few questions-spark plugs

hemi

Registered
picked up some new plugs so i can change them this weekend along with new air filter. I know the stock part # is CR9EIA-9, dealer gave me ngk CR9E plugs and said they are the stock one's. I'm assuming he is correct, but the guys at this dealer are known to be morons, like forgetting to bolt my gas tank back down after i had to have some recall work done once. Also, do u guys check the gap on the plug before install, not sure what the gap is anyway but i seem to have lost my spark plug gapping tool, again!! Any other tips or tricks?

If you have a Gen II, your dealer boned you.

The NGK CR9E were stock spark plugs..... for Gen I Busa's.

The correct Gen II plugs are indeed the NGK CR9EIA-9 Iridium plugs.

that makes me just a little frustrated, i want to kill those morons half the time!!! Bought a few drain plug washers once also, didn't know the washer was supposed to slip over the entire bolt!! Even told the idiot the exact part # and he said yep those are the stock plugs, just figured maybe they were classified as just cr9e, guess i'll be going back, again! Pretty bad when u go in with the exact part# and they still get it wrong

Well, in the defense of the Parts moron.... unless you made it painfully clear to him your bike is a GenII, he probably thought he was doing the right thing, despite you giving him the correct spark plug number for your bike.

However, if you were clear about the bike being a GenII Busa, the Parts moron is, well, a moron, then. :whistle:

Mind you, those CR9Es will work in your bike, but they will have an abbreviated service life compared with the Iridiums.

If you have a Gen II, your dealer boned you.

The NGK CR9E were stock spark plugs..... for Gen I Busa's.

The correct Gen II plugs are indeed the NGK CR9EIA-9 Iridium plugs.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't of said it any better. The "IA" is iridium and those are standard for GenII's. Unless you just said "I need plugs for my hayabusa", he should of given you the correct ones.

that makes me just a little frustrated, i want to kill those morons half the time!!! Bought a few drain plug washers once also, didn't know the washer was supposed to slip over the entire bolt!! Even told the idiot the exact part # and he said yep those are the stock plugs, just figured maybe they were classified as just cr9e, guess i'll be going back, again! Pretty bad when u go in with the exact part# and they still get it wrong

I have been that route before. I don't think the so called technicians at these shops has any experience at all dealing with bikes. as long as it isn't their ride they don't care:banghead:

Yes, check your plug gap. They should be and usually are set corretly from the factory, but not always. The gap is the distance from the tip of the electrode to the curved tip the spark arcs off of. They should be set to specification, but you won't see a drop in performance just bolting them in unchecked, unless they've been dropped and the tip is bent in to where there is no gap, or some how bent back to 3 or 4 times what they should be. Good to check, just don't worry or overthink it.:laugh::beerchug:

This is a PERFECT reason of why we need to order plugs and parts from Justin as Honda East. You will get the right part. Those olde CR9 plugs are just a standard plug, the Iridium is light years ahead in long life performance. Many on this board have done 40,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.

Jason, here is a brain teaser for you. Do they make the NGKCR9 plug in the Palladium series?:laugh:

You would think they would have asked you the year to clarify...:whistle:
Nahhh, cr9e-cr9iea-9 what's the difference pfffft......

well, after a third trip to the dealer i finally got the right plugs. Went back after work today to return the plugs and tell him they're the wrong one's. Pulled out his little spark plug book and was still convinced these were the right plugs. He had some ngk iridium's in stock that said they were for the 08 busa, thought the part # sounded like one listed in the owners manual so i went with it. Got home and nope, these plugs aren't meant for the 08 busa either. Called the other dealer 20 miles away and just told them the exact plug i needed and they had them in stock, so another drive to the dealer and i finally got the right plugs. Though he pulled out his "spark plug" book, and it said the same thing, he said the spark plug book must be wrong:rofl:. Oh well, lesson learned, order them myself next time!!!

well, after a third trip to the dealer i finally got the right plugs. Went back after work today to return the plugs and tell him they're the wrong one's. Pulled out his little spark plug book and was still convinced these were the right plugs. He had some ngk iridium's in stock that said they were for the 08 busa, thought the part # sounded like one listed in the owners manual so i went with it. Got home and nope, these plugs aren't meant for the 08 busa either. Called the other dealer 20 miles away and just told them the exact plug i needed and they had them in stock, so another drive to the dealer and i finally got the right plugs. Though he pulled out his "spark plug" book, and it said the same thing, he said the spark plug book must be wrong:rofl:. Oh well, lesson learned, order them myself next time!!!

You can buy those plugs at most any auto parts store too, might save you some drive time and a couple bucks.:beerchug:

Hey ...I know this is an old thread but I have a similar problem. I have a 2011 hayabusa. I bought the NGK CR9E1X Part number : 3521...I currently have that plug on my bike and it appears to be working fine, however I'm seeing that the correct plug for the Gen 2 hayabusa is : NGK CR9EIA -9 Part number: 6289.

My questions are :
Should I replace my plugs?
What will happen to my engine seeing that I am using the wrong plugs?

Thanks
Mark R.

Back