Rear Break Question

I almost always use both brakes to some extent on the street.
It is a skill that is definitely learned
Here are some other thoughts from some other guys:

Brakes.jpg

Last edited:
Trail braking:

application of the rear brake entering and MID turn to upset the balance of the bike essentially putting more bias to the front tire and allowing the bike to lean more (as rear tire tends to slide towards the outside of the turn).. in extreme cases "backing the bike in" to the corner..
QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you not advocating using the rear brake to trail brake and "Back it in" ?

Most guys who learn the art of "Backing it in" and it is indeed an art, learn on a dirt track. Most guys who can do it effectively learned while flat tracking then carried it over to the asphalt.

No one and I repeat, NO ONE learns to back a bike into the corners in a paved parking lot! You can take all the time you want on the track and I can assure you the "Backing it in" process will cost you numerous crashes.

I'd suggest you sign up at Rich Oliver's Mystery School, located in Fresno, if you are really interested in learning to "Back it in". You'll spend three days of torture on a 125cc dirt bike and you will crash at least 50 times. By the end of the third day you'll be so sore you'll rejoyce when it's over. So get yourself into good shape before you go. If I remember correctly the cost is around a grand and it is money well spent.

If you decide to give it a go on your own using your beloved busa, I'd suggest you buy at least a dozen spares because you will total most of them before you reach competency!
I learned to back a bike in on a dirt flat track in Pueblo CO some 30 years ago racing 250 class on a 1/4mile oval.. and you can either use the brake or the throttle to back a bike in.. not that hard to do.. just a matter of having the confidence to know where the bike is going.... Part 2 is rolling back on the throttle and driving it out of the corner.. The bike is powersliding clear to the next turn entry where you slam the throttle shut and repeat...

you can choose to believe the busa will do it or not, no skin off my azz but it is not that hard to do.. sorry if this rubs your tail the wrong way..

and really add the next sentence to the quote.... " Fine in a controlled environment but for a street rider on a typical street? this is a lot different than just using the rear brakes.." and if you ever rode with me, you would also see that it is a rare occasion that I even use my brakes after I have come to the turn in point.. In fact, you would probably never see the lights come on an average day...

Last edited:
Hey Biscuit
Thanks! He is usually trying to chew me a new one.
Glad to see he spreads it around! :laugh:
yea not sure where he came from on this one...my rear brakes do not get used very often (last trip to the Dragon saw more than usual with wet conditions and wet leaf clutter everywhere.. was a lot more work than fun) Guess he failed to "read" the thread completely..

Rear brake 30% ???

Page 10 says that the front brakes provide "at least 3/4 of your braking power"

I was hoping someone would nitpick

each source is slightly different, but they are much closer to 30% than 10-15% people claim, heck most here are claiming zero???

I was hoping someone would nitpick

each source is slightly different, but they are much closer to 30% than 10-15% people claim, heck most here are claiming zero???

On SPORT bikes...in an emergency stop, rear brake is only 10-20%

For Cruiser's which are heavier and don't transfer as much weight to the front...30% is a more accurate number.

For Cruiser's which are heavier and don't transfer as much weight to the front...30% is a more accurate number.
pretty sure you have about 50% on the rear.. try Jenny Craig... :rofl:

I bet you use the rear brake a lot :laugh:

hey hows the healing process? I am dying to hear you zing down the dragon again sounding like a 600 gixxer... :whistle:

In an emergency stop...

are you stopping or am I?

In a controlled stop you can not put THAT much force on the front end or it becomes vulnerable to washout from skidding.

Just you tube the number of "endo" accidents and watch the lack of control they have before the crash. Once you are transferring 90% of your force to the front wheel you have essentially lost control. These are not unicycles. You need to also consider the position you place the rider in once you have chosen to stop in the "diving manner". The Riders force begins to lift off the bars as the rider raises over the bike. Rider's ergo are crucial to the performance and abilities of the bike. They are even factored in the design.

sorry the situation and instructional you are giving as fact is a panic situation where the rider does not have control, they are grabbing for brakes and hoping for the best.

I don't think the exact % number matters.
Hey anything over 0% in an emergency and I'm using the rear for sure.
Every bit helps.
It does feel like it stabilizes the bike for me so I always have used it. When I have an emergency, it is second nature, an almost instinct to use it because I always have.
I can sure stop faster with it than without.

Last edited:
pretty sure you have about 50% on the rear.. try Jenny Craig... :rofl:

I bet you use the rear brake a lot :laugh:
I only use my rear brake on the street, stopping for a red light.

hey hows the healing process? I am dying to hear you zing down the dragon again sounding like a 600 gixxer... :whistle:

Shoulder is doing much better!!!

In an emergency stop...

are you stopping or am I?

In a controlled stop you can not put THAT much force on the front end or it becomes vulnerable to washout from skidding.

Just you tube the number of "endo" accidents and watch the lack of control they have before the crash. Once you are transferring 90% of your force to the front wheel you have essentially lost control. These are not unicycles. You need to also consider the position you place the rider in once you have chosen to stop in the "diving manner". The Riders force begins to lift off the bars as the rider raises over the bike. Rider's ergo are crucial to the performance and abilities of the bike. They are even factored in the design.

sorry the situation and instructional you are giving as fact is a panic situation where the rider does not have control, they are grabbing for brakes and hoping for the best.

OK Dude whatever...maybe someday you'll get those training wheels off that bike of your's :thumbsup:

yep and one day maybe you can come up and take a rider's course. If you bring me an apple, I might let you sit in the first row.

I'll probably be out riding, but thanks anyway :beerchug:

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"

Back