possible 2nd gear issue

DaBuzaBoy

Registered
Well i think i have the dreaded 2nd gear issue...:banghead:

looking for some advise or maybe a second opinion...:angry:

took it outlast week cracked her open in 2nd and i felt it slip, i was in between lanes at the time and thought i had spun a little of the line markers.. still was in the back of my mind all week.. took her out earlier and did a couple of runs W.O.T 1st 2nd and 3rd (so much fun ) :laugh:

second definitely slips just a tad... feels more like fuel starvation then a slip..also it happens exactly at 6,000 rpm.. i did this several times... with same outcome..

thanks for any help..

I thought the second gear issue was the bike popping out of gear not slipping :dunno: Could be chain, sprockets, clutch, or a mystery issue. My Gen II acted funny one time recently but has not repeated it WOT from first to second and it felt like it fell on it's face for a second. Will be curious about this.

ive never had one just jump out of gear,,they actually feel like the chain jumping teeth,its the gears jumping past the dogs to the next slot. Like a ratcheting effect.
I thought the second gear issue was the bike popping out of gear not slipping :dunno: Could be chain, sprockets, clutch, or a mystery issue. My Gen II acted funny one time recently but has not repeated it WOT from first to second and it felt like it fell on it's face for a second. Will be curious about this.

its a 2006...

its really a split second slip... i was hoping it wasn't the tranny, i just found it strange that it slips only in second at exactly 6,000 rpm at w.o.t..

chain , sprockets, and cush all new.. checked over the adjustments and all is good..

yup..

was kinda hoping it was anything but that..:laugh:

nest question.\

Anybody know a shop in Montreal or ottawa area that can do this work..? i am cringing at the fact that i will have to do surgery on my baby...:banghead

putting her up for sale next week..

i aint one for dumping money on old bikes...

Gen 2 here i come...:thumbsup:

was waiting for an excuse...

I hear ya brother. You will not be disappointed in a new Gen II or well taken care of Gen II. I have ran the piss out of mine since 2008, have over 50K miles on her and have had no issues. Oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, brake pads, and tires. That's all I've done. I should have done other things, heck the rear brake pads are from the factory ....... changed the battery even though it was perfect. It was six years old and I was ready for the light weight lithium. What can I say.

I would be sure that it is not just clutch slippage before getting rid of the bike. If its jumping dogs on second gear I imagine it will make some bad noises. Clutch slippage is silent and its possible that you are only in the early stages of it where it only slips when you hit a strong point in the power band at WOT. I'm not saying your second gear is good or bad, but clutches are pretty cheap and are designed to wear out so its a more likely cause of slippage than a transmission defect. My 2 cents.

Well that suks, but i would hope that you disclose the problem to the potential buyer!
Good luck!

question..how do u check clutch wear?

By the manual you can measure the thickness of the plates, and look for signs of excessive heat, burnt, discoloration. The springs should also measure a certain heighth.
If it only slips in 2nd gear, it's NOT the clutch.
It would be worth fixing before you sell it, you'll get a lot more for it.
Unless someone is familiar with the problem and knows how to fix it, they're not going to want to give you much for it.
No matter of the condition of the rest of the bike too.
2nd gear went out in gen1's at any mileage and for no particular reason, and some bikes never had an issue. And regardless of how the bike was ridden or maintained.

Check the manual. The legit way to do it is with a caliper and measure the thickness of each disk. How old is the clutch and how hard are you on it?

clutch is original oem...

i am quite nice to my rides.. not abused at all.. thats why this is so up setting...

Well that suks, but i would hope that you disclose the problem to the potential buyer!
Good luck!

What he said. I would hope the new owner is told about the issue. How much can you get for a bike that needs $5-700 in part's and the cases need to be split?

i am kinda undecided.. i look at the gen 2 and say wow!!

walk in my garage and see my 2006 limited and say "" man thats sexy!!""

im trying to get a mech that can do this work and be clean about it.. i would give it a shot , but just too much that can go wrong...

shout out to anyone in montreal (qc) area that can do it or knows a top mech to do the job..:peace:

20140605_194049_resized.jpg

Back