How to avoid damage when bike serviced?

BangkokBusa

Registered
My bike needs to go in for service and I am afraid that she will get dinged or scratched during the work. What precautions can I take to prevent this? Should I talk to the service manager? Does a large dealer or small service shop make a difference? I would greatly appreciate any input. Also, I do not want to insult the guys that work there and have something happen to the bike as a result. I remember about 20 years ago a mechanic told me that he would take my bike through mud if he had to. And he said it like he hated me
crazy.gif
. Thanks if you can help,

Remove as much bodywork as possible. I know it sounds like a pain, but they can't harm what isn't there. I'd take it in without the lowers on and remove the hump while your at it.  Also a good idea is to install a tank bra. Even if you don't use one, it still protects the tank from other people somewhat.

I always present them with a spotless bike. When the service is completed its easy to see if there is even a greasy fingerprint on it (and) just as easy to point it out to them and get it cleaned before I leave. Agree with GMBusa too about removing what they don't need for the servicing. They can't scratch what they don't have.

Thanks guys. But how can you request for them to take very good care of a vintage bike without them getting insulted? Seems like a tough situation...I'm not mechanically inclined to do this stuff myself (valve adjust, carb cleaning, etc)
I don't have the facilities to do it myself either. Thanks again if you can add anything.

K

Its really up to the particular mechanic that gets the job but I always discuss the work and my bike with the service manager as to what I expect from them, ie: parking it indoors if they have it overnight, no test rides unless absolutely necessary, keeping the old parts for me to look at and anything else I can think of. If they think you really care about your bike maybe they'll take better care of it.

There's nothing wrong with expressing an extra desire for your bike to be handled with care. Alot of times if a shop knows your a picky customer, they will handle your bike with more care than a normal guy. Honestly, the average motorcycle isn't a clean jewel of a bike. Most i've seen are run into the ground.

The ONLY real way is to do it yourself. I remember when I bought one of my Ducs and it had it's first pre-buy servicing ! As I waited in the Showroom the owner came up, looked  
SHOCKED.gif
at me and said, "I need to talk to You" ! Well, his gen-u-wine, top of the Line Mechanic had just DROPPED the bike off the lifting stand  
wow.gif
! So, no matter who does it, if your concern about damage, DO IT YOURSELF. Then you can ONLY beat up the poor owner
laugh.gif

Really, just go over the bike with the Service Manager pointing out known problems and then GO over the bike when you pick it up  
super.gif

(GMbusa @ Jul. 17 2007,11:06) There's nothing wrong with expressing an extra desire for your bike to be handled with care.   Alot of times if a shop knows your a picky customer, they will handle your bike with more care than a normal guy.    Honestly, the average motorcycle isn't a clean jewel of a bike. Most i've seen are run into the ground.
When have you seen my bike?
ices_rofl.gif

(DaCol. @ Jul. 17 2007,11:42) The ONLY real way is to do it yourself. I remember when I bought one of my Ducs and it had it's first pre-buy servicing ! As I waited in the Showroom the owner came up, looked  
SHOCKED.gif
at me and said, "I need to talk to You" ! Well, his gen-u-wine, top of the Line Mechanic had just DROPPED the bike off the lifting stand  
wow.gif
! So, no matter who does it, if your concern about damage, DO IT YOURSELF. Then you can ONLY beat up the poor owner
laugh.gif

Really, just go over the bike with the Service Manager pointing out known problems and then GO over the bike when you pick it up  
super.gif
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenence at it's finest.

Take pics when you drop it off at the dealership ( I do this when I take my Mustang if for service). Explain to the service manager what you are doing. You wont have any problems.

I work at a dealer ship and I will tell you what you need to do. If you don't want your Fairing mess up take them off. Call them before you go to Schedule you tune up and ask them how long it will be before the job is completed this is a KEY factor here that way you know how much time your bike will be there. Next once you get to the dealership to drop off your bike for Service demand they Keep it in the Shop after the maintence is done unitl you come pick it up. This is how we do it at our shop if a customer asks. If they refuse to keep your Bike in the Shop then go some were else. Also to find out what was done and completed on the bike ask to see the Machanics notes that were made on the Repair Order if any were made. Also when you arrive at the Dealer ship service department ask that the Service writter go over your bike and have him also note it on the Repair Order that your bike is in Emaculate Condition that way you cover your butt. That way if something happens while they are working on your ride you can make them pay to repair it back to the condition that it came into the service deptartment in. They may get mad at you but SO WHAT it is your Bike and I know the guys in my shop try and treat every bike as if it were theirs and another thing if they bring your bike to you and it has finger prints and greasr marks all over it ask them to clean it up and tell them that is not how you brought it in. Like I said it may make them mad that you are anal but you know what if it were their bike they would be doing the same thing. AND THAT IS MY 2 CENTS

i brought my bike to a local reputable dealership and when i went to pick it up it had dirty waterspots all over it,i was furious,it rained the nite before and they obviously had it in the yard.they told me they didnt have enough room inside for it.my bike has never seen the rain,it almost came to them calling the cops to get me out of there,I mutha fukd everyone that worked there up and down,my bike is spotless"ALWAYS"...last time i use them and 7 of my buddies stopped going there also..F that man,if its any kind of shop they know a bike that is taken care of and should know how to treat it.

(GMbusa @ Jul. 17 2007,14:06) There's nothing wrong with expressing an extra desire for your bike to be handled with care.   Alot of times if a shop knows your a picky customer, they will handle your bike with more care than a normal guy.    Honestly, the average motorcycle isn't a clean jewel of a bike. Most i've seen are run into the ground.
I really think they don't give a shid, sorry but it's not their bike and it's just a job to must of those dudes- strip your bike as best as you can and THEN tell them to keep an eye on their staff regarding what's left.

Don't trust ANYONE to love your bike as much as you do.. it ain't happenin'.

BF

DD you are correct Sir and that is why I said when you go to a shop DEMAND that they KEEP it in the shop and if they tell you they do not have enough room go to another shop that does cause then you have that peice of mind about your ride. Any of the folks that have ridden with me or know me will tell you I have OCD when it come to my bike and if I had to take my bike to a shop I would demand this because I would have acted the same way you did Bro.

Best thing would be to do the maintenence yourself. Changing the oil is as simple as can be.

Buy a shop manual for your bike. Don't be afraid to perform your own work, it's only as hard as your mind makes it be. Plus, you have all of us to help you through anything to do with your Busa.

You go to the biggest tech in the shop and punch him in the throat... Then look at the rest and tell them anyone who scratches your ride will get worse.

Or you can do what every one else has suggested.
biggrin.gif

Dont forget if you take off the plastics yourself, dont let them charge you the 1/2 hour of labor for them doing it. You have peice of mind and saved some scratch.

(GMbusa @ Jul. 17 2007,16:14) Best thing would be to do the maintenence yourself. Changing the oil is as simple as can be.  

Buy a shop manual for your bike. Don't be afraid to perform your own work, it's only as hard as your mind makes it be.  Plus, you have all of us to help you through anything to do with your Busa.
+1 I can't imagine taking my bike somewhere to have minor maintenance (which is most all of it). The only thing I'd take it for is maybe warranty work that is covered by them. Outside of that, there's nothing they can do that I or some of my buddies can't do.
cool.gif

Back