Riding in the rain

mr8ball

Registered
I just got home from a poker run for the Vets and we got caught in the rain. It was all Harley's except my little busa. :laugh: My brother in law who rides an HD as well was the only one I knew (sad) I noticed that just about all of them really road slow when it started to rain. I was wondering at what speeds do you guys run at in the rain? I understand on back 2 lane roads you need to be extra careful but when we got on the main road they still road fairly slow. I was running 60 + at times and it did not seem to bother my bike at all. I have pretty good tires (Power Purees) It really surprised how well the busa handled. So what speeds do you guys run on roads where the speed limit is 60 MPH? Thanks all

I've been 160mph by the speedo(with speedohealer) during heavy rain. Bike handled perfect, never hydroplaned.
I know the results of any sudden movement though. That's on a straight smooth road also.
I'll still run the speed limit(or a little more) through curves in the rain under most conditions, even the occasional wheelie:laugh:
I do slow it down some when conditions require. Wet roads are the best way to learn how to drift too. Now if I can just transfer that to dry pavement.

Funny, rode in the rain last night on the Busa, rode way more delicately than I do in the rain on my Harleys. The power and light weight (relative to a Harley) and no ABS makes me skittish on the Busa vs the Harley's.

slow is smooth, smooth is safe...this is how it is for me when in the rain (in a car or on a bike). :thumbsup:

slow is smooth, smooth is safe...this is how it is for me when in the rain (in a car or on a bike). :thumbsup:
I agree but with how the traffic was running (Fast) doing the slow & smooth someone might get run over. Its kinda hard to do that on a major HW. I was doing 60 and then some at times and a few cars were passing me. Once I broke away from the group I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear. I didn't want to follow anyone spraying me with water or have anyone riding up my butt. Besides the hydroplane thing I felt pretty safe at the speed I was doing and have to say again I was really impressed with the busa. Thanks for all the imput.

I've been 160mph by the speedo(with speedohealer) during heavy rain. Bike handled perfect, never hydroplaned.
I know the results of any sudden movement though. That's on a straight smooth road also.
I'll still run the speed limit(or a little more) through curves in the rain under most conditions, even the occasional wheelie:laugh:
I do slow it down some when conditions require. Wet roads are the best way to learn how to drift too. Now if I can just transfer that to dry pavement.

Do you have a custom tank to accomodate your BALLS? :laugh::bowdown:

My second day on the way to the bash I woke just south of Macon Ga with 275 miles to go to a pouring rain in 55 degrees. After an hour at waffle house hoping it only got worse so I loaded up and rode ALL DAY in it. All through Atlanta and on up into NC I was on hgwy traveling at least 70 sometimes more. I'm terrified to ride in the rain but wasn't gonna let anything stop me. After that I have new found confidence in rain and new found hatred of it.....IT SUCKED!!!!!

I'm always a little extra cautious and really wary of automobiles going too fast.

I ride more cautious in the rain. Normal roads plus rain is wet and not fun but easy to manage, but rain plus the Cherohola means really slow going.

I ride in the rain more than i would like but I have not found it overly dangerous. I usually wait until the oil washes of the road to get back on it. What does suck though is being on the highway and getting caught behind a semi. Its like a white out!!

:rofl: It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Hey, I am with ya right up till the upper triple digits part. Enough things going on up there for me on dry pavement. :thumbsup:

At normal road speeds I don't find it to be bad on either the Hayabusa or the BMW. Obviously, I am more cautious but haven't ever felt unsafe. I am more mindful of road conditions. That is not to say it is always fun either. I am usually more concerned about other drivers in the wet/rain than normal.

Most I think I have done was about 120 in really heavy down pour on my 600 back in the day. On the busa I do about 60-80mph easy.

When I have been caught in the rain on a 60MPH road I ride between 40MPH and 50MPH, Don't like it when car drivers are right up behind me, but I ride my own way, just to feel safe.

I know I could ride faster but it makes me feel uncomfortable and tense.

It's funny when I was a dispatch rider in the 70s, I rode in all weathers, and apart from taking it easy, can't remember feeling like this.

I did notice my neck was real tense as well. I thought of babs talking about hers hurting after coming back from the bash. I am not sure if mine was from the cold 45 degrees at the time or just being in the rain. I had road in the rain a few times and never remembered my neck hurting like that. Now that I think about it, it must have been a mixture of the rain and the cold. Like a dumb ass I took off and forgot my rain suite knowing it was a chance of rain the whole time :banghead::banghead: Never again will I do that:laugh: Lesson learned :thumbsup:

Depends on what type of road and how soon it started raining.
Slickest roads are on hot days sun beating on the surface bringing oils to the surface add a little rain to it in the first 10 minutes and you have yourself a nice road to practice drifting on :thumbsup:
Been raining for awhile highway/interstate, tires are good shape, grip it and rip it. Ive powered wheelied in the rain shifting into 2nd gear around 75. Back roads turn speed limit 35, I feel safe at 50-55

You have to remember Hardleys dont have the same type compound tires the Busas have also hardley cant handle on dry roads let along wet roads.

While riding in traffic I keep tapping brakes to keep them heated a bit, this keeps them dryish and gives yo consistent braking, if they are wet they will slip a bit until they start heating up then they will grab real good so ya gotta watch. If not in traffic I do the same before taking a turn. I ride the rain a lot, from this time of year through Nov it rains just about every day here in South Fla so I usually get caught out in the rain or even head out in the rain to get north of it or west of it.

I have tons of experience in riding in the rain, thanks to the recent Bash trip :laugh:

21 hours of riding, and I'd say 15 of that was in rain, some rather monsoon like :banghead:

I'm always amazed at just how well my Busa handles in the rain, and I spent more than a few of those miles riding well over the posted speed limit...biggest worry in rain? Cagers...what's new, right? :laugh:

While riding in traffic I keep tapping brakes to keep them heated a bit, this keeps them dryish and gives yo consistent braking, if they are wet they will slip a bit until they start heating up then they will grab real good so ya gotta watch. If not in traffic I do the same before taking a turn. I ride the rain a lot, from this time of year through Nov it rains just about every day here in South Fla so I usually get caught out in the rain or even head out in the rain to get north of it or west of it.

Great Tip! Dry them brakes regularly while its raining or if you go through a puddle.

Back