Commuting Pros and Cons??

Laylas_Mom

Registered
Ok. I am considering becoming of the daily commuters. What are the pros and the cons?

I want to save some money on gas and would like to have an excuse to ride everyday! LOL

Can you guys give me some pros and cons? Like cost savings of less fuel vs increased cost of maintainance type stuff... thanks!:beerchug:

I commute every chance I get. Of course we dont have florida weather all the time so its not every day..but almost.

IN fact, I am sitting at work now.

Heres one for you.

By riding my Bike to work. ( 92 mile round trip ) I figure my Bike is free as long as I ride it, In one month, The cost of Fuel, The Bike Payment and Insurance does not cost as much as what I would be spending in Fuel alone if I drove my truck.

You still seem to put just as many miles on your other vehicles, LoL

When I rode mine to work a while back (different bike) I put 14,000 miles on the bike in just the Summer months of one year and it rained most of those trips.

I'm all for it, can't beat having an excuse to pull it out everyday. Sometimes it does take a little away from the "special" ride though.

I just find myself gazing out the windows at work and getting a little jealous when I see the bikes parked at work. LOL.

However I also enjoy the ride home in the rain MUCH more when in the car.

Ride it because you want to and don't try to justify it. Tires,oil changes, keepin it clean, RAIN. I ride mine all I can to work to save fuel but probably aint savin much when you consider how much tires cost. I've come to realize that Im mainly riding it because I like to. This don't help much does it. Have a nice day.:thumbsup:

I think I'm lucky that I have a half hour commute, putting the gear on twice a day to go 5 min would be a pain prolly.

+ keep your skills tuned
+ Its riding :laugh:
+ gas
+ outdoors.
- Occasional rain - NBD unless you melt.

If I didn't have a company car and didn't have to wear slacks and nice clothing to wprk I would ride tha hell outta mine to work every chance I got. :thumbsup:

I commuted every day on my bike for over two years.

Compared to my truck it paid for itself in fuel savings. My truck gets 20 MPG vs. 40 with the bike.

I put $10 away a week for tires. Chains last a year for me, but was covered by the $10 a week. I commuted about 25K the first year, 18K the next.

I use synthetic oil and change at 15K miles (I don't want to hear it. The oil was just as clear after 15K as what was going in.) so oil changes were cheaper.

Only down side is you'll wear your daily gear out. I got two years out of mid grade JR mesh gear and a Shoei RF-1000 helmet. While the helmet is still here the padding has been beaten out and is now loose on my head. New gear was $950 for a Shoei X11 and Tourmaster flex mesh gear. Your mileage will vary on that depending on what you wear.

My payment and insurance was covered by savings. My riding skills were far better honed than they are now with this company car. This deal I've got now goes pear shaped tomorrow I'll be commuting on the Busa soon as I find a job.

It's worth it, even with the occasional rain.

Only down side for me is having to change into "work clothes"

Must have a good view of bike or at least feel secure about where you park it. Depending on what time the typical worker has to be at work in the morning. People are in a hurry in the morning. They are also the most distracted during that time. Kids in minivan, sipping on beverage, still groggy, cell phones. If you have to be at work before the mad rush it can be great, if not then realize the extra exposure to murphy's law. Lots to consider. Just keep your self safe as best you can.
I have to be at work at 7am. Average worker in my area has to be at work earliest 8:30am. The only real annoyance for me is the soaked roads in some areas due to the city running their irrigation early in the morning. I hate getting misted by the cars in front of me. Most cops are still dunkin their donuts while I'm in transit. :thumbsup:

you will find you are much more "awake" once you get to work as opposed to driveing the car

In my humble opinion, a motorcycle is far and away the very best mode of transportation for one person, who doesn't have much to carry. Cost wise, it is very much subject to the specifics of your situation. If you're driving an old beater that is getting 8mpg, there's no doubt. If you're driving a car that is getting mileage close to the bike, then it's likely the bike is costing more to ride. If you really want to be as cost effective as possible, just work at reducing maintenance costs on the bike, mainly tires.

I love commuting on the bike.:thumbsup:

I ride to work every day I can. In the end, I would say that I ride to work 90% - 95% of the time. I live in Georgia, so even in December you will see me on the bike.

My other vehicle to get me to work is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V-8 that gets about 12 MPG in town. The bike pays for itself on my 25 mile one way commute to work.

Commuting on the Busa has it's downfalls ....clothes are sweaty when I get to work, from wearing gear - hair all messed up from the lid - racking up the miles can get expensive with tire changes - get caught in the rain sometimes ......but then there is the advantage.....way more fun than riding in the cage ! :laugh:

pros:
riding
if weather great = AWESOME!
makes you wana go to work early and leave work early!
quicker - no traffic issues
u will look cooler (just had to say that!)

cons:
more risk
if weathers bad = wish weather was good:laugh:
when I have important meetings to attend I find it very inconvenient to have to carry my meeting clothes, tie/shirt etc... and I end up looking very unprepared and un-fresh... I usually wear full gear.
prone to theft
sudden weather change could be a Beeeeeatch!

I take any opportunity I get to ride, no matter what, and despite the minor cons!

Only down side for me is having to change into "work clothes"

+1. also it takes me a little more time to get on and off the bike. i have my boots, jacket, and helmet on. I wait for the bike 2 warm up. I have a back pack with tennis shoes and other misc. stuff. Plus it's real hot here. But i do it.

Ok. I am considering becoming of the daily commuters. What are the pros and the cons?

I want to save some money on gas and would like to have an excuse to ride everyday! LOL

Can you guys give me some pros and cons? Like cost savings of less fuel vs increased cost of maintainance type stuff... thanks!:beerchug:
The pro's are you'll really enjoy the heck out of your commute, and probably save on gas. The biggest con (and the reason I don't do it) is you're dealing with other people in cars. Its a numbers game, like gambling, the more you're among idiots in cages the much higher your chances become of getting hit and hurt, or even killed. I would never mix in with rush hour traffic on a bike...ever. Maintainence will go up a bit, and you won't get to work looking as pretty as if you drove, but I don't know of too many other cons.

I only live 1 mile from work, so the time spent putting on helmet and jacket is hardly worth it. Plus I don't like taking the bike on journeys where the engine doesn't get a chance to heat up properly. If I worked a couple of miles away I'd be on the bike every day.

Back