R6 --> Hayabusa

nychris

Registered
I bought my first bike this summer, a 2003 Yamaha R6. I figured it was a good beginners bike, and it was. I love my R6, but I have Hayabusa fever right now.....I have to have one of those bikes for the Spring. I've put about 2000 miles on the R6 and went down once on my 4th day riding in a parking lot during a slow speed turn.

My question is, how difficult is riding the 'Busa compared to an R6? I don't want the 'Busa to do 200mph on it, I like it more for the look of the bike. I don't drive faster than 80mph, and thats only on the highway.

it ain't a ballerina like that R6, that's for sure.

The Busa moves with with a purpose....kinda like that chubby lil kid who's running late for lunch.

And yes, I was that kid....

i say get the busa just be very very carefull.. I only have 2 fingers on the throttle and the rest of my hand on the bar end lol.

it ain't a ballerina like that R6, that's for sure.

The Busa moves with with a purpose....kinda like that chubby lil kid who's running late for lunch.

And yes, I was that kid....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What makes the bike so dangerous? Is it people doing stupid things on it, or is the throttle so sensitive that you might slip on accident and open it up too much at the wrong time? What about the weight of the bike, it it tough to make turns on it?

The weight will be very noticable from slow speed down to a stop and slow starting. I had a 636 before my RF900. The RF weighs 100lbs more than the 636. I have almost dropped my RF about 6 times while stopping or taking off slowly while turning because of the weight difference. The Busa weighs almost 100 lbs more than the RF, so coming off of your R6 will be a bike drop waiting to happen. Almost 200 lbs difference. Just stay focused and you will be alright.

<!--EDIT|mikeo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128312192 -->

The weight will be very noticable from slow speed down to a stop and slow starting. I had a 636 before my RF900. The RF weighs 100lbs more than the 636. I have almost dropped my RF about 6 times while stopping or taking off slowly while turning because of the weight difference. The Busa weighs almost 100 lbs more than the RF, so coming off of your R6 will be a bike drop waiting to happen. Almost 200 lbs difference. Just stay focused and you will be alright.
My R6 weighs 330lbs and I believe the busa is around 450lbs so it is a big difference in weight.  I'm not a small guy though, I'm 6'1" 250lbs, but I'm sure the weight difference will take some getting used to.   Turning is what I was worried about, especially low speed turns (I've already fallen once during one of those, but I learned my lessson on what I did wrong).

<!--EDIT|nychris
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128312518 -->

What makes the bike so dangerous?   Is it people doing stupid things on it, or is the throttle so sensitive that you might slip on accident and open it up too much at the wrong time?   What about the weight of the bike, it it tough to make turns on it?
I went from a 600 to the Beast so I think I can talk honestly about the differences.

My ZX-6 only weighs 298lbs. That's 200 lbs (give or take) lighter than the Busa. The ZX6 is soooo much more nimble at the twisties but not near as fast on the straightaways.

The Busa "scare-the-cr4p out of you" effect comes from it's monster torque. When you leave the light and twist a little too much, the front end rises like a stallion to say 'Yee Haw, let's go!' If you keep your RPM below 5,000 it's just as docile as the 6. The key is how quick it gets to 5,000. In no time it's there. Just get used to how quick-reacting the throttle is before you ride and you'll know how to control it.

For me driving around in parking lots or slow speeds is a no-brainer. A bike is a bike and if I'm coming to a stop, the foot comes down. Simple. If you can balance a 600 you can balance the 1300. I don't recommend doing low-speed stuff like turning the bars to left-or-right lock and then trying to accelerating away. It'll hurt. For just driving around town, no problems. It has a low-enough center of gravity that it feels just like the zx-6; just wider.

I commute on my bikes through lots of traffic and then lots of open roads. The ONLY initial complaint I had on the Busa compared to the 6 was the clutch handle. I now have a Popeye forearm on my left so I'm OK. Initially I was screaming in pain while sitting in stop-go traffic. [2 lanes, no splitting available] The rubber ball exercise helped alot on this one.

The Busa has it all. Sexy Attitude and the power to back it up. Gawd I love this bike.

i went from a R6 to the busa myself. i had a '02 and had roughly 3 years/18k miles on the R6 before i sold her and got the busa. for me, the busa was so much more comfortable (im 6'3" 200lbs) and on a R6.. i felt like a gorilla riding a bananna.
wow.gif
as far as comparing the 2 bikes.. i cant. i still miss my R6, just cause how nimble it was. u could throw it around like it was nothing. The busa.. u can throw around, just takes a bit more muscle. but the speed... holy crap! i thought my R6 accelerated stupid fast with its 15/50 gearing... but this bike (stock gearing) just TAKES OFF! weird thing is.. i really didnt think it did, until last week. i road with a friend with a 2k 600 with gears like my old R6. we were getting on the freeway and i took off normally, and next thin u know, im at the top of the onramp, and hes still at the bottom! when we stopped later he was like "damn u took off!" i was like, hell no i didnt, i was being slow and waiting for u. after we left, we "Raced" and OMG! this busa is just SO powerful *gotta love the TQ* i but BUS lengths on him in seconds. would i recommend the busa for someone who had a 600 for 2000 miles.. not really.. but who am i to say anything. as long as u respect the bike, it wont bite. but u snap that throttle, u better b ready for what she dishes out.

My last bike was a 2000 R6 and the most noticable thing was the weight and braking the power takes a little getting use to the heavier weight to throw around and moving it and the you will not stop on a dime any more like the R6 did but the power it has you just twist and go dont have to down shift and the compfort is better back does not hurt after 45 min of riding "the risers help that also" ..... in summary get the BUSA will not regret it .
cool.gif

Aziroc & Jace, thanks guys, its good to hear from people who were in my situation. I'm 95% sure I'm getting an '06 Busa this spring now. I can't wait!

Jace, I know what you mean about your back hurting after 45min on the R6. I rode to the Hamptons the other day (1hour ride) and my back was getting so stiff towards the end of the ride. I love the idea of the Busa being more of a Sport/Touring bike.

Try about 500+ lbs so yea be careful at slow speed stops and starts and turns. You'll be fine go and get one and these word are notorious here POST UP PICS
biggrin.gif

What makes the bike so dangerous?   Is it people doing stupid things on it, or is the throttle so sensitive that you might slip on accident and open it up too much at the wrong time?   What about the weight of the bike, it it tough to make turns on it?
Power delivery is a great deal smoother on the Busa than the R6 - the throttle isn't as sensitive at all.

Its just the higher revs that give a different feel - all that torque just keeps on coming.

nychris, just take your time and stay focused while riding and it will be alright.

This should help put it into prospective;

A VW New Bettle, with a 2.0 L 4cyl. motor makes 115 HP, and 125 'lbs of torque. The car weighs just over 3,000 lbs.

The Busa, roughly 175 hp (155 range to the tire), a hair under 100 ' lbs of torque............and weighs about 500 lbs.......

You twist, it goes........quickly.

With that said, as others have already mentioned, it is as docile as can be under 5K.

Back