2nd gear slipping!!???

Shmoo

Registered
Anybody ever heard of the transmission going bad on the Busa? I have an '02, PCIIIr, 10,000 miles. Rolling hard in 2nd gear, I get a sudden slip. At first, I thought my chain was loose, jumping a tooth or something. Checked chain, it's fine. I even have a new clutch (unrelated problem). Somebody mentioned that it might be due to my 2nd gear rounding off a gear tooth, and may have to replace it. Anybody have this problem, or ever fixed a tranny???

i did rebuild my trans when i had 18000 miles on it. i don't think you are rounding out a gear, it will not do that. remove your engine oil fill cap & try to smell the clutches, does it smell burned? who installed the clutchs? the fibers & the diskes of the clutch kit looks all the same, but they are diffrent sizes & each one has it's own place. my trans had the problem in 2nd & 3rd gear. i took the engine out & i've found i bent the shift fork. need more info from you!!!!

Funny you ask. My clutches WERE slipping. They were the original stock ones, and I replaced them myself, as per the service manual. Clutch is good now, doesn't slip anymore. But, I still get the slip/jerk in 2nd gear rollon. Where is the shiftfork, and is that something I can replace myself??

you can not replace the shift fork by your self, you have to pull the engine out & split the lower case of the block to rich the transmission. did you stack the new clutches like the service manaul says? cause there is diffrent thickness on steel & the plates. they have to be at the same place. i think you have to pull that engine cover again & check if you burned the clutches. did you put the clutches in an oil for almost a day before you install them? it is really important to do that. pull the engine cover & check if the clutches are fine.

Yea, I have the clutches in the right thickness and sequences. I also applied oil to each clutch and spacer before putting them in. I'm also using semi-synthetic. I have a feeling it is probably the shifter fork. I've had a few other's mention that as a possibility also. Have you replaced a shifter fork?

yes i did. but i am a tech & i rebuild engines & transmissions all day long for living on cars. it was my first time i pull a bike trans out & it wasn't too bad. take it to a place that they know what they are doing, cause they have to take the bike apart to pull the engine out, it is alot of work, you need to make sure that every thing is in the right place & NO EXTRA BOLTS, i see that alot. if you where here in CO i would done it for you. each shift fork is around 150.00$. you might need some gears & washers, you also need gaskets & fluids. parts it might cost you around 700.00$ .

Back