So the Hunt is on (another slow build thread)

Wheels stripped ready to sandblaster tomorrow. Discs taped up and sandblasted so are the bar-ends, side stand and the number plate bracket. Also started de-rusting the inside of the fuel tank with "Evapo-Rust", bought 10ltrs. not cheap but works well.

Wheels stripped ready to sandblaster tomorrow. Discs taped up and sandblasted so are the bar-ends, side stand and the number plate bracket. Also started de-rusting the inside of the fuel tank with "Evapo-Rust", bought 10ltrs. not cheap but works well.
No fuel is going back in though right?

No fuel is going back in though right?
Yes it will have a full tank all the time.
Once it is clean and all the rust is gone, i will be using POR-15 Metal Prep as it leaves a Zinc Phosphate coating to prevent further rusting. I will also be adding Liqui Moly fuel additive to the petrol.

I only found out about Evapo-Rust from ready a thread on here about a Gen1 poor running. What i like about it, is that its not an acid and can be reused. 10ltrs cost just under £78GBP. Luckly i have 2 fuel tanks to do so that spreads the cost. With the Por-15 kit i bought to, it works out at about £70 per tank. I bought the Por-15 kit before i knew about Evapo-rust, It would have been cheaper just buying the metal prep than the whole kit.

Last edited:
So i'm just waiting on the front tyres as i changed my mind and fitting new tyre. I can then paint the wheels and fit everything back on the bike. I have finished cleaning and de-rusting the fuel tank. Have a look at these filters to see what came out of it.
20220915_092502.jpg

20220915_092511.jpg

20220915_092541.jpg

The last parts of the bike are now finished. I got the tyres on and wheels painted yesterday. Trying to get the wheel paint colour was a pain. The only place i found was RS Paints, and i was not going to pay there high prices. So i bought 1ltr of a suzuki metallic grey and added some black untill i had a good match. So it is now just a case of putting the last of the bike back together and that will be another early Gen1 saved.

so after a bit of thinking, i'm going to put the Gen1 on the road. But only for local runs and only on dry sunny summer days.
So the one thing i needed most to ride the bike was lower rider foot rests
I ended up buying a pair from "Moto-CNC.Com" from there ebay shop.
I like a bargan and with moto-cnc own discount and an ebay discount code, i only paid £43.77 ($53.46 usd) including postage.
I did not think they would be as good as the Gilles pair i have on my Gen2, but i was wrong. The machine finish and fit is very good, and i like how they have made the 2 pieces that adjust fit together, they look and feel strong. The foot peg also fits onto a sholder where it connects to the lowering plate. You can buy them in silver or black, with a racing sliced type foot peg or one like i have. These are 30mm lowering pegs.

Here is a couple of photo, see what you think.

20221202_142730.jpg

20221202_142747.jpg

Wow Martin I just came across this topic now, that’s one hell of a job that you allready put into your Busa. It’s seems that you‘re doin it the right. Well done so far.

I also bought this year a first gen 99 Busa copper/silver with only 4000 miles on It. It also had not been running for a very long time. All fluids had to be changed, fuel pump also died on me. Seems to be a common problem on these gen1.
Mine didn’t even had the second recall done on the camshaft tensioner. Make sure that this has been done, because it’s one hell of a job. Even the camshafts need to be removed and the guides also need to be replaced. You can check if the recall is done by lookin if there is an oil hose leading to the tensioner.

Many dealers claimed the recall but did not carry out the work. Easy money earned and paid by Suzuki. Many of these recall kits have been left on the shelf. Bastards! Luckely my dealer was still able to claim it from Suzuki. Thanks Suzuki :bowdown:

I checked the Suzuki uk recall website and it says "There are outstanding Recalls on your vehicle".
What were all the recalls for the 99 Busa ?
The CCT has the oil feed to it on mine.

Last edited:
So i have just got off the phone with my local-ish suzuki main dealer. The are 2 outstanding recall on my bike. The first one is the second CCT recall, and the second one is the fuel petcock and filter recall. I fitted a new petcock and filter in september, but it will still be changed. Will see if i can keep it for my spare tank as it cost me £71 to buy.

So i have just got off the phone with my local-ish suzuki main dealer. The are 2 outstanding recall on my bike. The first one is the second CCT recall, and the second one is the fuel petcock and filter recall. I fitted a new petcock and filter in september, but it will still be changed. Will see if i can keep it for my spare tank as it cost me £71 to buy.
Uh Martin, what‘s a fuel petcock, is that the same as a fuel tap? Didn’t know that it’s got a fuel tap.

Now i'm still curious… where‘s that valve located?

It would look like the picture in the post above, only with a flat lever/handle on that exterior fitting the fuel line attaches to that turns 180° between Off, On, and Reserve positions.

Of course the Busa and fuel injected engines don't have those.
I was only reffering to the differences in the names of parts in different countries, as there seemed to be some confusion.

Back