Commuting Pros and Cons??

Commuting really comes down to how much do you enjoy riding ????....for me, I can't think of a way I'd rather travel to work Winter, Summer, Spring, or Fall. Dress for the season, and the rest comes easy. It's not for everybody, but when I'm splitting the lanes in the parking garage, getting out faster, it makes a difference to me.

First pair of words: "Tank Bag" for the hair spray, deodorant, brush, medical necessities, cell phone, cologne, alternate visor (clear vs colored), vitamin water, rotor lock, purse, etc......I carry a bathroom in one of my tank bags, it's easy when the "house" washes your uniforms for you.

Second pair of words: "I'm invisible" in relation to every SUV driver with a cell phone to the left ear (You're not there), the "b" column also helps make you not there. In being invisible, it is impossible to cop an attitude and get into a grudge match with a 4,000lb rolling vehicle.

Third pair of words: "Wear gear" that means throwing the high heels in your tank bag, and donning a pair of ankle high riding boots with a rubber sole. A jacket that protects you comes in leather, D-Dry, goretex, nylon, or mesh these days. A decent pair of protective gloves that allow you control in a variety of materials helps. Wear gear you can feel visible in, even if you are invisible, know-what-I-mean ????

Case in point, it's 2am, it's 28 degrees in Las Vegas, I just got off work, I pull on the thermal one-piece, got my boots, and start the tunes, and pull the helmet on to the motor warming up. The needle climbs slower when it's chilly out. I'm out the parking garage and have twenty minutes commute by freeway around Vegas. There's an accident because some dude in a Vette over-shot the Rainbow curve, and smacked someone else in the process. Both lanes are stopped and we're going nowhere. It was a thirty minute wait while NHP gets a lane open for us to funnel past. I pop the visor to the third notch so I don't fog up, and listen to Nickelback while I check the clock on the Busa occasionally. No big deal, toes aren't cold, and I'm actually starting to sweat just a wee bit in the suit. Who's worse off ???, probably the guy in the back of the ambulance, I'm thirty minutes late but not frozen when I pull into my garage.

Fourth pair of words: "Rain gear" never hurts on those unsuspected wet days. Buy a cheap pair of upper/lowers that you can shove in the hump. I like the idea that even if it dumps, the Spud is enjoying the ride, listening to tunes waiting for this traffic jam to start moving. Okay, so I have a bit of cleanup to do. Besides, wet days are great teachers in throttle/brake control. The word "moderation" comes to mind.... :oldcool:

Fifth pair of words: "Bike maintenance" is like taking a shower daily, practicing good hygiene. How are my brakes, when was the last time I cleaned/greased/checked my chain, where are the wear bars on my tires, is it time for an oil change ????....are all terrific questions.

Sixth pair of words: "Pay attention" to everything. Freeway, neighborhood, city, rural, light traffic, heavy traffic, nothing teaches you how to command your weapon of choice like daily riding. Day in, day out you get better every time you make it home safe, you cover her up, and call it a day. When I ride I'm watching everybody, in the garage, or out on the road. I watch, anticipate, adjust all without thinking that much anymore. When your body instinctively follows your eyes on a motorcycle you are definitely in synch with the machine. You feel the road, and adjust for the conditions.......

As for riding daily I'll offer one more thing. Always warm the motor, at least until that needle is on the rise. If it's coming up, that means you're within arm's reach of full operating temperature. The clutch is a little smoother, the throttle response is a little more predictable, and it never hurts to feel that warmth coming through the tank on a cold morning when you squeeze your knees.... :super:

Some are riders, and some are "Riders"......just ask the nut-jobs up around Reno...they're always riding and posting. Me thinks, Jim, and Doyle, and the rest have one up on the Geezer's Gone Wild Crew..... :super: The "just love to ride the Hayabusa". :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I commute by bike unless the weather is really bad, then I have a car as a backup. Down side is riding in heavy traffic. Once you get used to that, the manuverability of the bike in traffic is priceless.

I just find myself gazing out the windows at work and getting a little jealous when I see the bikes parked at work. LOL.

However I also enjoy the ride home in the rain MUCH more when in the car.

I am a daily commuter that right there is the only down side. I love to ride everyday plus it's all I got so I have no choice:laugh: I had a little 4 cylinder car before if I still had it I would be using that instead. Fuel usage was about the same.

Commuter riding is fun and a challenge and has it's hazards.

Only one real pro, but it's a biggie: You get to ride more.

Cons: Increased risk, especially if you're not comfortable with commuter traffic. Increased theft risk unless you have a VERY safe spot to park the bike. Changing clothes upon arrival and departure. Unexpected rain. Riding tired, either from being "not quite awake" in the morning or from being sapped by the days work - if you're tired, you're also not operating at peak performance which can put you at risk on the road. "Rush riding" - riding in a rush often causes us to take risks and make mistakes that we wouldn't if we weren't rushed.

As far as riding to save money, well, IMHO, that only works out if you're only vehicle is a bike and/or you have a commute long enough that the savings in gas cost is great enough that you makeup for the cost/upkeep of two vehicles.

I ride to work if a) there's not precip in the forecast, b) I got plenty of sleep/am fully rested and c) have the time (an extra 5-10 mins) to gear up properly.

Bottom line: There's really only ever been a single VALID reason to ride - because you want to. :thumbsup:

Great info everyone! Much appreciated! I will start out slow and see how I like it. Maybe just a few days a week. Keep ya posted!

