New EBC HH's installed.. now there's a noise.

04Duramax

Registered
So Installed my EBC's last night.. finally.. then took it out for a ride today. I keep hearing a what sounds like rubbng/buffing noise from the front rotors now, nothing from the rear. I made sure I followed the maintenance manual to a T and reinstalled everything correctly. My question is is this a normal noise until the pads break in? I didn install them on my used OEM rotors (only had 7800 mi on them). The noise gets louder as speed increases (starts at about 30mph). When I got to work I jumped off and checked the front rotors to see if they were overheating (due to caliper drag or something) and the disc's were still cool to the touch.. only a 6 mi ride to work.. and the calipers were still pretty cool. I know the back of the package said they take roughly 250mi to break in so just checking to see if anyone else had these issues as well.

Also just on a side note.. I noticed a dramatic increase in brake performance in the rear but nothing really notible in the front... thought I would notice it a little more.

Mine buzzed for quite some time. Sounded like a fly in my helmet.
Bzzzzzzzzzzz at all speeds. Finally went away.

I just installed the reat EBC's and doing the fronts tomorrow. I couldn't wait. I wasn't very hard on the rear break, but didn't see a big improvement. I don't think the system has air in it, but it could.

You received old stock. EBC has upgraded the pad material and according to EBC illiminated the noise. The EBC Extreme Pro's do not whine and neither does the brand new GP pads. The new GP pads are actually the extreme pro pads with more ceramic powder in the pad material and will be sold as race only pads but they work wonderfully well on the street. I have a set on my gixxer now and they are wonderful.

Tuf I wanna put a set of extreme pros on the front but not really on the rear. I think I'd like to to back to factory on the rear so it doesn't bite too much. What's your op on that?

Depends soley upon how hard you do or don't ride.
If you're a track guy or a hard riding street guy you won't care about mileage, you'de just want the extra performance.
If you just like to cruise I don't see there being a dramatic difference in pad life, but you'de still have better stopping power.:beerchug:

Tuf I wanna put a set of extreme pros on the front but not really on the rear. I think I'd like to to back to factory on the rear so it doesn't bite too much. What's your op on that?

I like the way you think Saiid. I never upgrade the rear to make it more aggressive. That is simply asking for trouble! :beerchug:

If you're a track guy or a hard riding street guy you won't care about mileage, you'de just want the extra performance.
If you just like to cruise I don't see there being a dramatic difference in pad life, but you'de still have better stopping power.:beerchug:

Around here.. lots of elderly that can NOT see. They short stop for a yellow light by 50' roughly. If it turns yellow and they are 15' from the light they are locked up and stopped short of it. It's a different way. So.. i do enjoy have the tools if needed.

Around here.. lots of elderly that can NOT see. They short stop for a yellow light by 50' roughly. If it turns yellow and they are 15' from the light they are locked up and stopped short of it. It's a different way. So.. i do enjoy have the tools if needed.

Just bed them in and get used to them, as one finger stoppies are now easy. It takes less pressure to stop sooner, and it's also easier to lock the front if you're not careful.
SS lines make a big improvement in brake feel too. Even aftermarket levers can help if you find them more comfortable in your hands, and prefer the extra adjustment from the bars they offer(no other gain).
The better the bike fits YOU the better off you are.

I like the way you think Saiid. I never upgrade the rear to make it more aggressive. That is simply asking for trouble! :beerchug:

I wonder from experience. I have the HH's on rear now and did when I hit the back of the van. I had control till what seemed like the very last millisecond when the rear locked up and I lost ability to steer around. I've always wondered if I had the factory pads in if it still would have locked up liked it did. Since it happened so quick I can only guess but it makes sense to think a more aggressive pad on rear will lock up sooner, no?

I wonder from experience. I have the HH's on rear now and did when I hit the back of the van. I had control till what seemed like the very last millisecond when the rear locked up and I lost ability to steer around. I've always wondered if I had the factory pads in if it still would have locked up liked it did. Since it happened so quick I can only guess but it makes sense to think a more aggressive pad on rear will lock up sooner, no?

Yes the more agressive pad will lock sooner.
But you would be amazed at the difference of rear brake feel(thus control) just by having aftermarket rearsets.
The stockers use a bushing and it's not nearly as smooth of a pedal operation as an aftermarket with bearings instead.
I know that 1st hand from changing lines, pads, and rearsets, and the difference in rear brake feel and touchyness(if that's a word:laugh:) while using it to control long and high wheelies.
I now know exactly when it will bite(which is almost instantly:laugh:) as opposed to the spongey feeling and waiting to be suprised when they bite.

Yes the more agressive pad will lock sooner.
But you would be amazed at the difference of rear brake feel(thus control) just by having aftermarket rearsets.
The stockers use a bushing and it's not nearly as smooth of a pedal operation as an aftermarket with bearings instead.
I know that 1st hand from changing lines, pads, and rearsets, and the difference in rear brake feel and touchyness(if that's a word:laugh:) while using it to control long and high wheelies.
I now know exactly when it will bite(which is almost instantly:laugh:) as opposed to the spongey feeling and waiting to be suprised when they bite.

I agree! If you are using your rear brake on long high wheelies you need a race pad with the hardest compound you can find along with a wave rotor to assist in cooling because that puppy will glow red in the dark from excess heat. I can't remember the last time I used the rear brake on a long wheelie. Excecuted properly the compression will work just fine to keep the beast from getting behind the balance point to far. Doing slow wheelies the rear brake is a necessary tool but I find an gressive rear brake is really hard to manage. A stock rear brake works just dandy for my use.

Back