a dealer or several and try some on.

Different brand helmets fit very differently.

Your most important criteria is quality and fit.

Once you have figured out what you want go to places like this to find the deals.

http://www.compacc.com/bargain.cfm

hey every1 thanks so much for the feedback and i think i've decided to go and get me a shoei x-eleven black, thanks again every1

Back