Electronic or vacuume....Pros and cons?

Duckcomando

Registered
Looking to put cruise on my bike. I have thouroghly read through both write ups in the stickies about Electronic and Vacuume. Now which would be the recommended version? What are the pros and cons of each? Looks to me that they both work good but I have read the electronic has had issues in the past. Please feel free to leave your thoughts as I want to spend the money right the first time.

The reason why I went with the vacuum version instead of the electronic was simple. At the time of purchase, the electronic was causing problems in the Hayabusa community. It would put electrical gremlins, or strange intermittent electrical problems on the Gen II.

Apparently the electrical issues have been solved and many Gen II riders are using them without any problems. I would go with whichever you feel more comfortable installing or whichever you can get cheaper. Either way, it is one of the best mods you can do to the bike. I use mine on a daily basis and don't plan to own a motorcycle without cruise for the rest of my riding life.

I dont really know pro's and con's because I have only had the electric version. I do know its one of the best mods you could ever do if you plan to do any distance riding at all.

I knew you two would chime in because you guys are the one who wrote the write ups LOL. One quick question though are the control housings you mount on your handlebars waterproof?

They are if you fill the hole in the back where the wire loom comes out. Its really more water resistant than water proof. But I can say that we rode all they way to North Carolina and back is some pretty wet weather and I had no issues. I just put some caulk in there.

Just like TTV mentioned, it can be waterproof if you do it yourself. I used a bit of a different method though, and it has worked well for me. After the control panel was mounted I went all the way around it with clear silicone and made sure no air gaps were left. I then filled the exit hole of the mount where the wires go with flexible silicone, like for your bathroom. It has worked great and I have not had one problem.

I would recommend doing the waterproofing as a friend of mine that rides a Concourse 14 did not and it was causing him problems one time during a rain storm. Mine has been great through many heavy rain sessions. It has sat outside while getting soaked while I was in at work.

There are not a lot of people that have done the mod, but I have never heard anyone complain about it after they did.

I know this does not answer your question but I went with a MECHANICAL option. Among the options out there (e.g. throttlemeister, crampbuster, plain O-ring, etc.), I picked the Brakeaway Cruise Control after reading positive reviews by another member here.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

I had a breakaway on my Honda VTX 1800. It did the job but it being mechanical isn't going to keep up with the speed like being in a car. Thanks for the input though.

FYI there is a control panel condom that you can get now... It covers the entire top of the control panel and conforms to the rocker switches.. They only cost a couple of bucks, I have one that I can put on if rain becomes an issue...

I've had a vacuum system on my Busa for 4-5 years and its bullet proof. The only time I had a problem was after moving the switches from the inner fairing to the handle bars. But that was an installer problem, not a system problem. I think the vacuum systems are becoming hard to find anymore. The mechanical options are better than nothing, but true cruise control is a much better way to go.

Ibut it being mechanical isn't going to keep up with the speed like being in a car.

Guess I am lucky with my current unit because during my 1800-mile + trip last year, I had no issues with it keeping/maintaing the speeds I set it on.

Best of luck.

Back