Group Leaders Responsibilities

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
I remember reading an article not long ago that had to do with the responsibility of the front man while riding in a group. The article brought many good points to light about how to set the pace, maintaining both safety and spirit at the same time. Over the weekend, one of our riders went down while trying to catch up after being caught in traffic. Luckily, he suffered only a broken collar bone and some road rash. His brand new Z1000, however, is pretty much totaled. After wrestling with this all weekend, wondering if I had set an unreasonable pace for his ability I have come to this conclusion: we are all personally responsible for our own actions, personally responsible for riding within our own abilities. Group riding is one of the best ways to enjoy our sport but may present the individual rider with challenges he or she is just not ready for....please, guys and girls, keep a clear head and ride our own ride....do not let another rider determine your fate.....  
down.gif

It is up to the individual to back off, if t gets to tough to keep up. t is also up to the individual to stay away from others who are stunting etc. that being said pack riding contributes heavily to accidents, but can be safe and a lot of fun.

I agree...don't let another rider determine fate...that should always play in every rider's mind...I'd rather get left behind and get back home safe than to try to play catch up and lose it.

This is a tough subject...I ride with Harley guys, and I can say that there are one or two that just don't keep up. I'll often take the lead and slow the group down to allow the tail riders to catch up. It's frustrating. According to Virginia's DMV testing, the tail rider sets the pace for the group; that can lead to some heavy aggravation for the leader and others that do keep up...it's caused more than a good number of "discussions" and pissed riders while riding...

Sorry about your fellow rider moondog. I hope he'll be fine and I hope he'll get his bike rebuilt or can get another one. Hopefully he's learned what he may have done to contribute to the accident and won't repeat it. If you were leading a group of guys/gals that were keeping up, then I'd say it's not really right to slow everyone else down for the one guy that's riding out of his abilities...he should have tried to let you know he couldn't keep up and you could have all discussed options, or he should have pulled out of the group...

It's always tough to lead...

I think the leader is responsible for leading the ride. By that I mean, he knows the route, knows the possible points of difficulty and generally keeping the group together. However, if an individual is not able to keep up or gets a little behind it is the individual's responsibility to catch up in a manner that they can handle. The leader can't be responsible for someone exceeding their own limitations. Has to be an individual thing!

I find that it is best to map out a route and have meeting places in case you have riders that fall behind.   I have to say I have fallen behind many times because I was affraid to run over some middle riders.  I took the rear to sort of watch out for some of the slower riders.  I knew that I could catch up in a heart beat. Most of the time routes are sort of mapped by "We are going this way" If the route was gone over before hand it alows for stops ad slow riders and fast riders.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084201556 -->

Yes, I'm thinking that a very experienced rider should also be the trail ... he is responsible for safe lane changes, watching the condition of the riders in front of him ... etc. The rookies or less experienced riders should be somewhere in the middle.
I'll find a good online article about the mechanics of group riding and post it soonest.

I find that it is best to map out a route and have meeting places in case you have riders that fall behind.   I have to say I have fallen behind many times because I was affraid to run over some middle riders.  I took the rear to sort of watch out for some of the slower riders.  I knew that I could catch up in a heart beat.  Most of the time routes are sort of mapped by "We are going this way"  If the route was gone over before hand it alows for stops ad slow riders and fast riders.
Best idea yet NE... We have all gotten into situations where peer preasure has almost been our done fall. Although it is easy to say, "ride at your own pace and all that," that is generally not the way it goes down and no one likes to be left behind... If you had meeting places to let the slow riders catch up, they may not be so concerned with "not trying to loose you"

Cloud

I agree with mapping out the route. Everyone should know where they are starting, where they are stopping an there should be stopping points designated to allow people to catch up.

Bottom line however, I ride at my own pace. If I never see the group that is far ahead of me, ever again. oh well, I will still enjoy my ride, I am not going to break my neck (literally) just to try and keep up

My life is of more importance to my family and I than my ego is. And my ego will heal and I will get over a bruised ego.

Death is forever.

Ego only affects one person, the person who has the ego.

Death affects more people than anyone could every imagine, starting with close family members and trickling down to friends, co workers and the peoples lives in the future that you will never a chance to positively affect.

Think about this.

What good is a leader if there is noone to follow?
Is it  a group ride of there is no group?

RIders should have all the info on the route when you guys leave, that way the new guys/gals do not feel the need to over do it. If you let the slower pace of group riding upset you, then you are better off riding alone. Motorcycling in my opinion should not include anything that gets you upset. Group riding is just that "group riding", not tag. Just my 2 cents.
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|SHWELL
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084220696 -->

always ride at your own pace, leaders should pull over from time to time to pull the group together so the slow bikes dont have the sense they are riding by themselves, they need to be part of the group too...

when I lead I make sure everyone makes it through lights etc. or I will wait then and there...

in the twisties I wait at areas where the roads go seperate directions, so folks know which way to go.

its also a good idea to get a head count and account for all riders from time to time, some one could go off alone and have no one see them, then its time to back track. if your a slower rider find another slow rider and stick together...

everyone should be able to ride at a pace they enjoy, otherwise fast riders wont want to ride with slower riders...

<!--EDIT|†WÃ￾§â€ Ã«D
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084221662 -->

I kind of have the same mindset of most everyone...However, I believe that it you take on the responible of being the leader of the group ride then you have the responsibilty of assuring a sort of safety of all members of the group...If your the leader and your speed is to fast for some of the members just slow down...If you stop for a break and the slower rider has become a problem for the group then you may need to consider re-grouping...If your the leader of an advanced group of riders then don't let what would be a hinderance to the group get involved in the ride...Yeah in my opinion the leader is responsible for the group and actions of the individuals...
evil.gif

the inexperienced riders should usually be about 3 to 4 bikes behind the leader with the rest in a comfortable position. I pretty much always take the rear since I know that I can catch up if there is a problem. Another thing that we have done around here for the larger group rides (anything 40+) is break into smaller groups and ensure that atleast one person per group has some sort of 2-way comm so that we can keep intouch. I got a fairly decent 2-way radio with a 5 mile range so I can let the lead know if someone dropped, went down, of if we just need to pull over to have a "chat" with the stunters in the group getting in some extra practice on the freeways

Back