Raising the rear!

Sweet , but I gotta go low for the drags . Has anyone dragged with the front down and the rear up ?

I know this is an old post I am trying to revive, but I am interested in raising the rear of my Busa slightly for quicker turn-in, but am worried about top end stability. Yup, I actually take full advantage of that stability on a frequent basis. I would appreciate any info on this. I understand SV links will raise the bike, but thought I saw an adjustable set on a website, but can't remember where.

Bronc, I've got some SV links, and I'll probably put them on this week. If the weather allows, I'll let you know how it works. My bike's not broken in yet, so I can't push the high speed test yet, though
smile.gif

Hi guys. New memeber, first post so be gentle.

Don't shoot the messenger but these are few things I've picked up as a Busa owner since 2000.
Shortening the tie bars increases the spring rate making it harder/harsher at an earlier point. This reduces traction mid corner. I even managed a few black lines on the corners. Good for street cred, bad for your underwear
laugh.gif

It also changes the route of the chain. Busas were originally critised for their swing arm pivot point in relation to the front sproket and rear sprocket. That is why it is so important to have your chain the right tension on a Busa. The torque reaction when the bike is under acceleration tries to straighten the chain. If it has to run over the top of a higher swing arm pivot eventually it will try to cut through your chain guide and swing arm! See my avatar, that swingarm is chewed to pieces at the front.

I found the best compromise to be a shock with an adjustable ride height.
The change to the geometry here is caused by the extra length of the shock and not a reduced tie bar length. Combined with a new yoke and a 5mm drop at the front, it steers much quicker and the spring rate does not appear to be as affected if at all, giving better traction when on the gas exiting a corner.
It still raises the back giving it that racier look but just not as much. Unfortunately it still drives the chain over the top of the swingarm at the pivot.

I am seriously considering whether it is possible to modify a frame to move the swingarm pivot lower. Not sure whether I read that or just dreamt it.
wink.gif

Hope this may be of some use.

Cheers

Fish

Thanks for that observation, Nick. I noticed the change in that geometry when I put my raising links on and was adjusting the chain. I'm going to keep an eye on the guide. All said, I absolutely love the feel of the bike with the rear raised. I ride with some very talented guys on 600's and 1000's. I know part of the improvement is getting used to the Busa, but after struggling to keep up with the faster guys in the twisties, the new suspension has me looking for opportunities to pass. Did I mention I love this bike?

You are absolutely right.
There is nothing better than using dropping her in tight on the tail of a 600 or 750 rider as your enter a bend then leave them in your wake as you ride that mountain of torque. Man, it makes me chuckle just thinking about it ::D:

I used to have a relatively standard Busa and if the truth be known, I only sold it on to buy my current Busa because of the photos I saw of her in one of our UK bike papers.
Rear waaaaaayy in the air, looking just like the bike Suzuki should have made.

A few changes later and well, she isn't quite as high at the rear now but a ride out with the 'pocket rockets' at a weekend soon has them coming over to ask what the hell have I done to her and "don't I know I'm riding a sports-tourer that has no right to handle that well!!!!"
It's the only way to fly.

Happy cornering mate.

Back