Skin Color under the Helmet

eynlai

Registered
I know... Sometimes I bring up the most touchiest subjects. But this latest news article about the obvious racial discrimination and bike profiling in South Carolina is just a reminder.

It sucks that in this day and age, people still practice obvious racism. Even worst is when it's segments of governments that blatantly display it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20050527/ts_csm/ablackbike

I only look at the color of the bike or helmet. Not the color of whose riding the bike, or color of the skin underneath the helmet. Guess some look at it the other way.
sad.gif

one thing i have noticed here in mississippi is that bikers of all color are a brotherhood ;that is if you ride a rocket. black, white, mexican, it dont matter. the hardley crowd thats another story!

Completely, stupid but, I got a stupid question, why do some races require a seperate event, and other races if they had a seperate even based on their skin color they would be considered racists/biggots? I thought Bikers as a general term that covers ALL Bikers not just a black biker event or a white biker event? Would a White Bike Week event be ok, or would that be too racist? Just wondering and all as I said above, I thought Bikers ment just that as this post refers too... color of bike and helmet not the color of th skin of who's riding?

Been disriminated against all my life, wtf? is next?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117345887 -->

I'm prejudice I hate everyone! Just Kidding if you'll talk to me I'll talk to you, drink a beer(I'll be drinking the hard stuff) we're good, Prejudice people SUCK

Personally even though I am white I am sure id feel more welcome @ Black Bike week then I would @ Sturgis on my Busa.

I would assume it is mostly because of what the one woman said in the article.. The younger kids with no respect ruin things for everyone else. There appears to be a need for more officers. They arrested 200 more people during Black Bike Week and the article does not say they were arrested without cause.

I was down there last year for "White" bike week and even it could get pretty fired up, depending on where you were at. Traffic is probably just as bad during white bike week. So I can see a reason for more officers, but there is no reason to block off lanes of traffic. They should realize how much money these bike weeks bring in and just leave people alone.

I'm white, grew up on the Navajo Indian reservation and believe you me, I know what it's like to be the object of discrimination. When a third grade Indian kid pulls a knife on you on the school bus and says he loves to hear white boys scream, it's enough to make you pi$$ your pants, guaranteed.

It's an unfortunate part of life and as the article said, most of the bikers take it in stride. What many people don't realize is that when you gather as a group in a place where prejudice likely already exists, everyone is going to watch you. Period. That means that any punk kid who decides to get stupid is going to automatically label the rest of the group as irresponsible, crazy, stupid, etc. etc. Even if the rest of the entire group is behaving well, it won't matter; people ALWAYS see the problem and paint the rest of the picture with the same brush.

As bikers on sport bikes, we suffer that same prejudice: "All guys on sport bikes are crazy m-fers. Not true, but we've been labelled because of some morons out there who behave irresponsibly.

Sad. Very sad, for both prejudices and all others besides.

As I read through the article, I kept thinking, "It isn't a racial issue, it's an issue of the kind of bikes ridden," until I got to this part: ". . . several restaurants and a hotel that close down during the weekend." Not proof, per se, but it makes me rethink the racist angle a little more intently.

There are sooooooo many permutations to this issue, it can hardly be adequately discussed.

--Wag--

Personally even though I am white I am sure id feel more welcome @ Black Bike week then I would @ Sturgis on my Busa. [/QUOTE]

laugh.gif

You would be, with or without a bike @ Black Bike Week !

I got your back, Playa (BentValve) if anything funky goes down.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117338437 -->

First let me say I'm NOT prejudice...but I'm NOT a "Separatist" either...and I believe that therein lays the problem..in other words?...why "BLACK" bike week?...we don't have a "spanish Bike Week"...or a "White" bike week..so imho?...the problem is that "Black" bike week is conceptually flawed by it's very name...clearly catogorizing who IS and who ISN'T invited or welcome...by race.

To me?..."Separatists" are just predudice folks who don't wanna admit to being "racist"..and then they'll deny such hiding behind excuses of "Pride in Hertitage"...and to that I say BS...point being....why dose it hafta be a "Race Based" event?...as in my world?...everyone is always welcome to attend..no matter what race, creed or color..I mean think about it...you don't see "Caucasion Bike Night" anywhere do you?..as folks might take offense...and rightfully so.

Leave the history in the books where it belongs...live YOUR life...be your brothers keeper..then shake hands and ride!!!

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

I'm prejudice I hate everyone!  Just Kidding if you'll talk to me I'll talk to you, drink a beer(I'll be drinking the hard stuff) we're good,  Prejudice people SUCK
Feel same.... but then again, I see that their is no prejuduce to whote people on white people to others...

