2nd Gear question

mattrat

Registered
Since I'm probably going back in and opening the cases to get rid of this knock, I wanted to ask - I have read a few comments about a commonly known problem with 2nd gear - I searched but way too many results. Is this a problem in the '03s? what are the symptoms, what is the solution, what is involved?

It involves all Gen I bikes '99-'07, the solution is an undercut second gear, typically the bike will pop out of second gear under heavy load / acceleration. Some guys beef things up while they're in there especially if they have beefed up the motor and drag weekly. Heavier output shaft, etc. For a stock motor, just fix what's broke and have second gear undercut.

Never done it so you reached the limits of my expertise. That didn't take long did it :laugh:

When your in that deep, its worth your time to spend the extra $$ for the billet shift shafts if nothing else - and you should replace the forks as well, just to be safe. The HD output shaft is nice if your gonna drag it hard with more HP.... i wish i could have afforded to pull the crank and send it off for a good balance but was a little broke at the time :(

symptoms-hard jerking under acceleration in second gear. almost like the chain is skipping teeth. poping out of second gear. only gets worse with time

solution-under cutting the dogs on 2nd and 6th w/ new fork

removing the engine.trans. splitting the cases and replacing the parts

def go ahead and under cut 2nd and 6th if its already apart. get a new fork also. its def a problem with the gen 1 bikes i just had to have mine done.

hipe that helps

Back