Gen 1 turbo advice needed

Red baron

Registered
Hi guys
New to the forum and live in the UK, and after some help/advice please
I brought a gen 1, 2000 model and I'm putting the engine into a yamaha raptor 700 frame , but I'm going to add a stage 2 turbo kit as well. So this is why I need the help. I visited a very well known local tuning shop to me, who explained what I needed and how much it was going to cost.
His price was £1800. 00 for engine works, turbo pistons, HD studs, head work, timing chain, valves ect.
The stage 2 kit all in fitted was £5600.00, so all in all about £7500.00.
The issue I'm having is with the stage 2 kit price, whilst I know I have to pay for the shops overheads, his experience, profit, just can't get my head around it, so hears what I'm thinking.
If I buy my own stage 2 and fit it myself, (I'm good with a spanner) get him to do the engine work and to tune it.
This is what I've priced up so for (all in pounds)
Gt 28 turbo. £400
Plenum chamber £400
Turbo manifold £300
Air filter. £50
735cc injectors £200
Fuel pump £100
Tial bov. £200
Tial wastegate £100
Link pipes and bends £200

Rolling road tune £300
So this totals £2250.00
Some £3300 cheaper..

So my real question is, what else do I need and are my sums correct

Sorry for the long first post

Many thanks neil

Hi guys
New to the forum and live in the UK, and after some help/advice please
I brought a gen 1, 2000 model and I'm putting the engine into a yamaha raptor 700 frame , but I'm going to add a stage 2 turbo kit as well. So this is why I need the help. I visited a very well known local tuning shop to me, who explained what I needed and how much it was going to cost.
His price was £1800. 00 for engine works, turbo pistons, HD studs, head work, timing chain, valves ect.
The stage 2 kit all in fitted was £5600.00, so all in all about £7500.00.
The issue I'm having is with the stage 2 kit price, whilst I know I have to pay for the shops overheads, his experience, profit, just can't get my head around it, so hears what I'm thinking.
If I buy my own stage 2 and fit it myself, (I'm good with a spanner) get him to do the engine work and to tune it.
This is what I've priced up so for (all in pounds)
Gt 28 turbo. £400
Plenum chamber £400
Turbo manifold £300
Air filter. £50
735cc injectors £200
Fuel pump £100
Tial bov. £200
Tial wastegate £100
Link pipes and bends £200

Rolling road tune £300
So this totals £2250.00
Some £3300 cheaper..

So my real question is, what else do I need and are my sums correct

Sorry for the long first post

Many thanks neil

Many people have gone down this route and ended up wishing they just got a kit. Search for yourself.

I would do it myself....including engine work....just pay for a tune....but that's my only option as far as budget goes....but also i like to do it...the busa is the easiest to diy turbo....cause lots of aftermarket making parts....i had to modify a header I found for my zx11...that was made for a zrx...then my friend made a custom plenum...no header or plenum available anywhere to just buy....so busa is diy friendly.....mostly bolt on.

I would do it myself....including engine work....just pay for a tune....but that's my only option as far as budget goes....but also i like to do it...the busa is the easiest to diy turbo....cause lots of aftermarket making parts....i had to modify a header I found for my zx11...that was made for a zrx...then my friend made a custom plenum...no header or plenum available anywhere to just buy....so busa is diy friendly.....mostly bolt on.
Thanks for the reply, i think I can get all of the bits I need, some will need modding which doesn't phase me at all,

Many people have gone down this route and ended up wishing they just got a kit. Search for yourself.
I belive I can build a kit for half the shop price, everyone says by a kit, but no one has actually said why, and for 50% less, surely its gotta be worth it

I belive I can build a kit for half the shop price, everyone says by a kit, but no one has actually said why, and for 50% less, surely its gotta be worth it
they say its not worth it because a lot of times the individual parts bought are junk, or don't work together.. up pipes and fitment are an issue also... an rcc kit is actually guaranteed for 2 years... its peace of mind I guess.... lots of research and development in the kits.

