Pros and cons Busa vs. R1

E_NUFF_4

Registered
Just a quick question, the new R1's do they get spanked by a busa still with the new design? Just thinking ahead because assumeing if they dont upgrade the hayabusa it may be allmost worth getting the R1 for the sexy look. Kinda a last second thought, going to get my money ready in the moring and see if the local dealer can sell me the LE busa for 9,800 out the door. Im 90% sure i want a busa, just want to get to 100 again
smile.gif
. My main reason for wanting a busa is for the "fastest" bragging rights of corse, ane to be different than everyone who buys a bike for looks. ill be online all tonight to reply, later =)

get the bike you want... don't do it cuz you can brag.... bragging leads to proving your fast and then that leads to... well you get the point...

point is... buy the bike YOU want.

Depends on you motive...if your only motive is owning the fastest mofo on the market it's simple Busa. If your motive is owning the fastest & most comfortable on the market....let's see uhm Busa. If you want the fastest, most comfortable & distinguishable bike on the market...that's a hard one uhm yeah Busa. However if you're looking for quickness and lightening fast corning in twisties ya might want to look at the 04 R1, G1K, CBR1000RR or zx10.

Seriously the 1k bikes are coming on strong as Hercules, but as many have stated for all around speed, comfort & handling you cannot go wrong with the Busa. Hands down rider for rider & mod for mod the Busa is still top Dawg. (ie the NICKSLICK.COM video wasn't comparing viper bed pans against stock R1s or zx10s huh..probably because if they could reach 170mph they'd be so unstable it would be unsafe for all involved.)

SUM IT UP CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THE BUSA!!

yep....get the bike YOU want.

If you're getting the busa for "fastest bragging rights", you may end up hurtin yourself, others or both.

you buy what you want to look at and ride, however the R1 has changed almost 4 times over in design, specs, and other flaws that have been proven year in and out, they keep having to change or fix their errors, the only thing changed on a busa is the paint....and from 01-02 1cc(1298-1299) and that was an accident..
maybe a new design, or different look next year or
5 years of being the best.....um let me think

Buy what you like though you have to ride it.

Yeah you guys are right, i shouldnt just buy the busa to boost my mojo. Ill just buy one of each that solves this!
Im calling the local dealer in the morning, saying 9800 and im coming in with a check. Go to the bank and after work i can go get er .
smile.gif
work, oh yeah i work 8-5 i guess ill be on the phone hideing from customers
super.gif

Get what suits you, and you are coming to a busa board so the busa vs R1 thing is a little one sided.
wink.gif

I own both a Busa (2000) and an R1 (2003). If you ride mainly on the road, get the Busa, if you ride mainly on the track, get the R1.
smile.gif

Both are great bikes, but the R1 is no match for the Busa on the road when it comes to speed, general handling and comfort. So few public roads give the R1 the advantage it needs over the Busa. IMO.

Good luck with the purchase and be safe. The Busa can get you in a whole lot of trouble very quickly. Take it easy and let the mojo work itself.
biggrin.gif

The New litre bikes are sh!t Hot, no arguing about it.  The ZX10, the R1 or even Suzuki's own GSXR 1000, VERY well ridden will more than likely be in front of you in most circumstances accept from a dead stop or once above a 150.  From a dead stop I think the Busa will prolly pull a 4-5 bike length lead and hold it for any reasonable amount of time.  Also once past about 150 or so, the Busa will likely start to come around the others...  But how often does this come up?

I KNow I know folks, it's freakin Blasphamy but pay special attention to the term VERY Well Ridden...  This is key.  Put two identical riders one on the Busa one on a ZX10, R1, or GSXR1K.  Tell em' when the light turns green hammer it up to 150...  The Dude on the Busa is more than likely going to own the rest, despite the better power to weight ratio of the Litre bikes, why?  Simple...  Bikes made to be roadrace kings are ill suited for the drags, short wheel bases and serious light weight means getting on the power is an excercise in throttle control, where on the Busa, by and large the rider can get to full throttle sooner, and keep it there for the duration... However, put the matched riders on a road course, and things are different, matched riders, the modern litre bikes are going to say goodbye to the Busa...

Put all five Bikes on a closed circuit, with lots of twisties and esses and guess what, all riders being equal the Busa is going to fall behind, it's just not designed for racing on a road course. Can it be made to handle and perform like the others? You bet, NICKSLICK is a prime example, but it really isn't the Busa's forte'.

The Busa is about being a Badass street bike, an absolute demon on the throttle, capable of handling any road you throw it's way at a High rate of speed, all the while giving the rider a comfy, relaxed, street biased ride that no other manufacterer can match.

Now, Lets head to Miami on a busa and one each of all the new Litre bikes...  Guess who is enjoying the ride the most?  Busa rider hands down, Freakin High Speed Super Sofa....   Busa rider hit's Miami and they're ready to continue on to the Keys, the others... Not Bloody Likely, I mean they can do it, but it is going to hurt... Now to be fair a good number of the Sub-6' club would prolly be just fine on a New Litre Bike, but will still not have the comfort level of the Busa pilot.

So, if you want the Biggest, Fastest, most comfortable, best handling open class streetbike on the road, Get a Busa.  You want the fastest, baddest assed track tool yet produced?  Sounds like a ZX10R, GSXR1000 or the R1.  

My personal recommendation, what I would do?  Is buy a Busa, Then in a year or so Find a nice 04 R1 used.  That way you get the best of both worlds, until your ready for a cruiser... You know when you get all old, wore out and forget all of your ridding skills...  But this is assuming your under 6' tall...  My problem with the R1 is lack of space, the thing is just too tight for me... Otherwise...  Who knows...

One last thought, The Busa is more than the sum of it's parts, it's everything you've ever read about it and more.  Huge power anywhere, anytime, excellent handling, super stability, attracts a lot of attention (Especially the Black), it has never failed to put a smile on my face, and it has character.  Thats right, I said character.  Just enough of an edge here and there to remind you why you wanted a motorcycle, none of the typical "Sanitary, sterile, emotionless Jap Bike Feel" here, this one will talk to you.  From the Whump and Boom of the Intake, to the vibes from that motor sitting at a lite tickling your mirrors or the Rumpty Rumpty wandering Idle, it just has more to it than whats on paper...  IMHO anyway...  

Bottom line, get what you want, not what anyone else tells you to get, go to the dealership, sit on the Bikes for about 20 minutes each, really get a feel for how they feel, then decide...

One last thing, do not discount the modern 600cc sportbikes either, serious fun, serious speed, easy to handle, cheep to insure, light weight, they don't eat tires, they sip gas, and all around are less intimidating enough that there is a chance you will really be able to explore their limits long before you start exploring a Litre bikes, or the Busa's...  FWIW

I did this same questioning before I bought my Busa a few months back. What changed my mind more than anyone here is was just sitting on the bikes for more than 5 minutes. I have two bad wrists... the right one is messed up because of an improperly healed "boxer's fracture" and the left one is a little messed up because of crashing my old VX800. They really start to hurt when I'm in anything other than a straight up position after a while -- however, I do notice that I can get a 2+ hour ride out of the Busa before the pain makes me stop whereas sitting on a "pure" track bike like the new liter monsters hurts after just a few minutes. That's another plus for the Busa over the ZX12R -- while the lower body might feel a little better on the Kawi, my wrists don't like it even a little bit.

Back