Reasons NOT to buy a Turbo for my Busa?

Okay, you guys really aren't helping me at all....all you are giving me is more reason to buy the freakin turbo when I specifically asked for reasons NOT to buy! The air filter aerodynamics and the idea that chicks hate fast bikes were both excellent reasons but other than those you guys are really disappointing me here!:laugh:

Tell me that my insurance company will drop me if they find out I have added a turbo or that reliability goes down the toilet or that I will be replacing the rear tire every month......c'mon.....I'm dyin here and my Visa card is beside my computer now!

I am curious to know about the insurance also. Would\could they drop u or rape u with a new outrageous premium. Does anyone know for sure?
Posted via Mobile Device

Where has everyone gotten their work done?

So...getting the turbo? I want one but can't afford it. I will take a loaner if someone has one to spare.:rofl:

$300 ish for dyno tune
$300 ish for PCIII
$4200 for kit
$50 -300 for BOV
$30 for clutch springs
+ Labor
$5500 sounds fair to me, good luck

if anyone wants to spend 5500 on a turbo system....

let me know

I'll sell my turbo gixxer...

you can then have your busa AND a turbo bike to thrash.

Look at it this way! Put the 5G's into suspension and track days and you'd very quickly be out riding all your friends. Or you can do the turbo thing and have bragging rights to more HP than your friends. :thumbsup:

If it was me, I'd take the upgrade on suspension and riding skills! :beerchug:

+1

Skillz and trackbike are a better way to spend 5G's.

Besides, you'll be paying WAY MORE than 5G's just for the upkeep and operation of a turbobusa. What about engine work to make sure your beast is up to the task of turbo? Are you gonna do any timed landspeed records such as Maxton, El Mirage, or Bonneville? What about the dragstrip? Those are the only avenues I see a turbo being very useful. Other than trying to outrun cops and the ghettobird, but then that'll only go so far as you'll eventually get caught (who else has a turbo busa in your town?). Whatever you decide, good luck.

Besides, you'll be paying WAY MORE than 5G's just for the upkeep and operation of a turbobusa.

why would you think that?

turbo requires more frequent oil changes, tires, and chains....

but longevity, if done right, turbos are easier than compression on an engine.

Two reasons....money and effort. By doing nothing you save money on parts and put the key in and go...still on a very nice bike.

if you are going to feel bad after you buy a turbo and don't want to then take the extra money and send it to this way you can really kick your \self in the ass for giving it to someone you don't know or spend it on a turbo that you won't use ok hurry i am waiting for it lol :laugh::laugh:

Two reasons....money and effort. By doing nothing you save money on parts and put the key in and go...still on a very nice bike.

I sort of agree

turbos are a kick....(at first)

mine have always been stealth and the gixxer apparently has a blow off sounds that draws young rice guys to it...

it gets old after awhile unless you have a place to use it...

bikes hit triple digits even faster so worry of police is greater

hi test and race gas are expensive and sometimes a pain to find...

and fuel mileage suffers...pain to ride with guys on any bikes that sip fuel....

plus the fun is the rush....holding yourself back really kills the fun after a while.

I'd love to Turbo my copper, but I'd feel like I would be molesting it.

Last year I was looking for my first (and only) Busa, a '99 Copper. First one I found close by already had a Hahn turbo on it. Guy who built it was VERY meticulous. He put the turbo on at ~10,000 miles--stock engine, stock swingarm. He rode it another 30,000 street miles-no problems, and had it geared -1, +3. He was about to lose his job, so decided to sell.

Handed him a bank check and took it for a short ride down the street, just to check things out. Didn't even attempt to use any boost--10 psi max. with water injection. No problems, called insurance co. right in front of his house and added it to my policy--not one question from them. Rode it home and managed to get to 1 PSI at ~7,000 rpm--holy sheet! Didn't take much throttle rotation at all. But at 75 MPH the engine was spinning pretty fast.

Changed the gearing to +1, 0 to slow engine speed--much better now. Still pulls hard enough for me. Haven't gotten past 4 psi and 7,000 revs yet-have to build up my arms first. Can't imagine what it will be like at 10 psi and 10,000.

Mostly I ride my old '88 Kaw. ZX10, which used to be considered a real quick bike. I keep the Busa for special times.

Megawatt,

I was quoted 5500 for Stage 1 install and full dyno tune. Remember, I don't have any parts inclusing power commander. On top of that i will do a BOV and clutch springs.

What do you think of this price? I'm not doing any of the work and this is out the door.

Thanks

DO IT!
Posted via Mobile Device

If i was going buy a used turbo bike major consideration would be how many miles on it+how many times has it been down.

I am NOT a turbo expert, but I have done a lot of racing and if I got a street turbo and wanted it maintenance free, I would make sure you can't dial in that much boost. Maybe 3psi limit? forget water injection, that says too much boost for the street to me. If you don't want melted pistons, set it up very conservatively, Then you can have years of fun with it. Just my .02 cents.

In my opinion if you already own a busa your kinda a speed freak anyway so another 90-100HP is only going to get better. The $ part makes since because for HP to weight ratio you would spend 20K in car to up the performance like this. I've had days in which i told myself it sure would be nice to have a stock gen 2 with a pipe and more money in the bank....but then I would have looked up and have spent that money on little BS over time anyway and have nothing to show for it. One 18lb pull down the hwy is one way for me to rid of any thought of getting rid of it for me. You should really try to find someone who might let you take a ride on one and then you will probably be ordering one with you Visa before you get back home. Turbos i guess are kinda like girlfriends....they can be expensive, they can let you down, but all those thoughts go away when your riding them

I am curious to know about the insurance also. Would\could they drop u or rape u with a new outrageous premium. Does anyone know for sure?
Posted via Mobile Device

BAD NEWS.

I just spoke with my insurance company (Primmum) and they DO NOT cover motorcycles that have been modified with either a turbocharger or supercharger! I would have to change companies if I wanted to go ahead with the turbo plan. In another recent thread I was polling members on their insurance coverage and I was amazed at the number of riders who were with State Farm and even more amazed by how low their rates were compared to what I was paying. At that point I starting thinking about switching to State Farm as well although I think it would require that I bring my auto and home insurance with me which was a bit of an issue as a good friend of mine is my rep for those two.

The plan takes a fork in the road and rolls into a foggy patch!:whistle:

i used to pay 15 a month through geico for 2 motorcycles
i have since pulled my bikes off the street
and my opinion on turbo bikes is i wont ride anything else (except maybe a nitro powered bike but thats going to take alot of design lol)

Just checked with State Farm. They will insure bikes with turbos but won't cover the value of the add ons just the bike value. Also, the cost is really prohibitive unless you do bring your car insurance with you. State Farm does not require an alarm system unlike Primmum who requires it for theft coverage.

Back