REFUSING TO SERVICE 10-YEAR-OLD BIKES

So many Techs have not even seen a carburetor or know what it is. However they are in the shop . Most shops here have that ten year deal for about the last 4 or 5 years now . However they will do tires / chains/ wheel bearings . After that though they say no to the rest .
This is where guys like me make some extra coin . Specializing in older bikes . All my customers are 15 plus years with me , and I build motors to carburetors for them . When a new customer is referred I ask them if they are really wanting to do this . Because many times its much more $$$ than they expect . If they can not leave $500 cash for parts or worry on a $1500 to 2K rebuild then I suggest they learn themselves or go elsewhere .
Youtube in many ways has killed the shops because you can just google the repair , and 9 out of 10 times you will find countless videos on X subject .
You can’t see it very clearly due to the lighting and the trees, but this guy owns a bike junk yard about 15 miles from where I live. As far as one can see, there are thousands of old bikes just lying around. I guess that testifies the destiny of older bikes. One day I will go scratch around to see if I can find something worthy to build a bike with a sidecar, so I can take my dog for a ride.
65CC3F3B-C165-4D65-9676-AA45E826EA84.jpeg

9C97FA2F-F185-4314-965C-7297C2365D6E.jpeg

@jellyrug That is good advice for those that have the means. Drive/ride it till 1 day before warrantee goes bye-bye.
Trying to blackball dealerships and starting facebook rants,etc may have some effect on a dealer losing maybe 1% of their business.IDK.But there are people out there that just don't give a fug. They want their bike serviced and won't care if the dealership has been surrounded by a picket line of angry protestors. My guess is some of the protestors will get run over.

There are so many causes these days,so many things to get up in arms about...so many issues that need fixing.
If a persons new cause is to hurt people trying to make a living that have policy's that don't suit their needs....
Go get 'em....kill 'em all I say....
guns.gif

Power to the People. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Many new bikes need to be plugged into the "mother ship" at servicing...I don't figure that would change if the bike is 10 yrs old....what becomes of these bikes...I guess the trees at the place @jellyrug found will be their destiny..

Here we are on a forum where many bikes are older than 10yrs and are talking about their service maintenance not being supported by dealerships....something which makes ZERO sense to me.

Many new bikes need to be plugged into the "mother ship" at servicing...I don't figure that would change if the bike is 10 yrs old....what becomes of these bikes...I guess the trees at the place @jellyrug found will be their destiny..

Here we are on a forum where many bikes are older than 10yrs and are talking about their service maintenance not being supported by dealerships....something which makes ZERO sense to me.
The other stupid part of the equation, these manufacturers have inventory and parts on the shelf for older bikes not being sold or used if these dealerships refuse to repair 10+ year old bikes, seems like they would not approve of that practice

The other stupid part of the equation, these manufacturers have inventory and parts on the shelf for older bikes not being sold or used if these dealerships refuse to repair 10+ year old bikes, seems like they would not approve of that practice

That would be strange, being able to order ‘old’ parts...that their service department won’t install. What the?

That would be strange, being able to order ‘old’ parts...that their service department won’t install. What the?

There are millions upon millions of older bikes out there on the streets, I certainly can't see many dealerships supporting not working on them and still having any business. I'd say used motorcycle sales would be pretty comparable to new sales these days.

What happens if a dealership (particularly the one in Broward CO the OP talks about) sells a 10 yr old bike, would they turn around and say to the buyer that their bike wasn't welcome in the service department because of it's age?

Even like @SSGT_B said, Cadillac won't look at a vehicle over 10 yrs old...they must never accept any trade ins. Who'd go to that dealership I wonder?

You can’t see it very clearly due to the lighting and the trees, but this guy owns a bike junk yard about 15 miles from where I live. As far as one can see, there are thousands of old bikes just lying around. I guess that testifies the destiny of older bikes. One day I will go scratch around to see if I can find something worthy to build a bike with a sidecar, so I can take my dog for a ride.
View attachment 1627668

View attachment 1627663
Looks like Deal's Gap after a busy weekend.;)

Rubah, you gotta take the first picture down. That is a whisky barrel, used to age the liquor past 12 years. It surpasses your 10 year rule, not allowed brotha.
Its gotta be the sweetest sidecar ever thou. I used to drink Jameson,might fine stuff. Payday was Bushmills
drink.gif
which I believe is the oldest distillery on the planet still in production (1608) Week after payday it was Jameson...
gulp.gif
day before payday...Alberta Premium
puke.gif

I was turned onto one of my all-time favorite drinks by a sweet young barmaid in a pub across the street from an' Irish pub in of all places...Hawaii. We got to talking and she ask if I had any Irish blood in me and of course I said yes but mostly in one part...she smiled and giggled...anyway,I was introduced to "The Irish Car Bomb." WoW. I mean I could pack 'em away back in the day but holy.
If you don't know them... you take a 2 ounce shot glass and pour in 1 ounce of Bailey's Irish Cream,1 ounce of Jameson and drop the glass into a glass of Guinness and shoot it.
lick gif.gif

