2nd gear high rpm stutter

karlmalone1

Registered
Hey guys my bikes been doin this for a couple weeks now..when i full throttle second gear to redline, at about 8-9K it stutters and the bike kind of jumps, but then it continues on to redline. This only happens in 2nd gear, tried 1st, 3rd, 4th, its fine in all those gears. Also, when i full throttle from 1st to 2nd the problem isn't there, only when i WOT in second from any other speed. It's pretty discomforting, any clue on what it could be?

Make sure your idle is adjust to the proper RPM, when it's low it sometimes causes an early limit. Quit abusing that ride man :laugh:

May be a fuel problem.
Try and run some Techron, Seafoam, or BG44K etc through and see if it improves.
Good Luck!

Does this happen in first gear as well or are you changing up early?...

As above run some of the higher octane addictive to your fuel and see if this will clean out the fuel lines.

check the colour of the burn on your spark plugs, if the plugs are on the turn it may be hidden by hot engine or one just cruising along.

you can sometimes get a better spark by increasing the recommended gap another 5thou.

check the settings of your throttle cable and hot and cold running is correct.

If your burning more fuel check your air filter is clean

Hey guys my bikes been doin this for a couple weeks now..when i full throttle second gear to redline, at about 8-9K it stutters and the bike kind of jumps, but then it continues on to redline. This only happens in 2nd gear, tried 1st, 3rd, 4th, its fine in all those gears. Also, when i full throttle from 1st to 2nd the problem isn't there, only when i WOT in second from any other speed. It's pretty discomforting, any clue on what it could be?

Did you ever fix the stutter? I having the exact same problem on my 07 busa.

07 here to. Same f**king problem, just bought mine with 4500 miles. Do search and you'll find its a somewhat common tranny issue. Feel like i just took it up the A** without Vaseline. Felt great until I found this crap out. Owned every make of bike but Suzuki (my last being a ZX10R) until my busa, thought they were better than this...

probably 2nd gear slippin. as stated above,, why abuse the ride... these bikes are setup for sport touring.... maybe it's a clutch plate issue...

hi guys,

my 04 just turned 15k, and she is running great! i have to say that most of the issues that i have faced have been rider based! as of now, she walks and talks like a beast.

probably 2nd gear slippin. as stated above,, why abuse the ride... these bikes are setup for sport touring.... maybe it's a clutch plate issue...

That was my thoughts as well. That is right in meat of the torque curve. I don't think it's an engine stutter that your feeling.

dude im having the same problem with my 07. several people have told me that second is going out. another guy told me it could be the clutches. im gonna pull em and inspect em before i pull the motor though. ill let you know.
mine almost seems like an electrical problem but im pretty sure its not.
if the clutches arent bad i might just roll this b**** this summer and fix it in the winter. it rides perfect other than 5500+ rpms under a load, 2nd gear only

I think somebody has that dreaded 2nd gear issue:( starts off like a miss in 2nd gear under acceleration and it will get worse:(
I had to get tranny undercut in 2 Busa engines.

well at first I thought it was only in second gear but it seems like its doing the same in all the gears except first maybe.

I replaced the plugs yesterday even though they didn't look that bad

I just checked the fuel pressure and it maintained between 44-42psi. It would be nice to maybe test the fuel pressure under some kind of a load.

anyone know what my problem might be? Ive been reading online for days.

I think somebody has that dreaded 2nd gear issue:( starts off like a miss in 2nd gear under acceleration and it will get worse:(
I had to get tranny undercut in 2 Busa engines.

Thanks for the info. You are 100% correct. I never realized that when people said their gear popped out that it came right back in automatically. I always thought they meant they had to manually shift it back into gear.

Probably not a clutch issue...I'm having the same problem with my '04. Mechanic thought it was the clutch and changed it out, guess what, problem still exist. So know he thinks there's a problem with 2nd gear, personally I think it's an electrical issue rather than a mechanical one

probably the rectifier...they seem to crap out a lot on these bikes. @danfaster... what does undercut the tranny mean? what are you actually doing to the transmission?

sorry to say but sencond gear is going out. i just found out thats what my problem was.

now does that mean the teeth on the gear are worn down not catching? (sorry for stupid questions but I try and learn all I can from the .org):thumbsup:

now does that mean the teeth on the gear are worn down not catching? (sorry for stupid questions but I try and learn all I can from the .org):thumbsup:

The teeth are most likely fine. The problem is with the "dogs" on the side of the gear. The dogs are what select the gear that is used. These "dogs" get their edges rounded off through hard acceleration.

The dogs are kinda like the cush drive on your rear wheel except they move in and out to select different gears and are made of metal and not rubber. Where as the cush drive just stays put on the wheel and never moves out.

Undercutting them is exactly what is described. They machine (cut) a slight negative (under) angle on them so they lock in better.

If you google hayabusa undercut you will see more details about this mod.

Back