3rd gear slipping, clutch problem?

Bansh

Registered
Bike runs awesome! clutch feels great 1st and 2nd gear, but when i'm on the highway just cruzing 3rd grear around 4k or 5k rpm's then just wack the throttle, no clutch no shifting; it feels like the gear is slipping, then all sudden starts to grab and bike takes off!

Is the clutch slipping? or is my 3rd gear shot? She doesn't do it all the time and when I go up and down the rpm range, she pulls hard, no slipping. Seems to only happen when I cruz for a couple mins then wack the throttle?

I can pull a wheelie 1st 2nd and 3rd gear! Bike's been punched, 1397 dynoed 188rwhp @ 116ftq
Any help?

TIA

does this only happen in 3rd gear? Have you tried the same cruise then wack the throttle open in other gears?

Yes, only in 3rd gear. and I have to cruz around 4 or 5 krpm for a minute or 2, then wack and it seems to slip.
I play around with the other gears and she pulls great, no slipping.

How many miles are on the bike? What mods do you have?

Are you sure the tire isn't spinning?

At first that's what I thought, but I'm not sure? feels like the motor is sliping, It's not fishtailing like it does when i'm in 2nd gear and wack it.
In 3rd gear around 9 or 10 rpm, if I slam throttle off then back on (no clutch) she will come up on a wheelie.

Mods;
1397 kit, air box mod, zzz chain and Driven sprockets, 18/43 (18/41,stock) +1 dog bone in the rear, stiffer springs in front.

Fairly new tires, Michelin pp2ct's maybe 500 - 800 miles on them.

My observations,

Gear, fork and or shaft: Will usually grab and release or pop out of gear. It is usually felt and some times will almost feel like the engine shuts off, refires, shuts off, refires, etc. However it will not set a FI light.This is a very common issue in Gen I Busas. It will usually start at peak torque but get worse as time goes. In early stages, a gentle throttle will allow the engine to rev fully though the gear without problem. As the dogs get more and more wear less effort is required for it to “skip”. It may feel like the chain is slipping on sprockets with missing teeth. But it will usually only happen in one gear.

Clutch slipping. Will start happening in the higher gears. As it gets worse it moves to the lower gears. It should be a smooth slip and reapply the same way. As the clutch gets hot (may only take a few seconds) it will be much worse.

Tire slip: Usually like the clutch spin but in reverse gear order. It will hook in 5th and spin in 1st. Depending on the rate of slip/spin the rear will step out (fish-tailing)

Problems with the clutch hub both two piece, one piece , and locked two piece: Will be very similar to Gear/fork/shaft but will only occur as the clutch is being released or “sliding a release” during launch. I can be violent as the suspension and rear tire loads and unloads. Rarely in the early stages will you see a problem if you ease the clutch out at a low RPM and then pin it.

Feel free to help me correct this!

My observations,

Gear, fork and or shaft: Will usually grab and release or pop out of gear. It is usually felt and some times will almost feel like the engine shuts off, refires, shuts off, refires, etc. However it will not set a FI light.This is a very common issue in Gen I Busas. It will usually start at peak torque but get worse as time goes. In early stages, a gentle throttle will allow the engine to rev fully though the gear without problem. As the dogs get more and more wear less effort is required for it to “skipâ€￾. It may feel like the chain is slipping on sprockets with missing teeth. But it will usually only happen in one gear.

Clutch slipping. Will start happening in the higher gears. As it gets worse it moves to the lower gears. It should be a smooth slip and reapply the same way. As the clutch gets hot (may only take a few seconds) it will be much worse.

Tire slip: Usually like the clutch spin but in reverse gear order. It will hook in 5th and spin in 1st. Depending on the rate of slip/spin the rear will step out (fish-tailing)

Problems with the clutch hub both two piece, one piece , and locked two piece: Will be very similar to Gear/fork/shaft but will only occur as the clutch is being released or “sliding a releaseâ€￾ during launch. I can be violent as the suspension and rear tire loads and unloads. Rarely in the early stages will you see a problem if you ease the clutch out at a low RPM and then pin it.

Feel free to help me correct this!
my 04 busa slips when i power shift into 5th,, it hits the limiter,, i let go the throttle for a second,, it engages again,,

what do you observe?

Back