So the Hunt is on (another slow build thread)

Martin.UK

Registered
As it's my 54th birthday today, i am now on a mission to find and restore a early Copper/Silver RX back to full OEM as it left the factory all them years ago. I would like it all done by my 56th birthday, so i have 2 years to do it.
Normaly i mod the hell out of my bikes, so this will be a nice change.
I doubt i will be able to keep the original paint as most 22-23 year old bikes will have some damage to the paintwork of sorts, plus alloy rust to the metal.
I did want a very low mileage one, but i can't see me getting one that low.
I would like to still find one with less that 15,000 miles on it. I would love to find one that has been hidden away in someone's garage for many years, the only problem with these sort of finds is the paperwork gets lost over time.
I think as long as i can find one before the new year i should be ok to get it done in my time frame. I have some money saved, i have also just sold one of my other bikes and I have also put my classic Alfa up for sale to as a project as it's not running. This all help getting me closer to my goal as i will have more funds to spend and more room to do the work and store the parts.
There are a couple of things that i know will be hard to get. Finding one that does not have the rear fender cut down and no holes in the side fairings where the sliders go. I don't mind having to replace these parts on what ever bike i get, as long as its all there to start with and is near stock as possible.
So watch this thread as i will update it as i go along.

Edit...
The wife has already told me that i must finish her 1999 SV650s before i start work on any other bike. Thats me told.

200.gif

Today i bought myself another lift bench. Got it second hand off ebay for £200 GBP. its only 3 years old. They were around £500 GBP new. its a 454kg lift.
This is because the one i have will be taken up with the SV & G1 builds for the next 10 years lol.
I'm also going to have to swap my garage and workshop around as i will need the space for the 2 lift benches.
photo from sellers ad.
I just need to buy a Air ram like i did with my other lift bench, make life kinder on ones knees.

Bench Lift.jpg

This is hard work. I just ordered the paint Copper and silver @ £69.99 GBP per ltr.
I then get an email telling me the copper paint is £140 GBP per ltr
I stopped the order for now, and got a refund.

I don't have a bike yet, but i've been looking and buying little things i think i will need. The first item i bought was an un-cut oem rear undertray as nearly all the bikes i have seen, the undertray has been cut. I have also been buying the Warning labels that are on the bike. I managed to get genuine oem labels apart from the swinging arm tyre label. Which i am having a copy made.

Because there are not many Copper/Silver G1 that come up for sale here in the UK, i think finding one will be to hard.

So i am doing the next best thing. I was luckly enough to find a HPi clear (clean title) frame for the Copper/Silver. It was one of the last RX's before the RY came out. So i am looking now for a donor RX or RY to use to rebuild my Copper/Silver G1 frame into a bike. I did think about repainting a Red or Black one, but then it would not be a real Copper/Silver as colour changes are recorded here in the UK.

So far i have missed out on buying 3 bikes because i hesitated over a couple of things on the bikes, and the price.
My budget has now gone from £3,000 GBP to £4,000 GBP to buy a donor bike. Part of me in a way was happy i missed out on the other bikes. As my wife has said, the right bike will turn up. I'm looking not for a mint bike, but at the same time i don't want a shed. So trying to find one i like is hard.

So after hunting on all the websites in the UK to find a bike to use, i have now found one. Yepeeeeee.
It's a March 99 black/silver with 19,000 miles on it.
I got it for a good price as its a non-runner. I'm not going to tell how much i paid, but i'm a tight bastard. You just ask the wife.
so as i have asked in another thread, it has a dead fuel pump and the guy has just given up with it.
I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. The Shitter is it's only 20 miles from where i was yesterday picking up the bench lift, D'oh.
I have only seen the photos of it and only know what i've been told about it. Going by the DVLA (DMV) the last owner change was in January 2017.
It is totally stock apart for the screen and front brake lines.
This is where the fun starts. I have bought this to build up the copper/silver frame i have. BUT the V.I.N. on this bike i've just bought is JS1A11111001000xx ( not giving out the last 2 digets) So it looks like its one of the first in the UK or made.
If its one of the first made, do i keep it as is ??????

Let me know what you guys think.

Gen 1 Hayabusa.png

My thoughts are, the bike is all original (except for what you mentioned) it is a low serial numbered bike, if it is in good shape and low miles, leave it as it is...

Like you said, the copper/silver models in the UK are color matched so you'd have to get that frame you spoke of to make it a genuine copper/silver bike.

That is a beauty of a bike the say it sits in my opinion...

Right i've been doing some homework, and there are still recalls outstanding on the bike. Can anyone tell me what the early 1999 Gen1 recalls were please.

Back