What's Your Pace ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
"I did not write this but found it on another forum. Thought it would be usefull". Robert

Appreciation to Hoologan for creating the following:

I have found that every rider has their own perception of which group they fall into, in terms of group rides. For the most part, everyone's perception of speed and what group they fit into is limited to their experience (or inexperience). For example, if a rider is fast among a certain group of friends, he may think he is a "Supafast A" group guy. He may talk all the crap and give all the advice because he is clearly the "expert" among his group of pals. That same rider may join an 'A' paced Kneeriders ride thinking he has "teh skillz" to hang with the big boys, only to learn what fast really is. On the other hand, a rider might consider themselves a humble 'C' rider, join a ride that somebody posts as a 'C' pace ride, only to be disappointed at how sloooooow the ride is because he is really a 'B' pace guy.

Because of this relativity, it is very hard to quantify the pace of a group ride, or what group a particular rider may feel most comfortable. In an effort to quantify this, I am going to put this data in terms of speed limits and group dynamics, based on my experience.

DISCLAIMER: Please avoid using speed warning signs for speed references. You still need to use your best judgment and read the road. See where the vanishing point occurs and set your speed accordingly. The warning sign only gives you a hint of what to expect and I am referring to them only as a tool to roughly judge what group you would be most comfortable in.

C Pace: Usually not to exceed 10 mph over the speed limit. Passing is usually limited to passing zones and loooong double yellow straights. Due to the number of newbies and inexperienced riders, these rides are usually very organized with lead, sweeps and frequent stops and head counts. Proper group riding techniques are practiced; hand signals, formation, etc. The route is planned in advance, and much time is spent by veterans coaching newer riders. *It is important the note that most 'C' pace rides are at the speed limit, but the limit can be exceeded in some places. It is not consistently limit +10.

B- Pace: Usually not to exceed 20 mph over the speed limit. Passing is more liberal and on shorter straightaways and is sometimes conducted one bike at a time in places. B- group rides tend to have a mixed group of riders, so "The Pace" is typically not practiced, as some riders will be trying to play catch-up in the straights. Proper group riding technique is practiced, but less time is spent coaching and stopping.

B+ Pace: Usually up to double the speed limit. If a corner is marked at 35 mph, it can usually be taken comfortably at approximately 70 mph by a B+ paced rider. B+ riders typically practice "The Pace" in that they keep their speed in the straightaways around the same speed they are hitting the corners. Passing is very liberal and cagers tend to get pissed off. Proper group riding technique is usually not practiced, as these rides typically take place on the twistiest routes, so riders are typically in single file, if even in sight of each other. No time is spent coaching, as riders are expected to be experienced enough to hold their own without advice from others.

A Pace: 'A' paced rides are not for the faint of heart. These rides are FAST and usually involve racing among friends, passing into and out of corners (when safe). Speeds are limited to whatever the bike and rider can handle, basically WFO the whole time. These riders are experienced (usually track riders), know their limits, and rarely have an incident because they tend to be groups of people that are well aware of the skills of the riders around them. 'A' paced rides are typically kept to certain roads that are known for having little traffic, smooth pavement and no cops. "The Pace" is out the window on these rides, as the bikes can see >100 mph in the straights. These rides are not typically arranged on the board, but instead privately among friends.

Very well written! I am in the D-group...lol...jk.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am a B+ when I first get into it. Towards the end of the day after 200 Miles or so I turn into a C Rider. Just depends on how I Feel that day.

I'd say im in the "H" group. The hooligans too stupid to know when to let off but seem to make it somehow. This group typically can be found anywhere even unsafe areas pulling 100+ mph wheelies through traffic 2 up. Hooligans are knee dragging, wheelie pulling lunatics who do not practice "The Pace", do not use hand signals, and pass anywhere there might be enough room to brush elbows with a fellow rider. They do not ride safe nor do they live long.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

B/B+ I can hold my own for the first 40 miles then im done for a while... stop, eat, bike check, flirt with the waitresses then good to go.

I'd say im in the "H" group. The hooligans too stupid to know when to let off but seem to make it somehow. This group typically can be found anywhere even unsafe areas pulling 100+ mph wheelies through traffic 2 up. Hooligans are knee dragging, wheelie pulling lunatics who do not practice "The Pace", do not use hand signals, and pass anywhere there might be enough room to brush elbows with a fellow rider. They do not ride safe nor do they live long.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh:I graduated from that class! Now I'm 33, married, and have a young daughter. It's amazing what'll slow you down...a little:laugh:

Ima B+ with Bosshound. After lunch I slow down to a C for a little while to let digestion work it's magic then after blood sugar goes back up, I'm a B+ again.

i like a b- or b+, depends on how the ride is going... probably more of a b- most of the time with occasional lapses into b+ territory... no way am i an a... never been on a track- all street and mostly harley/cruiser types...:thumbsup:

Hmm, hard to say. Right before I started going doing track days I was frequently going way too fast on roads that I shouldn't have been going that fast on, but event then I didn't pass guys in corners. Never really had anybody able to stay close to me when I would pick up the pace, so naturally my head began to swell. Then I went to the track and found out what fast really was... These days I "try" to keep the speed down when not on the racetrack.

Faster than some, slower than others. The only thing I know for sure is that everybody THINKS they are faster than they really are.

Not comfirtable with a. B+ is ok too and B with folks i have not rode with before

Back