So the Hunt is on (another slow build thread)

UPDATE

I have got the fuel pump back together, The engine will start right away when i spray easy start into the TB's.
But trying to run it off the pump the engine is hard to start, keeps dieing and sound like its missing.

does that sound like the INJECTORS ????

It could be.
They are easy to flush.
New o-rings are a good idea since you have to remove them.

Ok so i removed the injectors. How tight should they be when seated in the seals ?
Also do these look like the oem injectors or aftermarket ones.
They look to clean to me, even the filters are spotless.
I think the last owner has been messing with it more than he told me. have a look at these photos of the injectors and tell me what you think.
20220901_131956.jpg

20220901_132004.jpg

20220901_132019.jpg

If I remember correctly, gen1 has Bosch injectors stock? So the brand would be on them.
As far as looks go, it doesn't matter, they can still be gummed up inside from old fuel, especially ethanol, the valve could be sticking, and/or not fully opening causing restricted flow and a bad spray pattern, more of a squirt vs a mist.
The o-rings should be replaced due to age, they get hard, brittle, and leak, especially after being removed/twisted and moved about.
Put vaseoline on the new o-rings when you install them, to prevent twists, cuts, or tears.

They look ok from what we can see over the internet...the only real way to know is to flow test them...you could soak them in fuel injector cleaner and see if any gunk comes out...

The chances of an old bike like this being fooled around with is pretty good...

I'd still change out the spark plugs as an issue eliminator...these things are picky when it comes to spark.

They look ok from what we can see over the internet...the only real way to know is to flow test them...you could soak them in fuel injector cleaner and see if any gunk comes out...

The chances of an old bike like this being fooled around with is pretty good...

I'd still change out the spark plugs as an issue eliminator...these things are picky when it comes to spark.

I wouldn't soak the injectors.
They can be flushed, both directions, with some aerosol cleaner, a 12v battery, and some wires with alligator clips, one wire connected, and repeatedly touch connect/disconnect the other wire, to activate the valve/actuator in the injector, as the cleaner is sprayed, to get the gunk out of the area the injector is normally closed on.
The spray cleaner straw needs temporarily attached to each side of the injector as you flush each direction.
It's cheap and easy to do, and how you can find a bad injector.

I wouldn't soak the injectors.
They can be flushed, both directions, with some aerosol cleaner, a 12v battery, and some wires with alligator clips, one wire connected, and repeatedly touch connect/disconnect the other wire, to activate the valve/actuator in the injector, as the cleaner is sprayed, to get the gunk out of the area the injector is normally closed on.
The spray cleaner straw needs temporarily attached to each side of the injector as you flush each direction.
It's cheap and easy to do, and how you can find a bad injector.
Right, I was thinking of spray-soak inside the injector and not the outer carcass....I should have been more clear.

Also, no, the injectors are not very tight in the fuel rail, in most cases they twist left or right easily.
If they're not leaking, they're good, lol.

So this morning i cleaned the injectors and they are all misting now. I took the TB's off and the inlet rubber boots. I checked the boots for splits, but they were all good. so i cleaned them up and refitted them. I also double checked for any air leaks, again all was good. I am now starting to think that it is the fuel pump that is faulty. It primes when you turn the bike on, but i think the flow rate could be down. Also the pump housing is getting warm (is that normal ?). New spark plugs fitted to. So a new pump is on order and should be here next week. I don't mind that i have spent more money than i needed, I will know its all good when i've finished.

So today i thought i would do an easy job on the Gen1. I thought i would bleed the clutch and put new Dot 4 in it. So the first thing i did was remove the clutch res cap. OMFG, the fluid was black and the gunk in there was really bad. So i had to strip the clutch MC down and give it a bloody good clean. Because of how the MC was i had to strip and clean the clutch SC. The fluid was like running turd. So then i cleaned the clutch line. OK, i now have everything striped, clean and put back together. Time to bleed the clutch. OMFG what a paine is the A$$ that was. I ended up having to gravity feed the dot 4 from the top end of the clutch line. So that ment undoing the line from the MC. I had to suck the fluid though the system till it came out the SC. I then had to reconnect the line back to the MC and Bleed the whole system.

So much for my fcuking easy day :devil:

So the new fuel pump is fitted and is pumping fuel. But the bike is still not running right. One thought is the injectors are not fueling like they should. I have cleaned them tested them and they seem to be working off the bike. But now if i press the starter and hold the throttle open, i'm not seeing them shoot any fuel in. When i can get it running for about 30 seconds it still sound ruff and like its missing. As i said before, if i spray easy start into the TB's it runs and sounds like a busa should.
So what sensors control when the injectors should shoot fuel in. The last owner fitted a new TPS. But i was thing the CPS ?
Anyone got any thoughts on this please. Could it be the ECU ?

Also there are no fault codes showing.

Last edited:
Major Update

So last week i bought another complete TB at a cost of £200GBP.
I put them with the other parts i have bought and forgot about them.
Then just after my last post on here and doing some Googling i rememberd them.
So i have just fitted them as they came and after about 20 seconds she started. No choke needed, she ticks over nicely and revs as well. Then left it for half an hour and again she started first time.
I don't know what the problem was with the old TB's, but i'm thinking its the new oem TPS that the last owner put on there as it was fitted on the other way around to the replacment TB's.
So £200 for the TB's, £50 Fuel Pump, £6 O-Rings, £21 Spark Plugs and she is now running sweet.

Thats 3/4 of the battle won, Im a happy man this morning. :banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Today i got the fairings and front fender all finished ready to go back on the bike. And the top fairing is now back on the bike. Also the rear tyre i bought yesterday from M&P came this morning.

So what do i have left to do. I have the inside of the fuel tank to do, The wheels / barends / number plate bracket / side stand, all need sandblasting and painting and the disc's just need a light sandblast to clean them up. I think thats it. So a couple of more weeks and it will be finished ready to go into the front room when the wife is not looking (pigs will fly first
:nod:
).

I have bought remanufactured(cleaned with new o-rings and screens) factory Bosch injectors for a couple of Suzukis from ebay.
They cost about the same as the aftermarket injectors.
Just search the seller's info and contact them.
They sell remanufactured sets without exchange as well.

Back