About to change plugs!

Nice job, I have yet to change the plugs on my Hayabusa. I completed the job several times on my GSX-R 600 though, and am sure it is right along the same lines.

Looks like you did a great job. To me, part of the fun of owning a Hayabusa is doing your own work on it. You will find as time goes by you will take it apart just to clean it up and check on things. That plug looks like something was spilled on it while it was in the hole, like brake fluid or something. What you going to attempt next? Mabe chain service?:laugh:

Good job. :beerchug:
I enjoy doing my own work on the bike. You get satisfaction of doing it...also the frustration if something goes wrong, but at least you know it went wrong and can remedy it.

The Org is a great place to ask any and all questions when you do work on your bike.

Looks like you did a great job. To me, part of the fun of owning a Hayabusa is doing your own work on it. You will find as time goes by you will take it apart just to clean it up and check on things. That plug looks like something was spilled on it while it was in the hole, like brake fluid or something. What you going to attempt next? Mabe chain service?:laugh:

I do wanna change the chain but maybe next week :laugh:. The pain in my back and my legs is still killin me....:banghead:

Good job Bro! Im glad you posted up cuz Im about to attempt this on my own for the first time. Good info you passed along here, thanx!! :thumbsup:

Great job and write up. I would say water got thru the coil pack (boot) and just sat on top of the spark plug for a long time and caused the corrosion you see on one of the plugs.

It took you a couple hours but that was from the very start of removing seat, etc and taking pics, and taking your time, not just changing the plugs. Not a bad amount of time if you ask me.

The only suggestion I would add to your list is to coat the insulator (white porcelin) part of the spark plug that comes in contact with the coil cover with a dilectric grease. This will prevent the plug from sticking to it and making removal much easier. If you ever had the rubber boot melt against the insulator you know how much of a hassel it can be to remove without damaging the boot.

Anti cease on the threads and dilectric grease on the porcelin.

Great job!!
Questions: How many miles on your bike? And I wonder if those are the factory plugs.
(all members) How often do you guys change your plugs. Do you do it at your own certain milage or from the factory recomendation?

1. If you have a compressor, blow out the area where the spark plug is before removing the plug. Small stones and debris can get in there and fall into the engine when you take the plug out.

2. Take care when you remove the coil pack and boot. I unclip the wires at the connector to the coil, gently pull and twist on the boot to remove.

3. Check the gap on the plug, they are close from the factory but you may have to regap some of the plugs.

4. Don't overtighten the plugs when reinstalling.

Let us know how it went!:thumbsup:

what is the gap of our plugs suppose to be

Back