Please describe 2nd gear going out

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
That is what I think I am experiencing. Only in 2nd gear, the bike skips around as if the chain is slipping off the sprocket. But that is not happening. When rev out the gears, 2nd gear almost always slips out and I 'miss the shift'

How expensive is this to replace? This really takes fun out of riding! 2nd gear pulls are too sweet!

You pretty much are saying what it will do..

Could be a shift fork or bad gear itself..

Price depending on How handy you are or Who you know??..having the tranny undercut is aprox $250 to $400 and a second gear aprox $65 added to that price..

R&D is one of the best but takes like 4-6 weeks then theres Fast By gas,Orient Express,Glenn Allen at Carolina Cycles and a few others who have them in stock..depending on how bad Your tranny is??

I would recommend getting the billet shift shafts (from Schnitz)aprox $65 and all new OEM shift forks,get the shift drum check also along with the undercut..I'm actually doing a buddies as We speak,and Got the tranny threw Glenn (Gwizz)Allen on psychobike (tell Him I sent ya)..

If you can take the Motor out it will be cheaper..Im going to Guess around $1200-1500 if ya cant..

if you do all that it will be pretty much bulletprof!!

Mine is doing the same thing. Labor is about $1500 if you have the shop R/R the engine. Something to consider. I am doing a big bore kit and cams while the engine is out. Total bill will be ~$4000 but I will have 185-195 whp NA. The tranny will be undercut as well.

Don

You will need more than just 2nd gear.

You will also need the mating gear, 6th. Good idea to replace all three shift forks and the shift drum also.

I just went through the same thing in September.

No better time to add some HP with the motor apart....

What the heck...I always thought the Busa tranny was a tad on the clunky side built for strength to handle the massive torque of the bike. Now I find many of you are spending serious money (and downtime, niether of which I have right now)  just to make it "right".

You would think after a decade they would be getting the details right...oh that's right...we don't update the Busa (even thought it outsells probably everything else in the Suzuki line up) let's just update the friggin 1000, 750, and 600 every friggin two years.  
rant.gif

I love the Busa but if I find out I gotta dump a couple grand into the tranny
pissed.gif
...it's going in for a trade.

I was told the 2nd and 6th are not undercut from the factory because those are the 2 gears that are used for EPA testing and the rpms where the testing is done would make it real chunky.

As far as trading her in, she is paid for and I have a lot of $$ tied up in current mods. It is worth it to me to fix the tranny do some engine mods and have the bike right and still have no payments.

Don

(Justyntym @ Apr. 13 2007,10:06) What the heck...I always thought the Busa tranny was a tad on the clunky side built for strength to handle the massive torque of the bike. Now I find many of you are spending serious money (and downtime, niether of which I have right now)  just to make it "right".

You would think after a decade they would be getting the details right...oh that's right...we don't update the Busa (even thought it outsells probably everything else in the Suzuki line up) let's just update the friggin 1000, 750, and 600 every friggin two years.  
rant.gif

I love the Busa but if I find out I gotta dump a couple grand into the tranny  
pissed.gif
...it's going in for a trade.
My bike is a 1999 with about 22k on the clock when the 2nd gear issue started.

Now a bit more info.

I do not use my bike to commute on at all. It is trailered to the playground, rode hard, powershifted on every shift at the track/Gap.

To me getting that kind of mileage out of a bike is outstanding.

2nd and 6th are undercut from the factory, but they do need a bit more angle put on them to make them last longer.

Suzuki trannys are the most reliable on the market, especially when you add lots of powwer and tq.

Join the club.

I finally found the guy that I will let fix mine. But I will take advantage of this downtime to make her move a wee bit faster!!

(vman1300 @ Apr. 13 2007,00:43) You will need more than just 2nd gear.

You will also need the mating gear, 6th. Good idea to replace all three shift forks and the shift drum also.

I just went through the same thing in September.

No better time to add some HP with the motor apart....
I know ONLY if I had money to
sad.gif

(E-RACER @ Apr. 12 2007,20:05) You pretty much are saying what it will do..

Could be a shift fork or bad gear itself..

Price depending on How handy you are or Who you know??..having the tranny undercut is aprox $250 to $400 and a second gear aprox $65 added to that price..

R&D is one of the best but takes like 4-6 weeks then theres Fast By gas,Orient Express,Glenn Allen at Carolina Cycles and a few others who have them in stock..depending on how bad Your tranny is??

I would recommend getting the billet shift shafts (from Schnitz)aprox $65 and all new OEM shift forks,get the shift drum check also along with the undercut..I'm actually doing a buddies as We speak,and Got the tranny threw Glenn (Gwizz)Allen on psychobike (tell Him I sent ya)..

If you can take the Motor out it will be cheaper..Im going to Guess around $1200-1500 if ya cant..

if you do all that it will be pretty much bulletprof!!
Thanks I saved your post for guidance/reference.

Back