I guess that's really what I want to know, what parts work with other parts and any key bits missing, there must be loads of people out there who have built there own kits with success, I can weld and fabricate, and a friend does cnc machining,.
Also due to it being in a quad, and kit I get would have to be modified anyway

so lb to dollar is 1.3

Gt 28 turbo. £400 <-- not sure about you but my Garrett T3/T4 was $1400 (dual ball bearing) - this is about $500 USD. Good luck running a $500 turbo.
Plenum chamber £400
Turbo manifold £300
Air filter. £50
735cc injectors £200 - my 60lbs injectors i believe were like $450
Fuel pump £100 - close
Tial bov. £200 - tial was $350
Tial wastegate £100
Link pipes and bends £200 - i
Wheres your fuel regulator thats about $150
assuming im close you are now much closer to kit cost. plus warranty and support.

I guess that's really what I want to know, what parts work with other parts and any key bits missing, there must be loads of people out there who have built there own kits with success, I can weld and fabricate, and a friend does cnc machining,.
Also due to it being in a quad, and kit I get would have to be modified anyway
And for that knowledge you will have to pay. Either yourself through trial and error, or someone else to have a kit that works. As we discussed, I have done it the way you are trying, from necessity rather than stubbornness, and I. Would. Not. Do. It. Again.
Here's the thing, yes, you can do it the way you want and be successful, nobody here is telling you it can't be done. I for one know it can, I've done it. It's just foolish to do so. Buying a kit is simply a better way of doing it. Look at your figures again, you have made a calculation error. You won't save as much money as you think, it's a huge pain in the ass, and you have no warranty on anything.

so lb to dollar is 1.3

Gt 28 turbo. £400 <-- not sure about you but my Garrett T3/T4 was $1400 (dual ball bearing) - this is about $500 USD. Good luck running a $500 turbo.
Plenum chamber £400
Turbo manifold £300
Air filter. £50
735cc injectors £200 - my 60lbs injectors i believe were like $450
Fuel pump £100 - close
Tial bov. £200 - tial was $350
Tial wastegate £100
Link pipes and bends £200 - i
Wheres your fuel regulator thats about $150
assuming im close you are now much closer to kit cost. plus warranty and support.
The turbo price was for a genuine garett tr28 double ball bearing (which the builder was going to use anyway,)
So I might be a bit out on some of the other figures, still doesn't equate to 50%

Ok, so let's go another way, I build it myself and it doesn't work, or work as well as it should for whatever reason, it would only go back to one shop to be sorted out. This is the same shop that said use a garrett t28, the manifold would be the same, the plenum regardsless of whoeveres it is would have to be cut and modified, so what are they gonna change? All the big key components are already there,

Ok, so let's go another way, I build it myself and it doesn't work, or work as well as it should for whatever reason, it would only go back to one shop to be sorted out. This is the same shop that said use a garrett t28, the manifold would be the same, the plenum regardsless of whoeveres it is would have to be cut and modified, so what are they gonna change? All the big key components are already there,

No worries you do what you feel is right. All I'm trying to say is this has been tried so many times before. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

And for that knowledge you will have to pay. Either yourself through trial and error, or someone else to have a kit that works. As we discussed, I have done it the way you are trying, from necessity rather than stubbornness, and I. Would. Not. Do. It. Again.
Here's the thing, yes, you can do it the way you want and be successful, nobody here is telling you it can't be done. I for one know it can, I've done it. It's just foolish to do so. Buying a kit is simply a better way of doing it. Look at your figures again, you have made a calculation error. You won't save as much money as you think, it's a huge pain in the ass, and you have no warranty on anything.
Why did yours not work then?

No worries you do what you feel is right. All I'm trying to say is this has been tried so many times before. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
This is what I'm trying to get at, I know it's been done before, so worked, some didn't, but why?

The turbo price was for a genuine garett tr28 double ball bearing (which the builder was going to use anyway,)
So I might be a bit out on some of the other figures, still doesn't equate to 50%
I dunno man... this is going on a quad... u need to do aloooot of homework and networking if u wanna be on a budget and have it work... not many are gonna give away their hard earned secrets for free...

Back