Also no one can call me prejuduce, if I was, I would not be living with a non white person for 1(TRUE). Prejudice people do SUCK. And I see alot of it against whites, But their is alot all around still but then again their can never be a hagte crime against a white person EVER as see above witht he navajo insident wag is talking abou BUt had wag done that to a navajo, it would be a hate crime... Hmmmmmm.... Something to think about.... also living in daytona I see were businesses close down for black college reunion on the basis of saving their businesses cause of the destruction ect... that takes place by the BCR people. So I do not blame them for closing down for that week, when people act like criminals. Also use to be bad with bikers till they booted a few of the gangs out or refuse to let them in the state. no one is inocent. But my pet peve is if their was a white bike week or white spring break or white college reunion do you not think their would be lawsuits, screams of racism ect?
rock.gif
Or am I see to much into this. It seems to me and a few black friends that having a seperate thing based on race is flat out stupid but shows who is really racists and prejudice or who cannot get alot with other races? and thats mainly thoughts of my black friends I talk too. Hmmmm something to think about huh... also as 1 pointed out if they want to do it fine leve him out, he preferes to go to the main one were everyone no matter who they are can enjoy everyone not just 1 skin color event. Wonder how all feel of this and what everyone would think if their was a WHITE BIKE WEEK?

I am with you on this onerabidshark, I hate everyone, But I get along with anyone and everyone.

BentValve, here is one for ya. 1) living here in daytona since early 70's you would never ever ever want to park a rice burner in front of the BOOT HiLL. Why, easy, when you came out you would have rice all over it as well as possibly rice in the gas tank too. 2) even up to last bike week here, being on a rice burner Busa, R1 R6 600 ect... you did anything stupid or fun ect or show off, you would be ticketed. But doing same stuff on a hardley you would be over looked. and anyone says differnt needs to look harder, was their saw it. Right on front of a cop a hardley burned out, no biggy, a sport bike did same and got a ticket no more than 2 min appart, same cop who turned a blind eye to the hardley gave a ticket to a young kid on a sport bike for doing what a hardley idiot did. Hmmmm now what about that discrimination? do no see many waging a war on that discrimination, maybe some of is if not all of us need to make up a few video's of it if we can catch it all and send it off to real people LOL!!!

First let me say I'm NOT prejudice...but I'm NOT a "Separatist" either...and I believe that therein lays the problem..in other words?...why "BLACK" bike week?...we don't have a "spanish Bike Week"...or a "White" bike week..so imho?...the problem is that "Black" bike week is conceptually flawed by it's very name...clearly catogorizing who IS and who ISN'T invited or welcome...by race.

To me?..."Separatists" are just predudice folks who don't wanna admit to being "racist"..and then they'll deny such hiding behind excuses of "Pride in Hertitage"...and to that I say BS...point being....why dose it hafta be a "Race Based" event?...as in my world?...everyone is always welcome to attend..no matter what race, creed or color..I mean think about it...you don't see "Caucasion Bike Night" anywhere do you?..as folks might take offense...and rightfully so.

Leave the history in the books where it belongs...live YOUR life...be your brothers keeper..then shake hands and ride!!!

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif
YOU GOT IT SO DEAD ON.... But you saying what you said and I saying what I said, same hating basically makes us RACISTS for even bringing it out. but if I am prejuduce why am I living with a Native American Woman? Native Americans are aka Indians right and their not white, their red skinned. hmmmmm so their goes that argument LOL!!! anyhow so true on it, white bike week WOW RACISTS, Black bike week hmmmm no one says much, cause you will be labeled RACISTS for brining it up. And thats a FACT. Bike week to me is that Bikers getting together, their is nothing racists about it nor exclusionary either about it says nothign about white bike week or black bike week ect... just says something generic BIKE WEEK.

Pride in heritage? you mean southern pride as in the confederate flag, raising that is racists but saying black this and black that and black bike week ect... being pride in heritage is ok but a confederate flag is racists cause white southern person has pride in their white heritage hmmm you can if your back only events, but if you do as a white person your labeled a racist. hmmmmmmmm.

<!--EDIT|FAKK2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117347684 -->

Also as I stated above about the sport bikes at boot hill in daytona now go look you see them their YUP seen a few Busa's LOL!!! as well as look at Bike Week in general it is a mixture of all types of bikes now, 10 years ago or so would be hardley's and a few this and that but nothing with a jap label. now the jap label I think has a better showing of nicer bikes than the hardley label.

<!--EDIT|FAKK2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117347712 -->

I'm prejuduce, we all are, we have an impressions of everyone we see based on what we see. If we see a really heavy person, we assume they may have an eating problem. If we see super skinny women with ribs showing, we sometimes get the idea they may be belimec (may not be spelled correctly).
We all have a first impressions of someone we meet based on the experiences we've had with people that "look" similar in the past. I'm assuming the problem people are having with the article above it the increased police prescence at Black Bike Week. I don't know anything about Black Bike week, but I do know that in areas in nearby counties where a lot of mischief occurs, the police increase their prescence. Often times the residents will cry racism, except if it's an area where affluent people live. I for one am tired of hearing people cry racism every time they feel like they are being judged by the color of thier skin. I have no problems with anyone based on their race, but I also have no sympathy for those who can't forget the past and want to relive it every day.

I know that there is a large number of you guys that might take offence to this based on your race, but none is intended.

I'm white, although my family on my Dad's side was brought here against their will, on my Mom's side, they were marched from the North Georgia/North Carolina area out to Oklahoma where many died and were brutally mistreated. I however was born 40 years ago and do not hold any of this against anyone, all the ones to blame for this are long dead. I do believe though that if for the last 200 years my family had been taught to hate others because of what they had done, I may feel like many blacks do today. I know from experience that many blacks are raised to not trust whitey and never trust the popo. It's never going to end until the "victims" stop being "victims" and just be Americans.

Kevin

Back