REFUSING TO SERVICE 10-YEAR-OLD BIKES

Customers drive this policy. Make no mistake about that. If it was worth the money dealerships would work on old bikes, but today it's not worth it. Like others have stated, the old rat's nest shows up and they want a show bike returned to them for minimal dollars.

The dealers drive this policy, for Japanese and Italian motorcycles, the service department is a must have nuisance. They are notorious for bad service.

A Harley Service Tech leader makes up to $130,000 in salary per year, while a good mechanic makes close to $40 per hour. Their service departments are properly trained and geared to work on their product despite age and the dealer makes good money from that.

Any reputable motorcycle brand has a flat rate manual going back years and years. A professional service department uses that to give the customer an estimate for the task at hand and they always let the customer know that after inspection they will contact the customer for approval if extra work and costs are needed.

It is the customers decision whether to approve the costs and work or not. For most 10 year old Japanese or Italian motorcycles, if engine rebuild work is needed it could cost more than the bike blue book value. A good dealer would tell that to the customer and guide him towards making the right choice.

Anyone who wants to buy a Japanese or Italian motorcycle and who will rely 100% on the dealer for service in the long term beyond 10 years, should rather go visit the BMW or Harley dealer.

The truth is Harley dealers are refusing to work on older models.

My local dealers no longer work on Twin Cam 88's. Which should sound crazy since there is minimal difference between an 88, 96, and 103. The big deal = age. If it's a TC88 it's 15 years old now. If you have an Evo or Shovelhead you absolutely need to go to an independent.

See? A dealer that has to advertise that they actually restore and repair older bikes. It's not standard Harley Davidson dealership fare anymore.
Most of them have standard service prices up to 2007. Beyond that it is based on the situation and age of the bike. Some won’t go beyond 2007 but most will.

Most of them have standard service prices up to 2007. Beyond that it is based on the situation and age of the bike. Some won’t go beyond 2007 but most will.

Maybe in your area. In my area I have my 4 closest dealers that no longer work on TC88's. There is a 5th I'm not including that I cannot say that about as I don't know their policy.

There are three shops nearby (within 60 miles) that work on Harleys as old as Shovelheads. All independent.

Anyone who wants to buy a Japanese or Italian motorcycle and who will rely 100% on the dealer for service in the long term beyond 10 years, should rather go visit the BMW or Harley dealer.

The BMW dealer here does work on vintage iron... I've seen 70's air-heads roll through their service department and they even had a customer's old R90S in their showroom over the winter last winter for storage/showing off.

Their new bikes are all rolling computers now so if you own one, you'd better pray their dedication to older machines doesn't ever end.

I was talking to an employee at a local farm/lawn care place. It was recently purchased and the new owners have implemented an age policy for repairing older stuff-I think he said 15 yrs or older won't be touched.

He also said he told the new owners they have 2 customers who have been buying equipment from them for over 40 yrs and some of it is older than 15 yrs now..

They said policy is policy, the web site will be updated to reflect this and it is up to the service manager to enforce this..

I told him, all I know is I'm certainly glad I'm not the service manager...

If the 10-YEARS & YER OUT policy is publicly and prominently posted in the dealership service department AND the show room and purchase papers, no problem.
Buyer knows what he/she getting into.
I have no objection to an independent shop refusing ANY work. But I believe OEM'S must force AUTHORIZED DEALERS must stand behind the product.
To the fellow who said raising this issue is stealing the hard-working tuner's cash, I say you have it reversed - and, in your words, should be shot!
Just kidding about that - you already have enough holes in your head!:poke:

would these terms be the problem :
  • product liability
  • compensatory damages
  • punitive damages

these 3 terms i got as an answer in our german forum, when i narrated / talked about this subject there.

is it really so "dangerous" for dealers and workshops ?

and do the dealers / workshops have no chance to exclude these terms of law any way
at the latest when the owner signs the written repair order ?

little live story :

in june this year i, as a private mechanic, had unavoidably to put a ´99 completely into "thousand" pieces from front to rear including a pre-owned motor
that all without any warranty at all and not even for the engine
and he got a final summary of around 5.1 k euro
not caring about the costs, he simply paid all, and he was unbelievable happy to get back his best maintained ´99 babe.
very seldom i had a more happy owner/"customer" than him.

Can you imagine Porsche telling me they won't work on my $128K 2011 911 C4S when it turns 11 years old in two years. Or RAM not working on my $78,000 2013 truck in 2024?
That's actually very possible, at ten years manufacturers are no longer required to support the vehicles parts needs. So if you go into a dealer that doesn't want to spend the time looking for aftermarket parts then they turn the work away. Growing up a large part of my life in metro Detroit in usually able to find any part i need of nothing else in a junkyard but a buddy that owns a collision shop just had to school a dealership manager on where to find a hood for an 03 neon srt4. Even he says it's getting harder to find parts for the wrecks coming thru his shop. :confused::confused:

My biggest local dealer, Broward Motorsports in Florida, refuses to service ANY 10-year-old bike - even if you purchased it from them.
Froward sells Suzuki, Honda, BMW, Ducati, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Indian, and those 3-wheel brands. I've purchased - and still own - one of each of these brands from them (and others). But I have bought seven motorcycles from Broward in the last eight years - before I was aware of this policy, which they don't post or announce.
This is their official policy. While they're entitled to run their business as they want, I believe consumers should avoid them - AND the brands the sell- like the plague.
They refused to service my pristine BMW K1200GT (2007) that cost $23,900 new. And a Honda VFR.
So my question:
Why do OEMs allow them to do this?
What does this mean for a $32,000 2020 Goldwing? Or a $27,000 BMW K1600 GT? Or my $13,000 Hayabusa? Or my 2011 CBR 1000RR? My 2014 Monster?
Obviously, the OEMs (and Broward Motor Sports) think consumers are fools.
This DOES NOT happen with Harley-Davidson, which is proud of their heritage. Sport bike dudes may scoff at H-D, but they understand customer loyalty.
I've contacted all the OEMs for response.
Is my point valid - or am I crazier than usual.
Actually it does happen at most Harley dealers. Usually 1995 or newer is the average. Or 20 years or newer.
Problem is that old bikes can become a Pandora’s box. You start at one area doing a simple thing and before long half the bike is apart for other issues. Had it happen to me a few times.
Then your shop becomes attached to that problem bike. When you try to refuse the bike a second time it becomes an issue because “You worked on it before”.

Actually it does happen at most Harley dealers. Usually 1995 or newer is the average. Or 20 years or newer.
Problem is that old bikes can become a Pandora’s box. You start at one area doing a simple thing and before long half the bike is apart for other issues. Had it happen to me a few times.
Then your shop becomes attached to that problem bike. When you try to refuse the bike a second time it becomes an issue because “You worked on it before”.
WHAAACK...outa the park. :bowdown:
Rubb.

Gonna have to stop working on my wife. The marriage is way past 10 years. A trade could be real expensive though.:eek::eek::cool:
DON'T do it jelly...I've been married 3X and had about 10 "Live-ins"...
Friends joke that I have given away more washer & dryer sets than Bob Barker...
rofl.gif
it's all good thou...happiness is what's most important. :thumbsup:
happiness can be costly however. :banghead:
Rubb.

Back