2nd gear slipping!!???

Shmoo

Registered
Anybody ever heard of the transmission going bad on the Busa? I have an '02, PCIIIr, 10,000 miles. Rolling hard in 2nd gear, I get a sudden slip. At first, I thought my chain was loose, jumping a tooth or something. Checked chain, it's fine. I even have a new clutch (unrelated problem). Somebody mentioned that it might be due to my 2nd gear rounding off a gear tooth, and may have to replace it. Anybody have this problem, or ever fixed a tranny???

Ok.............
Now I GOTTA ask. What causes it? Am I being retarded behind the wheel somehow? (I never use my clutch for popping wheelies)
Let me know please, and how hard is it for me to fix? Can I get away with just buying the 2nd gear tranny sprocket???

you need to pull it apart due to your drum and fork are most likely shot.
It is cause from either sloppy shifting or powershifying

shifter fork? Is that easy to fix?
What would you categorize as "lazy shifting"? And is "power shifting", just shifting up without the clutch?

power shifting is yes no clutch and lazy is you don't slam it in you kinda shift like you don't want to.
and yes I bet a fork and the drum is shot
still have to pull the motor down

Is this something that an average "mechanically inclined" person like myself can do? I did my clutches by myself, not too much of a problem. How involved and tricky is dropping an engine? When taking it apart at the shift fork area, are there tons of gaskets that I'll need to replace, and is there a catostrophic sequence of order that I'll have to pay attention to when taking parts out, so they'll go back in properly?
Also, and suggestions on "What Else" I should inspect while I have the engine apart? Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

poop I have the same problem

I notice this only when i romp on the bike hard..WHile ridding hard or passing cars

only noticed it in second gear 6-8000 rpm while passing or taking off fast.. Soon as the bike gets to the 6-8000 RPM slight delay (Feels like the Chain SLips) then takes off. Feels like the Chain SLips..But Im thinking it could be the clutch, since it only happens in second gear. if it was the chain it should happen in any gear, right?

Chain is tight, Sproket is worn a bit but nothing rounded off. Still the stock Chain andsproket less then 10.000 miles.

Seems to have started since I had the map changed, But also Ive been taking it easy so far this year.. have really not got on it to hard before the pc3r map change

ok, willdo. From all the info I've gotten so far, seems like dropping the engine is inevitable. Changing 2nd/6th gearing on the tranny, and the shifter fork. I'll let you know what I get involved in, but I'm going to hold off doing this until later this summer I think. *unless it gets worse*.
down.gif

I just replaced my clutch. Word on the street (multiple suzuki mechanics) is to stay STOCK with the clutches/plates. I myself did that last week. AND, I installed some aftermarket/heavy duty clutch springs from Shnitz racing. These springs are longer, and stronger. It was also recommended to add a clutch slave support when doing aftermarket springs. That was easy to install.

so after installing the clutch you still have that slip?
I hate to put a new clutch in and that not be the problem.

Shmoo,

someone just suggested a flat stop in the map........Does that sound like it could be? I have a pc3r also. What map are you running?

i don't think he has a map problem, thats what we though first on my bike, i unpluged my pc3r & i still had the same problem. just unpluged & see what happens, if it stayed the same it means it's your trans.

also, I plan to do the work my self with the help of some of my buddy who have more of a clue then I do..... are there any special tools I will need to complete this?

Back