Rebuilding Trans

swimmer7946

Registered
I'm in the process of installing a new 2nd gear and/or shift fork....I felt it jumping out a little and before it turns into a lot I'm gettin her fixed. I have removed everthing necessary to drop the motor ie exhaust, throttle bodies, radiator etc....I've never tackled anything like this before so Im going slow, readingthe book, and taking pics.....can anybody short cut me on this? I'm gettin ready to order parts and I was hoping somebody had the proper part numbers for the Gaskets needed and what the part numbers of 2nd gear and the relatining shift fork are???

From what I have heard, you may still have the same problem with another OEM gear.
The gears should be undercut so as to stop them from slipping.

Attachments

• dogs.bmp
    53.2 KB · Views: 572
  • Dog 1.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 739
  • dog2.bmp
    572.8 KB · Views: 593
I'm in the process of installing a new 2nd gear and/or shift fork....I felt it jumping out a little and before it turns into a lot I'm gettin her fixed. I have removed everthing necessary to drop the motor ie exhaust, throttle bodies, radiator etc....I've never tackled anything like this before so Im going slow, readingthe book, and taking pics.....can anybody short cut me on this? I'm gettin ready to order parts and I was hoping somebody had the proper part numbers for the Gaskets needed and what the part numbers of 2nd gear and the relatining shift fork are???

I just finished that not too bad if you get stuck or need a hand I am not to far. Sorry no part numbers my local shop had it all in stock.

so can under cutting gears be done at home with a dremmel?

best to be done by a machine shop...like FAst by Gast or others with a good reputation.

I just got mine back together from this. I ordered a lower gasket set..has all you need for this job. I only used the starter gasket as the rest of mine were still good.

Get some Motoseal, Yamabond, Suzukibond,..either one (they are the same) for sealing up the cases.

Read the install portion as well for any o-rings, or nuts that you may have to replace...I reused all mine...they were still good.

Make sure you put the case bolt that goes under the crank balancer back in:whistle:

Bag and tag all parts seperatly

do you have the notched sockets for the thrust nut? You will need those to remove the engine mounts.

either buy a set or see if someone close to you has a set you can use

best to be done by a machine shop...like FAst by Gast or others with a good reputation.

I just got mine back together from this. I ordered a lower gasket set..has all you need for this job. I only used the starter gasket as the rest of mine were still good.

Get some Motoseal, Yamabond, Suzukibond,..either one (they are the same) for sealing up the cases.

Read the install portion as well for any o-rings, or nuts that you may have to replace...I reused all mine...they were still good.

Make sure you put the case bolt that goes under the crank balancer back in:whistle:

Bag and tag all parts seperatly
And what bolt would you be speaking of! LOL

I just received 2nd & 6th gear brand new from Bill Robinson. $225 for both undercut and TMD.

Robinson Industries shoot him an email.. I think it's only $60 to send him your gears and have him undercut and send back.

I'm about to conquor this same task..

when ever i get to doing my gears imma try to do the undercutting myself, only have a few hundred to loose, and how ever it turns out imma post

from pictures that ive seen of the actual dogs ive seen it really cant be that hard, just make sure i clean them good and stuff, lol all i need is pictures and im good its right here in the :rulez:

from pictures that ive seen of the actual dogs ive seen it really cant be that hard, just make sure i clean them good and stuff, lol all i need is pictures and im good its right here in the :rulez:

You are making a HUGE mistake, and are about to turn your transmission into junk. You cannot undercut your gears "at home". Once undercut, the "dogs" have to all contact each other at the same time - it is a precise machine cut that is done on professional equipment. Take your sixth and second gear off the output shaft and send them to Bill Robinson. Let him do it right.

You are making a HUGE mistake, and are about to turn your transmission into junk. You cannot undercut your gears "at home". Once undercut, the "dogs" have to all contact each other at the same time - it is a precise machine cut that is done on professional equipment. Take your sixth and second gear off the output shaft and send them to Bill Robinson. Let him do it right.

I agree, if your gears are worn down more than a couple of millimeters bill robinson cannot undercut them for $50. If you mess up, you might risk tearing up your other gears in your transmission, and then be out more than a couple hundred. $50-60 for 2nd & 6th undercut is an AWSOME price.. considering the alternative.

If your gears are not horrible right now just send them in for $50 and let a professional do them. it's only a couple hundred if you have to buy new gears.

Last edited:
I have an article that will be up in a few weeks dragbike.com all about transmissions in the Hayabusa and everything you need to know about them. As a heads up R-D Motorsports R&D Motorsports - Home is a company you also should look at if you need work on your transmission. Mark has been building transmissions on motorcycles for 20 years and was the first to work with Brock Davidison in getting a stock transmission in the 7 second 1/4 mile.

Where can I get a Manual for pulling my transmission. I also have 2nd gear slipping and will need to get this done asap. Any Material you guys may have on pulling the transmission out of the motor would be great.

Back