Group riding?

(Charlesbusa @ Apr. 30 2007,14:27) The only thing I like about large groups is the company during breaks and lunches.  When we're on the road, I don't like to be in the mix of a lot of riders.  Just me and the road, a couple of trusted buddies is cool too.  
super.gif

On the group rides I organize, I simply tell everyone to ride their own pace and that the fast riders will wait for the slow ones at intersections where the group makes a turn.  Then I take off and push the pace to separate myself from everyone but the fastest riders.  This spreads the group out, making it safer in my opinion than when everyone is all bunched up.  One thing I have learned is that everyone should line-up according to skill level or how fast they are going to ride.  But that's hard to do without hurting feelings or egos.

I'll admit that this type of format isn't good for newbies.  But I'm a big believer in personal responsibility.  Each rider is responsible for their own judgement.  Sure give newbies advice and warnings, but you can't ride the bike for them.

If the newbie wants someone to lead or follow right behind them, no problem.  But it should be just the two of them together, not in the middle of a pack of 20.

Now if this is a large group that wants to be tight together, no problem.  But now you have to ride the pace of the slowest guy to keep it safe.  That's not my kind of ride, I'd rather stay home.

As far as when on the road riding, the best group ride I have been apart of was last year's SoCal ride on Sat.  There was 7 to 8 of us all at the same skill level.   I was leading coming up 7 levels(palm desert) and glanced in my mirror and saw 7 or 8 of us about 2 bike lengths apart leaning through a long right hander.  It was awesome  
super.gif

But most group rides have big differences in rider abilities and that just doesn't make it safe to stay bunched together.
+1 I'm with Chuckles...check the Egos at the door  
wink.gif

Ride with riders of your own skill level...don't try to keep up with a faster rider.

That day on 7 levels was awesome  
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

Back