Oh, go all out hard core...as a matter of fact, take your seat off and sit on a board. That way after your but hurts the first few days you can put your seat back on and think it's nothing. :laugh:

Just messin with ya. Good luck on your commute, you will enjoy it I'm sure. Probably pretty muggy in FL right now, so the loops and stop lights will be your biggest con. Get on 95 or bypass and feel the breeze, hope your commute takes you partial interstate or back roads anyway. That city FL heat would be killer sitting in it right now. (Especially in that heavy jacket :rofl:)

I commute nearly ever day. I love it.

The biggest downside: No place to take a nap at lunch. :whistle:

Take the plunge, be careful. I wear my office clothes under my gear, Keep shoes at the office. Keep my leather soaked in "Camp Dry". Hair short enough to fight helmet hair. ...Can't help you with that one. Don't tailgate & be seen. Don't stop tight behind traffic. Watch out for the intersections, and have fun. I hate it when I need to take a cage in Jan/Feb. If you want to get it done, look for opportunities to ride, not excuses not to (you can always find one).

Last edited:
I ride to work every chance I get. 84 mile round trip. max $30 a week on the busa, $85 per week in the Navigator. I say if you're comfortable with the traffic and wearing the gear then DO IT!!!!!. I enjoy the morning ride and no matter how hectic the day was the ride home makes everything better.
I wear my office clothes under the gear and keep an extra set in the desk for any important meetings that require a more professional look. (you know tie etc...)
Do what works for you and is in your comfort zone.

I commute 120 miles a day in So Cal and love it. Not having the stress that comes along with commuting in a car is more than worth any Con.

Oh, go all out hard core...as a matter of fact, take your seat off and sit on a board. That way after your but hurts the first few days you can put your seat back on and think it's nothing. :laugh:

Just messin with ya. Good luck on your commute, you will enjoy it I'm sure. Probably pretty muggy in FL right now, so the loops and stop lights will be your biggest con. Get on 95 or bypass and feel the breeze, hope your commute takes you partial interstate or back roads anyway. That city FL heat would be killer sitting in it right now. (Especially in that heavy jacket :rofl:)

Yea Yea. always the instigator...:poke:

Commuting in Orlando is a death sentence... They drivers and roads around there are horrid. :whistle:

That is what I worry about the most. In the AM I would be ok since I am out the door by 5:30am but coming home in the afternoon traffic is what I worry about. Interstate is bumper to bumper the whole way home so I would have to find an alt route thru town.

Here in Cali we split lanes and it is "tolerated" I would not try it there, the blue hairs would kill you out of spite.

Surface streets present there own fun during commute, often involving the "Projects" and the white T-shirt gangs. If that picture as your avatar is actually you... well you will have real fun in the "Projects"

Do not get me wrong, commuting on a bike is great, just know your area. The streets there flood at the least rain, were talking over the curb flooded, and the shell pavement is slicker than I like on a dry day.

No, I do not live in FL now. I did for many years. I rode with some of the board members a couple of years ago and had a good ride. Rode one members Busa, ground off her chicken strips too, and then rode anothers RC51 the next time.

Yea Yea. always the instigator...:poke:

I'm the backupinator~!~ :laugh:

Oh you a couple I kids ... :whistle:

Hope it works out for you though, try it and see how you like it. Something I ran into riding to work is the big temp change between going in and getting off. Sometimes have to take an extra sweat shirt or leave a drawer with some extra clothes at work.

I wouldn't mind at all getting wet coming home, but I'd have to change after getting to work a few times after getting caught in a storm.

Around Seattle I would use the carpool lanes when commuting on the bikes. It's faster and safer than riding on the streets through town. It's not without risk. I have had angry drivers pull out into the carpool lane a few feet (70-100) in front of me going 20 MPH while the carpool lane was flowing at 60 MPH. I have passed cages more than once on the left shoulder because of that. Keep you eyes open all the time. The only riders that I have seen get hurt on the freeway were just too complacent and a car merged into them. Never ride in the blind spots. I try not to ride directly beside any cages. I move ahead or behind the car in the lane beside me. If they decide to change lanes I am not in their way. Most drivers don't look past their windshield.

As it was mentioned before, wear highly visible clothes. Colors that hurt the eyes to look at. You will be seen long before they can hear you. Get a headlight modulator for your low-beam. It will get the drivers attention much faster that an HID or highbeam. I won't ride in traffic without one. I know it has saved me many times.

Here is my nephew modeling my Olympia Phantom suit. I wear it over my work clothes for commuting. Other drivers would have to be legally blind or worse not to see it, but some still miss me.

OlympicPhantom.JPG

My commute is 101.5 miles In the season I ride everyday that is possible. The downside is maintenance cost for the bike

If you are going to use the bike for commuting, you'll definatey want to swap out to sport touring tires. Avon Storm is my preference.

Around Seattle I would use the carpool lanes when commuting on the bikes. It's faster and safer than riding on the streets through town. It's not without risk. I have had angry drivers pull out into the carpool lane a few feet (70-100) in front of me going 20 MPH while the carpool lane was flowing at 60 MPH. I have passed cages more than once on the left shoulder because of that. Keep you eyes open all the time. The only riders that I have seen get hurt on the freeway were just too complacent and a car merged into them. Never ride in the blind spots. I try not to ride directly beside any cages. I move ahead or behind the car in the lane beside me. If they decide to change lanes I am not in their way. Most drivers don't look past their windshield.

As it was mentioned before, wear highly visible clothes. Colors that hurt the eyes to look at. You will be seen long before they can hear you. Get a headlight modulator for your low-beam. It will get the drivers attention much faster that an HID or highbeam. I won't ride in traffic without one. I know it has saved me many times.

Here is my nephew modeling my Olympia Phantom suit. I wear it over my work clothes for commuting. Other drivers would have to be legally blind or worse not to see it, but some still miss me.
Dang dude you burned out a section of my monitor!:rofl:

Back