So the Hunt is on (another slow build thread)

So i have on order nearly all the parts i need to restore this early Gen 1.
I'm just playing the waiting game now for them to be delivered.
I did find out that the wheels were painted with by spray can, as when i took the calipers off, some DOT4 went onto the wheel. I wiped it off and the paint came off to. So i will need to sandblast and repaint them both.
Now the tyre on the bike are BT 023's they were made in 2010. Should i put new tyres on or not. Remember this bike is not going back on the road while it's in my ownership.

I did a bit of homework over the weekend. Out of the UK V.I.N's from number 1 to 60, mine looks like it could be the 12th 13th or 14th Hayabusa registered in the UK as 3 were registered on the 8th March 1999.
BUT i have only checked the first 60 VIN's, so i maybe wrong if any of the VIN's from 61 onward were registered before mine. Still it's nice having one of the early ones in my garage.
Wife has already said no to having it in the house.

Seeing the bike is going to sit, I'd leave those tires on it.

Projects can be fun but I don't get where your wife is coming from by not letting it in the house....it would be a great conversation piece in the middle of the living room....

@ROADTOAD1340 sleeps with his....

Seeing the bike is going to sit, I'd leave those tires on it.

Projects can be fun but I don't get where your wife is coming from by not letting it in the house....it would be a great conversation piece in the middle of the living room....

@ROADTOAD1340 sleeps with his....
You got me in trouble, the wife was reading this over my shoulder. She told me to tell you to @$%^ OFF, but i said no :laugh:

So all the calipers are now striped and cleaned, just waiting for the new seal kits to come.
going to strip the wheels down next and sandblast them. did not want to do this, but needs must.
Also sorted out a date to pick up my new used fairings, picking them up a week today.
I am now waiting for 20 deliveries to come :banana:

My thoughts are, the bike is all original (except for what you mentioned) it is a low serial numbered bike, if it is in good shape and low miles, leave it as it is...

Like you said, the copper/silver models in the UK are color matched so you'd have to get that frame you spoke of to make it a genuine copper/silver bike.

That is a beauty of a bike the say it sits in my opinion...
Keep her like she is ,what a great looking lady .

I would have to put new tires on and ride it on ocassion.
I get the low number, original restored hype...but as great as it is...it needs to be veiwed on the road!
I saw a gen1 similiar to it about a month ago, guy had on full leathers, and was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I hadn't seen a gen1 in the wild that wasn't chromed, stretched, or fat tired ridiculousness, in a long, Long time...it made me smile, lol.

Today i started cleaning the rear end. I am finding it hard not to strip the bike down and repaint everything. The photo does not show all the little marks from years of use.
20220831_123515.jpg

If you went to all the time and trouble to get the decals remade, it might be worth the trouble to make sure the details are in place as in paint and such...

It's a labor of love...

Years ago my oldest brother found a 1973 BSA 250 Scrambler...the "so what" of this is BSA was going out of business so in order to complete the bikes on the assembly line they went to Triumph and Norton to get some parts...his bike has BSA, Norton and Triumph parts on it and was one of the last bikes BSA built....it was in stellar shape but like yourself as he was going over it he noticed the odd paint chip and blemish from sitting...he took the time to correct all of these and is really happy he did...

Last edited:
If you went to all the time and trouble to get the decals remade, it might be worth the trouble to make sure the details are in place as in paint and such...
I'm only thinking about painting the frame/swingarm/footrest hangers anythink silver really. The bodywork i'm not touching, that why i've bought the other panels.

Anyone know the colour code for the silver they used for the hangers ?

I'm only thinking about painting the frame/swingarm/footrest hangers anythink silver really. The bodywork i'm not touching, that why i've bought the other panels.

Anyone know the colour code for the silver they used for the hangers ?
You'll want it looking good for when you are watching TV and glancing over at it in your man-cave...

UPDATE

I have got the fuel pump back together, The engine will start right away when i spray easy start into the TB's.
But trying to run it off the pump the engine is hard to start, keeps dieing and sound like its missing.

does that sound like the INJECTORS ????

Back