Time To Jump In With My Turbo Build Thread

Thanks Murderedout. I've flashed the ECU with a map that was sent to me, so once I start logging and breaking in the motor I'll start tweaking it. Now I have to wait until spring to do anything. Dammit. Lol. Oh well, I have a few things I'm working on on the Viper, so that'll keep me busy for a little bit.

So here's the thing. I've never done this before, ripping apart a motor and putting it back together. So I've learned a tonne. Things that I've learned and things that a guy needs to have to build a motor up and put it together. I ended up spending more than I thought I was going to because I would find that I would need a specific tool that I didn't have, or would forget to get something (gaskets). So for anyone doing a motor tear down and assembly for the first time, here's my recommendation to you.... Buy a complete gasket kit, order up the clutch holding tool, spring puller, get yourself a valve lapping tool, and either find a good shop to hone the cylinders for you if needed, or if you are brave enough to do it, order the tools yourself. On top of that, remember to get some gasket maker, or Suzuki bond, for putting the cases together.

Because of this and all the research that I had to do, it did take longer, however utilizing the Suzuki shop manual and a bit of confidence, I believe anyone can do this. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't get into adjustable cam gears yet as I won't be able to use all the power this year, so I didn't get into degreeing the cams, and there's other things that builders will do different as well, ring gaps, valve clearance, different cams, etc.

Thanks for this advice mate, I have put car motors together before and as long as you follow the manual and double check everything you are generally ok. I am putting a motor together in the next 6 months for a turbo and went all out with the parts list. I was going to pay someone to put it together but after reading this I will give it a crack myself. Need to save my coin for a standalone ECU.

How much boost do you plan on running?

I'm glad you found this thread informative, just take your time and do your research, lots and lots of research. Lol. Well, I have to shorten my swingarm to +4, and I'm a light guy (~195lbs suited) so I will have some wheelie problems with as much power as I could make. So I'm going to run at 8lbs and move up from there. Might be able to handle 14lbs or a little more and be able to keep the front end under control.... Well, sorta. Lol

So now with the good stuff. The parts heading my way, which should be this week or next week:

Stainless steel valves
Heavy duty valve springs
Wossner 9:1 pistons
Wossner rods
High flow oil gear
Rcc slave support
Cometic head and base gasket
Brocks ultra clutch mod
Heavy duty clutch springs
And last but not least studs to hold it together.

Man this list looks just like one that I am working on right now. :whistle:

I just did the same exact build.
Ill post a thread on it but one thing we noticed was the valves went quickly out of adjustment - maybe something to check after a couple hundred miles.

I just did the same exact build.
Ill post a thread on it but one thing we noticed was the valves went quickly out of adjustment - maybe something to check after a couple hundred miles.
Thanks for the heads up shade. Once I break it in I'll check the clearances.

There is nothing more exciting than your very first turbo ride! Congrats and be careful out there.::11

Well,

My project has come to a close. This is what my final product looks like that I have done over the winter. Of course I still have to get new rearsets, and then some BST carbon fiber rims. However, this will come after this season. Oh and the wires you see hanging in the picture by my licsense plate are now hidden. Also, the rear brake line has been replaced since this pic was taken with a shorter one..lol

Just thought you guys would like to see the final product.

Hayabusa done.jpg

Hayabusa done2.jpg

Well,

My project has come to a close. This is what my final product looks like that I have done over the winter. Of course I still have to get new rearsets, and then some BST carbon fiber rims. However, this will come after this season. Oh and the wires you see hanging in the picture by my licsense plate are now hidden. Also, the rear brake line has been replaced since this pic was taken with a shorter one..lol

Just thought you guys would like to see the final product.

Looks clean just needs to extend that arm to go with that tail section! Nice looking ride!

Hey everyone,

Though't I'd update this thread to let you know what was happening, and as to why I didn't reply with how much HP I was making. I was riding my busa on the highway, just babying it as I was breaking in the motor. I was pulled over and when I started to pick up speed in a casual mannerl, I shifted from 1st to 2nd and then my trans completely locked up on me. Came to a screetching halt, and I couldn't get back into first, when in neutral it was still in gear, but could only move 6" forward or backward. My friend came and picked me up and we trailered the bike home to investigate.

Dropped the motor, pulled the lower case, and everything looked good. However, upon closer inspection, the washer that is on the right hand side of the output shaft, riding up against the 1st gear and the cap bearing had fused to the shaft and first gear. The clip in between first and the engaging gear had snapped so it was letting first gear wobble back and forth, which looks like it caused the bushing to move over as well slightly, blocking the oil port.

I shipped my trans to R&D and had her all modded up with a pro cut, new shift rods, new forks, shift drum modded, and a new detent spring. I just got it back on Friday and it is already installed. However, I'm just out of town, so startup should be this Friday coming up. Then I'll be able to get this thing to a dyno and get it fully tuned up.

Now the motor is completely built with all the bells and whistles, so it should last me, especially since I will be running low boost this year. I'll keep ya posted. Oh and I'll post pics of the new hardware when I get home as well as I took pics.

Back