New here first post with questions

icrman

Registered
Okay its a 2006 Hayabusa, with the 2nd gear problem. Not mine. I'm the wrench twister. On other sites I read that its a total tear down to do the transmission. Yeah if there is an issue with debris maybe. But from all my studying I can not see why that is necessary to remove the transmission gear sets. Since all the pinning and locking transmission bearings and gear set locating is in the upper case. So has anyone had this done or done it themselves? Also does anyone know what the latest prices are on a total engine/transmission rebuild at the dealer, and for just the 2nd gear fix as well.
And last question other than a special spanner socket for the uppper engine mount are there any real special tools that are needed that can't be quicky fabricated?

Thanks all ahead of time.

You have to split the cases to get at the gears, check the shift forks for wear and the shafts they ride to see if they are bent. Check the edges of second for damage :whistle:

Last edited:
Thank you, Split cases I knew, I've done some bike stuff in the past. Wanted to know about leaving the engine alone and just splitting the case.

If that is the guy on you tube, I have seen some of them. Yeah funny stuff. He shows you how not to do it. :laugh:

Can't help you with the wrenching, but...

:welcome: to the .oRg. I'm confident you'll find what you need here. :beerchug:

If that is the guy on you tube, I have seen some of them. Yeah funny stuff. He shows you how not to do it. :laugh:

Yeah I wouldn't do it like he does, but it does give you an idea of how it all comes apart (and may be how it goes together?)

You can split the cases with out removing the block.

I can't think of any special tools I used.

Likely you'll need a fork, at least one shaft, at least one(and possibly two) gears if they are beat bad . I recommend sending the transmisson to be back cut. There are a few doing exchange transmissions. There are some aftermarket shafts. The drum will need to be looked at very close as well.

Looks like I may not get the project now. Kinda disapointed, but my work space is limited.
Gosh I want to get my own Busa now.

this scares me....what are people doin to their bikes that 2nd gear fails so "commonly?"
Posted via Mobile Device

Back