2ND gear issue....I need the real scoop

THE MENACE

Registered
Howdy all,

I have not posted here in a while, mainly because I have been riding my two hyperbikes...the busa and the tw200 LOL :laugh:

Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!

Question...I have had a few instances of "catching" or momentary "slipping" near the very top end of 2nd gear. Each time I was close to the limiter, but something made me feel like it had slipped or caught before the limiter. I have only seen this done in 2nd gear. Clutch does not slip, it passed the 45 mph in 6th gear open throttle test.

From my research on here, it seems to be the 2nd gear problem.

Here is my question:

Being that this only happens at WOT in 2nd, how long can I ride on this? I know I will have to stop beating on it in 2nd gear for sure.

Also, in your guys' opinion, what is the best way to reliably fix this issue? I have a decent set of tools, and reasonable mechanical experience. What is the most cost effective way to fix this?

Looking forward to reading your responses,

Best Regards,

-THE MENACE

Does it feel like it pops in and out?

Drop the engine flip it over...pull trans and send to shop...have it machined and reinstall is a correct fix if that is in fact the the problem

Howdy all,

I have not posted here in a while, mainly because I have been riding my two hyperbikes...the busa and the tw200 LOL :laugh:

Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!

Question...I have had a few instances of "catching" or momentary "slipping" near the very top end of 2nd gear. Each time I was close to the limiter, but something made me feel like it had slipped or caught before the limiter. I have only seen this done in 2nd gear. Clutch does not slip, it passed the 45 mph in 6th gear open throttle test.

From my research on here, it seems to be the 2nd gear problem.

Here is my question:

Being that this only happens at WOT in 2nd, how long can I ride on this? I know I will have to stop beating on it in 2nd gear for sure.

Also, in your guys' opinion, what is the best way to reliably fix this issue? I have a decent set of tools, and reasonable mechanical experience. What is the most cost effective way to fix this?

Looking forward to reading your responses,

Best Regards,

-THE MENACE

Mine started at around 7,000 miles on my '03(would slip out around 7,000 rpms)and rode it until about 16,000 miles before I got around to dealing with it.I'd either shift out of 2nd gear around 5-6,000 rpms and sometimes just bypass 2nd gear altogether.Rather than fool with it(went turbo,etc.)I went with a trans. from Carolina Cycles.

I did the same thing with mine, not an issue since. Other than I can't start it now. ( electrical gremlin I guess) :goodidea:

If you have spare parts, it can be done in a day!

The Gen 1s do not have undercut trannys. As it has been said, split the cases pull the tranny and have it undercut. Great time to check bearings, rods etc. Good Luck...

In your guys' opinion, is this something I could ride on for a while? So long as I dont keep globbing on the throttle in 2nd :)

-THE MENACE

Thread resurrection for want of possible clutch problem. What is this 45mph 6th gear WOT test? Just like it sounds? Go 45 in 6th and nail it in 6th and see if motor tachs without much power transmitted?

Who if anyone will fix second gear for me. I'm disabled now and can't lift or strain or barely anything but ride. I mean bring you the bike and you do the work and me come and pick it up. I'm sure there are many that will just need to get together with them. Thanks!

Back