Riding in a big group

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
A little story from a ride this weekend....Do you ever find that you ride in the back of a pack when you dont know the other riders?

I went out this weekend on a ride that the local dealership sponsors.  I've been riding in the past with 4 of the guys that were on the ride, but not with the other 15 bikes.  Now usually I ride in the rear when I dont know the guys/gals I'm riding with so I can watch/learn their style and also I figure they arent gonna run away from me
wink.gif

So yesterday we were all getting ready to ride and I noticed this one kid (young 20's) on a yellow Katana 600.  He's the only one in the group that was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  Also looked like a 10th generation hand me down helmet.  These "unprepared" types of riders usually draw my eye and instantly get them a "yellow flag" in my mind.  I mean if you can afford the bike, you should at least be able to afford some kinda protective clothing.

Now keep in mind, everyone knows where we are going, this is an organized ride.... meaning wait at the next turn for all the riders to catch up and then ride your own pace/skill down the roads.

As we head out, the larger group sorta broke down into 3 smaller groups, each seemed to be riding at a similar pace but the hard core guys were out front, then the one up guys and then the guys with their passengers were bringing up the rear.  We start down a twisty turny road, the guys on the TL1000s and gaxr1000s are leading the way and getting on it pretty good. The guy on the Katana is in the middle group and I'm leading the rear group.  First decreasing radius turn we get into, the kid on the katana cant hold it and winds up off the left side of the road in the grass.  He recovers with out going down, thankfully there was no on coming traffic.  At this point the middle group kinda hangs back and the tail group grows into a nice big group, leaving the kid on the katana all alone between the two groups.  The lead pack saw all this and rides even harder to get away from this guy.  I'm thinking "OK this guy is new, he lost it going into a turn, thank god he didn't wreck"  but he's got a big ole red flag now in my mind.

Then a little later in the ride the kid starts standing on his pegs, one hand on the left bar and one hand raised in the air "rocky style" heading up into a corner.  I'm thinking this dude is a moron, who's he showing off for?  We are on a road full of pine trees and no one in the group should be impressed.....He didnt see this curve evidently while show boating and misreads it pretty bad....only this time he doesnt get all the way across the lane but does brush against the side of an oncoming ford ranger!!!  
AAAssjani.gif
  He didnt wreck here either and thank god no one was near him at the time.  It was then that the leader of the ride decided he had seen enough.  He rode to the front of the line and took us all to a local Chili's on 4 lane hwy and told the guy he was black flagged and he had to leave the group.

The funny thing is the guy didnt understand WHY!?!  I finally told him he was luck to even be having the conversation with us and he needed to go practice somewhere before riding in a group.  

Just thought I'd share this story....I'm glad I ride in the back of the pack after this one!

I usually fight with my buddy to be last each of us always signals for the other to get in front. In a new crew. YOu always spot the ass clown newbie and stay FAR FAR AWAY!! WHen i ride with established crews its a differnet story as long as they understand the protocol and organization of the riders. But ultimately it is also your life and bike on the line with new riders. I am not averse to signaling to a dumbass to back off, chill out or go the #### home.
cool.gif

I will stay in the back especially when it's new roads, new people, that way if I decide they are a pack of ass clowns I just peal off and go my own way. Done that a couple of times... Too much stupidity out there.

But once I know whos riding around me I feel comfortable riding wherever, hell frequently Raider and I or RC51Guy and I are close enough that I could prolly reach over and swat their bike, but that is after several rides and a few hundred miles of witnessing a lack of stupidity on their part... ME? I dunno if they feel the same way but I am comfortable enough with them and their demonstrated skill.

What I really hate, and prolly my biggest pet peeve, is passing me in the same lane without notice and I dont know you... Do it in a corner, better hope to god there isn't a stop up ahead anytime within about the next 5 minutes and I have time to step off the Bike...

What I really hate, and prolly my biggest pet peeve, is passing me in the same lane without notice and I dont know you...  
EXACTLY! now THAT pisses me off... and I've told people off for it too!

And yes, I do tend to be at the back of the group, on purpose. I like to hang quite a bit back, actually.. call me a wuss, whatever, but I like time to react and not get caught up in unfortunate events.

Unfortunately I live in an area with a bunch of young hot-shot wheelie freaks. there aren't many mature minded love to ride Busa bros. I ALWAYS get at the back of the pack out of danger where I can watch the foolishness. When on a ride a couple of weeks ago with 6 other guys (4 new the other 2 hot shot). Oh baby I was 100' behind those cats. Too many ways to get messed up as it is.

I like to either lead or be the last in line, not that I've had tons of experience riding in groups of sport bikes! Just the Harley dudes...

