2nd gear slip??

HayaLuca

Registered
I have an 05 busa with about 4500 miles on it. In 2nd gear at around 7000 rpm's there is a slip (under heavy acceleration). It feels like the tire breaks loose for a split second and then catches. Its not the tire slippping. I thought I might have lost a tooth on the sprocket but that isnt it. The chain is properly tightened and lubed. I am coming to the conclusion that it has to be in the gearbox because it only happens in 2nd gear. The suzuki dealer said they will not be able to road test it because at 7000 rpm in second gear the bike is way over the 55mph speed limit and you have to be on the gas hard. They are suggesting that I go to a dealer who has a dyno so they can get it up to the proper speed.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this strange grimlin and what it could possibly be.

Any replies are appreciated. Thanks

yes , i went through it 5000 miles ago with my 05 le . which at the time had 4500 miles , the problem is a bent shift fork/worn gear dogs . un fortunatly suzuki did not cover mine , and i was forced to have my trans taken out and shipped to florida . 1500 dollars and two months later i got it back no problems and i have almost 10000 miles on my bike ! if you short shift into second you should be able to get the skip in second to happen sooner than 7000 rpm there are other members who have had the same problem im sure they will post ! i personaly wouldnt waste the money to rebuild oem send the trans out to be undercut , no more problems ! good luck

yes , i went through it 5000 miles ago with my 05 le . which at the time had 4500 miles , the problem is a bent shift fork/worn gear dogs . un fortunatly suzuki did not cover mine  , and i was forced to have my trans taken out and shipped to florida . 1500 dollars and two months later i got it back  no problems and i have almost 10000 miles on my bike !  if you short shift into second you should be able to get the skip in second to happen sooner than 7000 rpm there are other members who have had the same problem  im sure they will post ! i personaly wouldnt waste the money to rebuild oem send the trans out  to be undercut , no more problems ! good luck
John, Did Suzuki say why they wouldnt warranty that problem?

yes they labeled it abuse ! gave me loads of sh!t about missed shift grinding gears ! i fought with them for 5 weeks the oem repair was 2200$ to undercut the gears was 1500$ so after wasting four weeks they gave me a good will offer of 400$ to be used for oem repair only,there are a couple members who got it covered under warranty but there are more than a dozen who were denied ! when you take your bike in they will look for
tire wear/ in my case it was a three in strip down the center
rubber under the tail/ none on mine ,but from doin burnouts
600 mile service record
4000mile service record
sprocket and chain condition / they said mine looked like a saw blade ?/ an indication of hard launches/tryin to wheelie , but when i went back for tires they said my sprockets were perfect chain was good too! WTF !
also any mods you have done to increase performance/you know all the sh!t you didnt buy from them or have them install
basicly anything they can use to intimadate you /fu@&in suzuki is useless !!!!!!!!!!!! they will sit on the phone with you for aS LONG AS YOU WILL TALK ,THEN TELL YOU TO SCRATCH!, nice costomer service ! good luck ,
it comes down to your relationship with the dealer . i think?
rock.gif

if you have been with them for years and have bought several bikes and use them for all your mods and servicing ? you might have a chance .
but if you just use them to purchase your first new bike and work on it yourself they sh!t on you !
the oem tranny is a POS! if the bike is a cruiser you will never have a problem! but if you have had a problem you are runnin the bike past its limits and the week link "the oem transmision" will break! so in theory if you broke it once if they repair it the same way you will break it again ? get the trans cut its for drag racing and you will never have the problem again . do a search for a post i saw i think it was titled " 9000 miles trans slips in second. again!!!!!" i think this might of been one of the oem warranty fixes? if you send the trans out to be done get a billet shaft and shift fork that with the gears should make it bullet proof !!!!!! let me know if i can help ?

WOW, why are these repairs so much, undercut gears are only $350, and its an 8 hour job. I have to say you guys are getting hosed big time.

Richard

had mine done at a dealer and the trans sent out to a speed shop in fla took a total of 63 days ! so anybody who has to send the machine work out to be done knows they will be sittin on a torn down bike for a while, the suzuki parts oem cost alot more than having your own machined , not to mention you have the same POS trans you just blew up in 5000 miles! i checked three dealers in my area two wouldnt take the job told me to come back mid sept, the third told me they would do it within 30 days ! all quoted the same price? after i dropped the bike off i found severaldrive in /out same day undercut trans places for less money , they did thier own in house machine work . so it was too late to change my mind and if you have any hope of a warranty claim you must let a suzuki shop tear down your bike my bike was a month old with 1100 miles when it first happened took it in for service they said nothing was wrong they adjusted the shifter if it happened again bring it back mid sept and we will tear it down ! so i paid a little more money got the heavy duty shaft and shift fork under cut gears all done now i 9500 miles on the bike as of tonight and the trans feels great ,hasnt skipped a beat and by somtime next year the turbo/supercharger/nitrous ? will be installed and the trans is ready for all the extra HP i can ever dream about throwin at it ! so you can say i got hosed ,i will agree but it was suzuki doin the hosin by not standin behind thier product !!!!!!! i live in new york and things tend to be a bit more here ,labor rates, so maybe i paid alittle more but not that much more ! yes its 350 to get a undercut trans , if your core is good ,if you do the labor yourself hayaluca might be able to get it done cheaper where he lives as i stated my trans went to a speed shop in fla that specializes in motorcycle drag race transmisions ! i also think that 800 to 1500 is a fair price to pay for the job . you get what you pay for . i drove my bike there and drove it home ! there was not one thing damaged on my bike not a scratch , nick,scuff, or aditional mile on my bike when i picked it up ! the billit shaft and shift fork are extra $ but were recomended so like i said 9500 miles and hasnt skipped a beat ! there was sombody who got thiers covered by suzuki at 4500 miles and at 9000 miles hes going in again! i was just fillin him in on my experience with suzuki ,lettin him know what to expect . as per suzuki "99.9% of these types of problems are related to abuse and rider error, and 99.9% of the time suzuki will not warranty trans problems ! but take it to a dealer of your choice and they will tear it down let us know what they find , if it is warranty we will pay 100% of the cost if its not you will be liable for everything from the teardown on! suzuki stands behind thier products and you are covered for 100% of mechanical defects! " it realy sucks that with a brand new 10000 bike that you have to shell out 1500 to get it fixed !!!!

SO YEAH !!!!!!!!
I GOT HOSED !!!!!!!!!!1
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SORRY FOR THE RANT ! BUT IM HAPPY MY BIKE IS WORKIN SO WELL JUST NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE !

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Well one more bit of info for you guys, unless you have a shattered gear or teeth missing, don't let any shop tell you your core is no good. The process of undercutting the gears will remove the rounded off and chipped area of the engagement teeth or dogs on your gears.

Richard

Back