The next day,you don't even know your own name.
rofl.gif

I remem looking at the bar receipt in my pocket next day...among food and lots of other beverages there were 9 car bombs.
What a night...

hawaii girl.JPG

Rubb.

hey bros

holy nice girl - in deed !

did you get her adress or only the receipt ? - big grin
did you turn the receipt ? - eventually there´s a phone number 4 u ? :D

and "the refusing to service 10-year-old bikes" sounds to me
as if i, 62 now, join the doctor with flu or so and he says that he won´t take care for patients older than 35 (or so) - what an idiocy.

is as like the
madness that kawasaki some 35 years ago put all parts older than 15 years from shelf into the garbage container
to throw everything away and dispose of it that way.

and "the refusing to service 10-year-old bikes" sounds to me
as if i, 62 now, join the doctor with flu or so and he says that he won´t take care for patients older than 35 (or so) - what an idiocy.

is as like the
madness that kawasaki some 35 years ago put all parts older than 15 years from shelf into the garbage container
to throw everything away and dispose of it that way.
BMW makes a brand new bike which is 20 years old. 1800cc with 91 horse power. Just sayin

BMW makes a brand new bike which is 20 years old. 1800cc with 91 horse power. Just sayin

...but 116 ft lbs of torque....that thing will pull out tree stumps. It's hp is probably choked out by the Euro emissions.

Unless it's really competitively priced, many of them will stay on the showroom floors I reckon.

Customers drive this policy. Make no mistake about that. If it was worth the money dealerships would work on old bikes, but today it's not worth it. Like others have stated, the old rat's nest shows up and they want a show bike returned to them for minimal dollars.

One of my favorite memories of doing tuning was a customer's question, "How much do you charge?" I told him my hourly rate - what ever it was at the time. I told him to expect about 2 - 3 hours of labor. His reply, was representative of many public motorcycle consumers, "I only have $250. You're going to have to work faster."

After 3 heart surgeries last year I no longer tune for the public. It's not worth the effort, stress, or dollars.

I had a customer from many miles away call me recently to tune another crazy hot rod build. Think 30% bigger engine, cams, headwork, huge throttle bodies. Should have been an interesting time. And could have been, but it could also be a nightmare that has lots of high $$$ parts thrown at it and still has a wiring rats nest keeping it from starting. (I've had those bikes dropped off for a Power Commander tune - customers still expect basic tuning price when you have to spend 4 hours sort their poorly performed set up out in order for the bike to even start.) I told my super hot rodded bike customer that I'm not tuning anymore. He was upset and told me a regular dealer won't touch it.

I tried to explain how it's not worth working on. I no longer have garage keeper's insurance. Forget breaking his bike or blowing it up, - if a tree falls on my shop, we've established a bailment where I am now responsible for the bike since it's in my care. This is risky for all vehicles, especially running hot rods that have never seen redline before - under load. I told him how a local shop built a supercharged bike and wanted me to tune it. I refused. They were upset. I told them I'm closed, no insurance. They said, oh, the customer will pay your insurance. I told them I need $800 just to open up. Heads exploded. They figured $50. "It shouldn't cost that much per bike!!!" No. But the Insurance company doesn't charge that way. They want a bunch of cash up front to restart insuring me to work on your shite. I have no interest in paying out of my own pocket to tune your bike - surprising as that may sound.

I sent Mr. hot rod to a shop that specializes in supercharged hot rod bikes. Guess what? They were not interested in tuning a naturally aspirated monster they didn't build. He called me back begging. What can I do? I'm not paying out of my own pocket for insurance and I'm not taking the risk. Sorry.

A week later the shop down the street calls begging me to tune a customer's bike because the same local tuner I referred them to refused their supercharged monster. LOL

The lesson here is, there are a lot of customers out there, but owners of old rat bikes don't pay top dollar (usually) for the extra work their bike requires. Even owners of expensive super hot rods don't like paying top dollar for work on their bike after blowing all their cash on their upgrades. Shops are interested in making money, not doing charity work. So the guys with 10 year old bikes are being categorized in with the rest of the old rat bike guys. Yes, some 10 year old bikes are still in perfect shape, but most are not. Dealers are letting the independent shops and speed shops handle that work.

Makes little wonder why the sport of motorcycling is in decline.....

Many new riders can't afford a new bike and if there isn't an independent shop around to fix the older bikes for them (as many people don't turn wrenches anymore), they won't bother with a motorcycle.

Somehow the automotive industry seems to make a go of it even fixing older vehicles which arguably endure much worse weather conditions than any motorcycle will ever see.

I still stand behind my statement of if a motorcycle dealership sells a 10 yr old motorcycle (in Broward CO) will they tell the buyer their bike is not welcome in their service department? If this becomes reality, any bike over 10yrs needs will be ending up in the trees as there are less and less independents out there to fix them.

Back