Why is it that those that choose to risk it all for a "ooohh aaahh" don't wear the gear? It's got to be the mentality that "it won't happen to me"...I fear for my life every time I ride, alone, in groups, whatever...then I do my best to stay safe and get back home for my kids...gear is one of those things that helps ensure a safe return...so does riding in the back so you can spot the clown amongst the others!

Sorry guys I'm up front unless there are some experts in the crowd that can run ahead of me. Don't get me wrong I'm far from a pro. But, I can hold my own with the good guys. For sure don't want to be behind one of these guys who is willing to take you out also!

well it depends on my mood and the riders im with. if they are more advanced than me ill hang behind them to watch their technique (riding at my pace tho). i may ride in the back if i have newbie riders in front of me to keep an eye on them and let them know things i may notice. one time i noticed a guy that just started riding with the balls of his feet not on the pegs and when leaned over (not that far either) his toe was real close to the pavement, so i warned him to keep his feet up and only to bring them down to shift or brake. ill also ride in the back if i have a passenger. but then theres the times i want the newbie riders behind me so i can do what i want into the corners.
theres only a few fellow riders that we can trust each other to ride close in the twisties..

what a dumb ass

i try to stay to the back just cause i like to watch the others act like fools

I am the same...I can spot a Hot-shot new guy a mile away...The act like they have something to prove...I'm an average rider but I never let them get behind me...I usually stay in the back of the pack..and always leave myself a way out if things get pretty hairy...I have seen some guy like this try to do a stoppie and run right into to the back of another rider at a light...I don't care if someone thinks that I cannot ride because I am in the back...I just try to be smart and safe...I have nothing to prove..Matt Mladin, Aaron Yates, and Ben Spies gets paid well for taking risks and pushing the bike to the end...I just want to see everybody safe this riding season...and keep an eye out for those riders that have something to prove and no regard for the safety of others...

There's a back of the pack......I never really thought about that.
If I'm ridin with noobs, I just stay way ahead....like 4 or 5 miles ahead.

Cause have ridin in many group rides. Gained allot of experience as sweeper in the slow group. I try not to pressure the rider ahead, so they'll ride at their own pace. Many times a big group the one rider ahead and I are left miles behind the main group.
Less formal rides, I'm in the back again. Main reason is I take pictures. Using right hand to lift the camera smack it to side of helmet, aim down the lens(Digital SLR) and click away. The act of taking a picture the throttle is released and bike losses speed quickly. Anyone behind would have to contend with that, no one does.
Can't say have seen squidly riders from behind. Some interesting wind sheer effects tho. The sight of several riders on a freeway. Strong gust of wind and all shift three feet to the side in unison is kewl
biggrin.gif

Riding in middle of pack not as experienced. Does seem a mild case of competition is going on. After a brake Pole posisition of riders like too many people trying to get through a doorway at same time.
At times some passing most times see it coming. There trusting the riders to be predictable.
A bit foreign is how riders follow eachother lines through a curve. I make own decisions about the corners. But the rider behind is on my ass. It's not wise, cause I have crappy lines
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I usually prefer the rear, at least at first, to assess the others. I don't like anyone too near my tail unless they are well-skilled and understand that I'm a late-braker. I had two Harley friends in Florida who were each blind in one eye--the opposite eyes. It was really weird riding with them. They rode together often and had a system for riding side by side. They rode with their blind eyes on the inside (toward one another) and their respective good eyes on their outside. I followed them many times and was amazed how well they maintained the spacing between them on their blind sides. I tried closing one eye to see if I could do it. I was all over the road...  
blush.gif

If I don't know the perpetrators then I tend to ride toward the back. If the ride is like a couple of weekends ago. I rode with Revlis, RaiderDM, Gypsyjoker and RC51. We had talked for a couple of minutes and I felt like they knew what they were doing. So I ended up riding the #2 spot most of the night. I guess they thought I knew what I was doing cause I didn't get bitch slapped for anything stupid.

T

Its good to establish rules first. Like the first rider to act a ass is to be kicked out of the group. I ride in groups darn near every week. The rule is, if you take someone new along, you are responsible for there actions. In other words, warn them not to be stupid. I rarely ride outside of my regular group for this reason. I have seen newbies pull wheelies and land on the bike in front of them or side swipe another rider or car. Even better when the cops come close to catch them for doing something stupid they take off leaving us law abiding riders in the back to deal with there problem. I prefer to keep the squids and newbies to there own. Let us riders with sense make it to our destination in a stress free fun environment.

I have only been on 1 group ride and I was close to the back. Now granted all the other bikes were cruisers, but I didn't know how they road. I didn't really worry about anyone coming up behind me, but I made sure to watch the newbies in front. I think for future rides I will be closer to the back if not bringin' up the trail.

yeah I like hanging in the back just to stay out of everyones way in case I ride to slow. I like going at my own pace without getting pushed from behind.

Back