Question on 2nd gear

Down1Undah

Registered
Hello everyone ! I experienced the dreaded second gear jump yesterday. At maybe 8/9k rpm, it seemed my chain jumped but my chain is tight, lubed, and a few months old so I doubt it actually was, never experienced the 2nd gear jump before but that’s what it felt like.
Was wondering how long I can still ride before it gets worse, and if there is any preventative measures/care I can do to slow it down from becoming worse ?
But I will be babying it for the time being- at least in 2nd ;)

Sorry, it is what it is.
Ride it like you stole it, it makes no difference at this point, and actually never did.
A 100k mile beater can have a good transmission, and 2nd gear fail on a trailer queen show bike.
An undercut transmission, yours or another, is the only fix.

welcome to the org

Sorry, it is what it is.
Ride it like you stole it, it makes no difference at this point, and actually never did.
A 100k mile beater can have a good transmission, and 2nd gear fail on a trailer queen show bike.
An undercut transmission, yours or another, is the only fix.

welcome to the org
For sure yes, im just wondering if it will keep getting worse over time even with babying it ? Only reason is because I’m going on vacation this summer and bringing my bike with me, getting the transmission undercut will be a winter project for me.

For sure yes, im just wondering if it will keep getting worse over time even with babying it ? Only reason is because I’m going on vacation this summer and bringing my bike with me, getting the transmission undercut will be a winter project for me.

Nah, going easy guarantees nothing, it could become much worse on the next ride, or slip occasionally for a long time.
But, if it goes completely, you can still safely ride the bike shifting from 1st to 3rd, the Busa has enough torque to not damage the clutch.
It sucks that it happened, but I wouldn't be concerned about it either, knowing you'll get to it when you have time.

2nd gear "jumping out" ?

sounds not that easy to repair, because the dogs ´n notches st the gearsprockts are probably demaged
and to fix that the engeine´s gearbox needs to be opened,
means engine out , box opened, gears renew und all back together.

the whole thing is a fiddly job as hell.
i know that for sure because i've done it three times in the last few years.

by my own experiances i estimate that job need round 15-20 hours by an experianced mechanic !
here in germany i guess such a repair is around 1200-1400 € at a private workshop ,
at an official one 2.100-2.300 € (caused by the hour-costs)

will say
1. not an easyfixed isuue
2. not that cheap but more or less expensive

and watch the videos at this link

Last edited:
Yep, I've had the same problem in 2nd for about 5 years now. Baby it and pray...I'll probably pull mine apart and replace the tranny within the next 1-3yrs.

Back