2nd gear slipping

TALYN

Donating Member
Registered
Talk about heart broken, riding home tonight on my one week old 06 with 200 miles on it, pull onto the interstate, hit the throttle, shift into second and it sounded like the whole transmission was going to come out, only in 2nd gear though. I know somewhere in the boards someone mentioned a "mysterious 2nd gear slip"
rock.gif
???  Please help... any info would be appreciated....

<!--EDIT|Jtonda
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1146810932 -->

There was a post a couple months ago about this.

Its not very common, but there has been a little bit of talk about it.

So I tested it again this AM, and even making sure I made a firm positive shift into second to make sure it was not slipping back into nuetral it is popping/slipping,clunking big time, but only in second gear.... anyone?

Take it back to the dealer pronto. Definitely not normal and warranty should cover it.

Probably not what you want to hear
sad.gif
but I think it's the best course.

The dealer just opened so I am on my way..... so bummed but these things happen.... will keep everyone posted on what they find in case this happens to anyone else....

The dealer just opened so I am on my way..... so bummed but these things happen.... will keep everyone posted on what they find in case this happens to anyone else....
Please keep us updated. i'm sure many here would be interested what they say about this. Maybe it's an 06' thing.

My second gear went out at 15k on my 02, Just got it back from a local shop. I had the gears back cut, so they cant slip and I love it very smooth shifting and very fast work. If any one is in my area looking for any work let me know I will hook you up with this guy.

i had problems with mine the day i got it 2nd gear would slip out took it to the dealer and of course it wouldnt do it for them at 2k miles i went ahead and got the works done to it will get it back anytime now

bummer. Did you get the bike from Extreme or Town and Country. Extreme will be waaaaay cooler about things. Another friend of mine had a similar problem with a new SV650 he bought from Extreme and they gave him another bike. Let me know what they say.

bummer.  Did you get the bike from Extreme or Town and Country.  Extreme will be waaaaay cooler about things.  Another friend of mine had a similar problem with a new SV650 he bought from Extreme and they gave him another bike.  Let me know what they say.
Well it seems all is good with the Busa gods today... Dagwood I got it from Desert Motorsports, they said it was only the chain and that it was loose??? I don't understand why it would have only done it in second gear, but upon leaving the dealer in my normal fashion I "gave it a whirl" so to say and the clunking was gone.... woohoo... I guess it could have been the chain skipping on the sprocket but I still would have assumed it would have done it in other gears, espescially 1st.... Oh well, I will just continue to ride it like I stole it until something else happens..... thanks for everyones input, this site and everyone on it has been very helpful....

No flame intended, but if it was just a loose chain, shame on you! Make it part of your riding routine to check before every ride: Chain tension, oil level and tire pressure. Your tires will typically lose 1 PSI per week!

Some of the 05's had 2nd gear shift fork problems. If it was the chain, yes shame on you. Check it each pre-flight inspection with all other bolts/pressures/etc..
smile.gif

Some of the 05's had 2nd gear shift fork problems. If it was the chain, yes shame on you. Check it each pre-flight inspection with all other bolts/pressures/etc..
smile.gif
I am used to riding an HD so trust me I check everything each and everytime I ride for loose nuts bolts etc... the chain seemed fine to me, I still am not 100% sold that it was the chain as it only did it in 2nd gear.... but the bottom line is it is not doing it now???

Back